Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th August 2007, 09:01   #11
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

Driving abroad is great fun. Made much easier with a good sat nav.
One thing I didn't realise you should take is your log book. As you may know, my car is still in Spain after suffering HGF, and after talking to garage where it is being stored, they told me that they couldn't repair it or order parts as I didn't have proof of ownership with me, and if I'd been stopped by the police, I could recieve a large fine.

Extended European breakdown cover is a MUST. The best £50 I ever spent.

It has paid for,
The car (+ 200 bottles of wine in the boot ) being shipped home.
2 hire cars in Spain and France.
Flights home from my choice of Airport, and day, for all 4 of us.
2 extra nights in our Spanish house.
Taxi from East Midlands to Leicester.

The main thing is to have a great time.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 10:47   #12
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthetourer View Post
Watch your speed ,on the spot fines are common in France.Otherwise it's great.Only problem I had was my Dad's navigating.Taking a caravan around the Arc de Triomphe is not for the feint hearted.Was only 17 and had not long passed my test.That was in a Marina estate.
Oops? Isn't the minimum age to drive a car in France 18?

Your story reminds me of my daughter, driving my Carlton through France within a couple of months of passing her test - she'd only driven the Automatic once before, never driven on the right before, big car fully laden for the family holiday. Her own car was an old-style Panda.

I was very proud of her!!

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 10:48   #13
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Xenon headlamps have a virtually clear glass and the legend Xenon technology engraved in the glass. Regular lamps have the glass with lots of lines to direct the beam. A pic of the front end of your motor will tell all if you are still not sure.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 11:11   #14
CFS75
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

There's good advice in the previous posts and links.

I've found that every country has its own style of driving so it pays to drive defensively and watch the natives carefully!

If you stop at a pedestrian crossing in France you will get a very surprised look from the person waiting to cross. In Italy when you stop at a red traffic light there will be a blast on horns from following cars. On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!

I find that turning left at some dual carriageway crossroads can be a challenge and of course overtaking when you are driving a right hand drive car is interesting! Enjoy your holiday.
CFS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 11:36   #15
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

[QUOTE=CFS75;80579]On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!
[QUOTE]

Your not wrong there! I used to use the A57 (Autobahn) a lot, and one Saturday morning I was cruising at a steady 100mph, looked in the mirrow and saw a car a l-o-n-g way back. A few seconds later a Merc blasted past me - he must have been doing aroung 140/150 mph easily. Scarey stuff!

One last thing, which I was told when I took a British Military Driving test so I could drive in Germany; German cemetaries are full of drivers who were trying to prove they had right-of-way. In other words, 'some' drivers will have a crash because they know they are in the right! Be careful!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 16:08   #16
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

I do quite a lot of continental driving

Give way to everything is my advice, and plot your course through junctions etc. well in advance, even if that means stopping and 'assessing' the situation/route ( you will only get abuse not damaged ! )

Above all take your time and dont be intimidated by the locals
Just think of all the smug satisfaction you are giving to the drivers who think they have got one up on you !

In France particularly remember that the driver ( 6feet ) behind doesnt just want to be in front of you, he wants to be exactly where you are !

Also breakdown insurance, never had to use it myself but have seen the grief that ensues if you havent got it
Travel insurance (£50.00 a year for a couple ) is well worth it as well, yes emergency cover is free but not aftercare or medical repatriation

Good Luck

Andy
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2007, 23:10   #17
JamesP
Loves to post

Rover 75 ConnSE CDTi 131 Starlight Silver

Default Good Blind Spot Mirror

Hello Carlpenn

I would recommend you purchase a Blind Spot mirror as a number one priorty as the "Bullit" style mirrors are rather small.:SHOCKED:

A good site for route planning is and Toll pricing is

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...MaHomePage.htm

Although in car and portable sat navs are in the main very good from experience I think it is good to have a paper back up.

One last thing we always take an A4 Wallet with clear view pockets and put in the Printed Route, Registration Document, MOT Cert (if required), Insurance Cert, Travel Insurance Cert, Hotel reservation documents & Ferry -Tunnel tickets.

This really is the last thing take some Euro's with you for the Toll Roads as it can become quite expensive in Bank Charges if you use a Card to pay.
Sichere reise
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2007, 10:59   #18
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
From my time based in Germany, you need as mentioned above, spare bulbs, a petrol can with 5l of fuel, warning triangle, proper 1st aid kit, green card insurance, breakdown cover is highly recommended, headlight beam benders, GB Sticker.
Spare bulbs? Don't know ...
Warning triangle and proper 1st aid kit are a must.
You may have a petrol can, but you don't have to. But you must not take a petrol can onto a ferry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
Tatts..........regarding the GB Sticker, Can I get away with having the GB Bar on my Reg Plate? Dont want a tacky Sticker on my Bumper or does it have to be one of those horrible big white stickers?
The blue bar with the country code and the yellow stars is sufficient, as long you are from a country of the European Community (obviously) driving in a country of the EC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Very fussy, ze Germans, about tacky stickers.
( . . . eventually I can use this smiley )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS75 View Post
On an autobahn in Germany that small dot in your rear view mirror is a car approaching at nearly the speed of sound!
Yes, be careful before starting to change lane on an Autobahn. But most of the German motorways are speed restricted nowadays. Watch for the speed limit signs (

Remember, a stands for 60 kph, not 60 mph.

Have a great time and enjoy your tour!
Old 19th August 2007, 11:27   #19
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen View Post
Spare bulbs? Don't know ...
Warning triangle and proper 1st aid kit are a must.
You may have a petrol can, but you don't have to. But you must not take a petrol can onto a ferry.

The blue bar with the country code and the yellow stars is sufficient, as long you are from a country of the European Community (obviously) driving in a country of the EC.

( . . . eventually I can use this smiley )

Yes, be careful before starting to change lane on an Autobahn. But most of the German motorways are speed restricted nowadays. Watch for the speed limit signs (

Remember, a stands for 60 kph, not 60 mph.

Have a great time and enjoy your tour!
Don`t forget the high vis vest for each person traveling in the car and warning triangles. and drive
Old 19th August 2007, 18:04   #20
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Talking

Hi ,to fit beam deflectors check the hand book as it gives you a picture of the lenses and where you should cover . I just use black electricians tape and a pair of scissors . I,m doing mine next week as i'm driving to the south of Spain and looking forward to those long clear roads and cheap diesel!
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote