Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2016, 08:10   #31
Bastelmann
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer V6 2,5 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
having previously owned an S Type, which I thoroughly enjoyed driving

I changed it last year for this one

and without doubt the best car I have ever owned

But still have my two ZT's

Stu
The XF surely is a nice car but unfortunately it doesn´t look like a Jag at all. It could be just as well a Volvo, Mercedes or any other brand.
(Old German car mechanic prayer)
Bastelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 13:12   #32
Mertens34
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 v6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
To my eyes the front of the S type looks better than the 75. It's much more stately and that, IMHO, is the whole point of classic styling.

The rear end shape of the 75 looks much better than the Jag and blends better with the overall styling.

For me, the S type would be a step up from the 75 in terms of presence on th road.
^ +1

completely agree. That front grill of the s class is just pure class !
Mertens34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:59   #33
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The only S type is a proper one:-

I wish that I still had mine.
Old 8th December 2016, 16:54   #34
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Wot e says.

Apart from the styling of the rear; which is what most 75 drivers see as they try and keep up.

Hmmm I was not aware that the Rover 75 was a sports car. There was me thinking it was an executive cruiser.
Old 8th December 2016, 17:21   #35
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

A couple of days ago after filling up I was walking across the forecourt to the kiosk when a gent just leaving it stopped me and said, "lovely car mate,she's a beuty".I thanked him and watched as he walked back to and got in his Jag.Left me with a very warm feeling for the rest of the day

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 17:32   #36
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not Nice.

The Rover has a great line, it exudes class and style by simply existing, you look at it and it hits you deep inside. The Jaguar S Type has a hideous swage line along it that fails to follow the line of the car, it's thin at the front and falls away at the rear, it has no inlay and seems to be made to avoid the petrol flap. The Jaguar could have taken on the Rover if it was better made but, I see many Rovers and Jaguars in breakers equally, the defining part is that Rovers go in for stupid petty mechanical failures and, the Jaguars are eaten away by rust that condemns them to the scrapyards.
The S Type was poorly made, overly expensive and only saved because Jaguar was saved from going under. If Rover hadn't had John Towers and co, who knows what could have been?
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 17:38   #37
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
The Rover has a great line, it exudes class and style by simply existing, you look at it and it hits you deep inside. The Jaguar S Type has a hideous swage line along it that fails to follow the line of the car, it's thin at the front and falls away at the rear, it has no inlay and seems to be made to avoid the petrol flap. The Jaguar could have taken on the Rover if it was better made but, I see many Rovers and Jaguars in breakers equally, the defining part is that Rovers go in for stupid petty mechanical failures and, the Jaguars are eaten away by rust that condemns them to the scrapyards.
The S Type was poorly made, overly expensive and only saved because Jaguar was saved from going under. If Rover hadn't had John Towers and co, who knows what could have been?
Couldn't disagree more

But each to their own eh?
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 17:50   #38
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
.....If Rover hadn't had John Towers and co, who knows what could have been?
I do - nothing at all - it would have gone under in 2000.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 17:55   #39
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

My local Jaguar dealers have a display where the cars are "up in the air" and I'm one of those saddo's that has to look underneath. I was down on one knee but was not "proposing" to buy one! I was shocked at the lack of weather protection to the underside. A recipe for a rust disaster! The phrase "fur coat and no knickers" came to mind!
Old 8th December 2016, 20:01   #40
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
My local Jaguar dealers have a display where the cars are "up in the air" and I'm one of those saddo's that has to look underneath. I was down on one knee but was not "proposing" to buy one! I was shocked at the lack of weather protection to the underside. A recipe for a rust disaster! The phrase "fur coat and no knickers" came to mind!

The sills are a weak point and a cause for concern. They have plastic covers over them which hold the water, how barmy is that? The driver's door mirror on mine was a little lazy in folding, plus the plastic trim was proud of the window frame so I decided to remove it and have a look. There's a large aluminium bracket which holds the mirror to the door and being aluminium it was badly corroded and was also broken - think it had been replaced by the previous owner at sometime. New ones are the thick end of £300 so an ebay purchase was made. This was just as bad although it was all intact, unfortunately it didn't work as it should but at least I was able to cannabalise mine to get it working. I had to have a new radiator fitted as it was showing signs of "distress" have heard other owners with the same problem though. A dealer spare key is £300+, it's the same from an independent, managed to get one for less than half from my local MG dealer. How ironic is that?

It was the only car I would swap my ZT for, always promised myself a Jag and I do like the look of the S-Type, but taste, style and looks are an individual thing. It is a very nice drive; very smooth and there's plenty left under the right foot. It has a beautiful growl from the V6 when pressed. When retirement arrives in a couple of years I fancy doing the continent again, did it on a bike many, many years ago, think it will be an ideal car to do it in.

No regrets, but I have very fond memories of my ZT and miss it; if I had bought a 180 sport instead of the 1.8T back in 2010 maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have sold it.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 8th December 2016 at 20:21..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote