Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2011, 00:23   #41
Space_1999
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

He's absolutely right about the tracking.

You mentioned the Mrs put it in the hedge a few weeks ago - that would have put it out (even more).

Even 4 matched budget tyres at the right pressures (too hard = less grip) with correct tracking should give a stable, safe car in the wet.

Better tyres will give you better ultimate grip in the wet and dry, and nicer steering and superior noise and wear characteristics - you get what you pay for. But Rover 75s are hardly under-tyred so even so-so brand tyres should be safe - providing the tracking and pressures are spot on.

Matched tyres are always best - if you can't do this then at least match 'em across the axles (i.e. 2 Toyos, 2 Barums); a random mix of 4 cheapos with the wrong pressures and tracking is asking for trouble.

If you've ever had a motorbike you'll realise the tyres are life savers, so don't neglect them or take the Mick. Get 'em sorted!
Space_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 00:28   #42
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_1999 View Post
He's absolutely right about the tracking.

You mentioned the Mrs put it in the hedge a few weeks ago - that would have put it out (even more).

Even 4 matched budget tyres at the right pressures (too hard = less grip) with correct tracking should give a stable, safe car in the wet.

Better tyres will give you better ultimate grip in the wet and dry, and nicer steering and superior noise and wear characteristics - you get what you pay for. But Rover 75s are hardly under-tyred so even so-so brand tyres should be safe - providing the tracking and pressures are spot on.

Matched tyres are always best - if you can't do this then at least match 'em across the axles (i.e. 2 Toyos, 2 Barums); a random mix of 4 cheapos with the wrong pressures and tracking is asking for trouble.

If you've ever had a motorbike you'll realise the tyres are life savers, so don't neglect them or take the Mick. Get 'em sorted!

Or... Put square wheels on.... Not only can't she go so fast.... She can't put her make up on either....eeek.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 08:32   #43
Hengist
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Had a week of running with the Nexens now and things are hugely improved. Had a thought when the wheels were off, and right enough, the front drop links needed replacing too. Not desperately, but waggly enough to do.

New pair for £22 (Delphi brand) off the local motor factor, one old one unbolted OK, had to saw the other one off at both ends.

Sorted.

Angus
Hengist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 12:02   #44
rover sd1
Avid contributor

blue mg zs mk2 2005 ignition blue and mg zt 1.8 t copperleaf red

try bridgestone tyres they arent that expensive and also are quite good in both wet and dry modelwe have is i think regza or something like that anyway
rover sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:31   #45
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Depends what you mean by not too expensive. I have bridgestones and they are £157 each! They grip well, but are noisy.
Old 20th June 2011, 22:32   #46
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Canna be too bad if you can get round some of those corners on the road from Oldmeldrum at any kind of speed ... or the Ythanbank road, either.

Currently looking at a set of Nexen CP643A delivered and fitted for £385 all-in, off tyretraders.co.uk

Angus
Mine came with Nexen fitted and no complaints from me wet or dry. I've never had any slip apart on wet grass or ice etc..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 01:40   #47
rover775
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

i have only have ever used branded tyres on my cdti, and have found bridgestones noisey but good in the wet pirelli rossio are very good esp with the new tread, but best all around tyre for the 75/Zt is conti 3s for comfort noise and wet and dry handling and are well priced, standard fit on 18in MG Rover alloys, once you have used premium branded tyres you wont want to use any of these cheap brand tyres other 75/ZT members seem to be using, and dont forget 4 wheel alignment
rover775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 12:02   #48
rover sd1
Avid contributor

blue mg zs mk2 2005 ignition blue and mg zt 1.8 t copperleaf red

oh thats probably cause they were half price at quick fit when we got them
rover sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote