Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2020, 20:18   #21
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralalcatraz View Post
Is that what happens when you play with a 75/ZT in the bath?
Very possibly
Old 16th February 2020, 11:48   #22
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

I have news!

I appreciate, I havent made much progress with Puddles recently. Mainly due to alot going on at work and the weather being terrible. I also got slightly annoyed when went into the lock up last week and found half a spring coil on the floor

However, I had written a list of things that I would need. I hadnt got to the point of pricing everything, but working on 'guesstimation' I was expecting somewhere between £500-700. This was everything, engine, suspension brakes and interior.

If I remember when I am next at work I will post a picture of my list......

So essentially what I have done/am doing, basically boiled down to what alot of you have probably experienced, I bought another 75 .

It is merely as a parts car, before I get jumped on for 'killing' one, I have paid £150 for a 55 plate Classic T, it was being broken for parts anyway by someone on facebook, I asked about a price for the whole car and they said £150, it is missing catalytic converter, battery, fuel tank and fuel pump and has a blown headgasket and has a logbook already sent as scrapped. I feel bad that its not getting saved. But it will be resurrecting Puddles. I will also be taking EVERYTHING off the shell. So once I have taken what I need, anybody that would like anything else is welcome to help themselves. So at least that way it will be keeping others on the road.

It also means I have alot of spares for Puddles and my Club SE should I need them.

So hopefully once I get a spurt of good weather in the spring and summer there will be alot of progress sort of all at once. But I will also use the same thread with progress on breaking down the parts car.

Thanks for following along.....

Last edited by admiralalcatraz; 16th February 2020 at 11:54..
admiralalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 19:10   #23
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

I'm watching this thread with much interest!

It's nice to see a K-series being saved from the scrapper for a change.
They will probably be the most rare breed of 75 at the rate they're disappearing.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2020, 15:25   #24
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

TWO UPDATES THIS WEEK, TWO!

PARTS CAR

So as I said in my last post, I bought a parts car. I paid the £150 for a 55 plate Classic T, registered December 2005.

I havent got any history or paperwork with it, apart from the logbook, I had said before it had been sent as scrap but I managed to get in before it was sent. Its has had a some parts removed in a not so gentle fashion. The fuel sender has been removed, however instead of removing the rear seat base it has been bent upwards. There is a lot of coolant pipes that have been cut out, the turbo is on the back seat along with half of the down pipe (there is no catalytic converter.) The header tank is also snapped off and a hole broken into the air box.

From what the gent I bought it from said, it was an man in his 90s that owned it before him until December 2018 when he passed away. The car had just had fitted new lower arms and some welding (which looks awful). The previous owned collected it from the family and got his son to drive it back, he then, in his words 'gave it death' and the top radiator hose blew off at which point it sat, it was last MOT tested in November 2018 and has done 340 since.
Aside from getting it back, I have cleared the Plenum and thats it.

I was quite shocked to see that it has full black leather, which, being a classic, I wouldnt of thought would be fitted. Could this just simply be with it being registered after production had 'stopped', that it was completed with whatever was left? The interior is complete although its is disgustingly filthy.

PUDDLES

I headed down to the lockup today, the mould inside is alot worse (SEE LAST PHOTO). I got her started and pulled it outside to air with the doors open and blew the tyres back up.

I am going to have to drill small holes in the floor to drain the water out (I can just weld them shut again before the carpet goes in, the moisture is starting to make the electrics go a bit doolally. The ignition keeps coming on and off without the key in the car and the brake lights keep coming on even when there is nobody near the car. Its going to be alot of hard work come the summer, but I am hoping it will be worth it.

Last edited by admiralalcatraz; 18th February 2020 at 15:34..
Old 18th February 2020, 18:41   #25
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

I work in a hotel, so can completely agree how strange people can be.

I havent got a plan set in stone yet, I am waiting for better weather, however, I think I am going to pull the engine and gearbox from the donor car. essentially 'rebuild' it. I arent expecting to have to touch the bottom end, but it will have all new gaskets, timing belt, water pump and a new clutch with slave cylinder. Then swap them over..... Although plans can change....
Old 18th February 2020, 19:50   #26
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I bought a ZR with a freshly rebuilt 1.8 engine. Done on a work bench and used to replace the cooked one.
It was a truly outstanding engine with zero faults in 3 years and performance beyond my expectations. Only sold the car as age and rust were taking its toll but the engine was still perfect. It’s just a great pity they left the factory as fragile as they were.
For sheer enjoyment my 75 1.8T was the best 75 I’ve owned. Light and responsive steering, performance and quality. You can see why modifiers put them into other cars.
Good luck with the project.
Old 18th February 2020, 22:51   #27
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

I have all the time in the world to be honest. I have my 2000 Club SE and a German coupe too..... I would rather it take me 2 years and it be done right.
Old 1st August 2020, 22:17   #28
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

How are you getting on with the wife's old car? She had it from new - now has a Mini.

Steve
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote