Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2023, 15:57   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default DAB adaptor

Is anyone using a DAB adaptor with an original Rover stereo?

Was thinking about changing my radio but am wondering about a DAB adaptor.

Looking for peoples thoughts on them

thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 14:27   #2
paulonsite
Loves to post

ZT CDTi Auto

Default DAB Adaptor

Obviously there's loads of different ways to do it. You're just needing to get an electrical signal from A to B. However, a non invasive route is a compromise.

The method I use is this cassette adapter with my Pure PocketDAB.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184218971...3ABFBMurnosrdh

My stereo is the ZT MK2s' Kenwood. NONE of these adapaters are any real "good". NONE. I tried a whole range of them from Philips, SONY, Belkin and this was the best. I paid £9.99... even at that it is fine so at £3 it's bonkers.

The afore mentioned 3 Japanese manufacturers' were upwards of £30 second hand. Monster used to do one (begrudgingly) and it was very good but the brand got sold and the ones carrying that name now are rubbish (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154914047...Bk9SR8S56LK3YQ).

As you can see in the photos the cable is thin, so not much dialetic in there, and it's a cassette shell. What most suffer very badly from is:-

1. excessive mechanism vibration;
2. poor head quality, so the cassette on your symphony struggles to detect the audio voltage needed;
3. sudden disengagement and fast forwarding if the DAB signal is lost. the tape deck thinks it's a gap and tries to MS for the next track.

This one only midly suffers from that, and round town it's fine but on a longer journey it's an issue. The jack lead acts as your aerial and its not good enough when signals fade, causing point 3 to happen more often. Wrapping the lead around the body of the DAB helps a bit.

Audio quality is so/so and of course it's mono, despite the appearance of the 3.5mm jack. That's because the 'head' in this type of thing can only be unidirectional, even on the Sony Discman one.

I use it for 5Live and local football commentary so the quality doesnt bother me. Chriserable Sutton sounds just as disappointed in poor mono as he does in HiFi stereo.

Longer term if [I had the money] I would invest in one of those BMW interfaces you can get hard wired in. Fitting is expensive though.

Good luck, for the sake of £3 you're getting DAB stations and good-enough quality.

Paul.

Last edited by paulonsite; 16th January 2023 at 14:36..
paulonsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 15:29   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

thank you for the information

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote