Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2019, 12:06   #11
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Whilst this topic has been covered before, it’s a useful way to see how others source their parts and how good or bad quality they are.
I’ve just used 4 suppliers to buy new front springs, shocks, drop links and top strut bearings. Smaller add on bits renewed too so the whole front is new.
We try to get 3 years service out of older cars and in sure I will post up how the cars fairs over the next few years.
I was only going to replace the drop links as they were knocking but once I found plenty of pre Christmas sales it made sense to take advantage of the heavy discounts on offer.
At least with all new parts, it may just last better?
Old 12th December 2019, 15:51   #12
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
But then our old cars are a shrinking market so actually producing parts for obsolete cars is a risk in itself for manufacturers/suppliers ?.

Chris
I don't think volume has much to do with quality, I have a Jensen Interceptor and there are only a few hundred here in the UK and probably a few hundred more scattered around the world but parts availability is not too bad. Most parts are available ex stock and most are of good quality. The prices are reasonable on most items, even the discs brakes that are unique for the car are £100 each for example.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 16:14   #13
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Fast becoming more of a throw away society.

Don't fix, just scrap it

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 16:17   #14
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I don't think volume has much to do with quality, I have a Jensen Interceptor and there are only a few hundred here in the UK and probably a few hundred more scattered around the world but parts availability is not too bad. Most parts are available ex stock and most are of good quality. The prices are reasonable on most items, even the discs brakes that are unique for the car are £100 each for example.
That could be part of the problem, bet you wouldn't get anyone to pay 100 each for rover 75 discs.

They want a pair for 25 quid.

BORN
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Old 12th December 2019, 17:37   #15
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
That could be part of the problem, bet you wouldn't get anyone to pay 100 each for rover 75 discs.

They want a pair for 25 quid.
They might want them for £25 but they will be junk in 18 months or less, a decent quality front discs will cost you about £100 even for a Rover 75. You should drive some of the German stuff on the market at the moment a quality disc for an S6 is over £500 each and there are thousand of those on the roads around the world.

I don't get it, the car is probably the second most valuable thing most of us own yet people try and run them like they are disposable. Poor quality and cheapskate maintenance will see the end of many cars as eventually the cost of the doing all the jobs properly will cost more than it is worth. Do it properly with quality parts and materials and it will last you a lot longer.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 18:41   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
They might want them for £25 but they will be junk in 18 months or less, a decent quality front discs will cost you about £100 even for a Rover 75. You should drive some of the German stuff on the market at the moment a quality disc for an S6 is over £500 each and there are thousand of those on the roads around the world.

I don't get it, the car is probably the second most valuable thing most of us own yet people try and run them like they are disposable. Poor quality and cheapskate maintenance will see the end of many cars as eventually the cost of the doing all the jobs properly will cost more than it is worth. Do it properly with quality parts and materials and it will last you a lot longer.
I would worry if I thought my car was the second most valuable thing I own

The top and bottom of the matter is this, I would happily pay a premium for a premium quality spare part, however there are scant few good quality spare parts available for a car out of production for fourteen years, and a manufacturer that has not existed for the same period of time.

Only enthusiasts, or people wanting a disposable car own any MG Rover offering now, and component manufacturers are not going to make a premium quality component for what is ostensibly an end of life banger.

Even so called "genuine" parts are no guarantee of quality, so I would question the pricing argument for example front disc pair of genuine MGR parts HERE as opposed to aftermarket HERE

I purchased a full set of Unipart discs, pads and shoes for one of the fleet before Unipart stopped retailing hard parts........total price was less than £100 inclusive of VAT, are these of poor quality? I think not.

There is of course within the motor trade, a practice of giving the customer "perceived value" by artificially inflating prices, and 40% markup on parts is commonplace.

I feel that being part of the problem

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 22:56   #17
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I would say 40% mark up is a conservative estimate IMO at least one supposedly “good” trader is marking up more like 100% compared to their purchase costs.

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 23:15   #18
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Perhaps we are are approaching the point were these cars will no longer be viable transport, and duff parts won't be a problem because the best cars will become trailer queens just for shows.

BORN
Old 12th December 2019, 23:38   #19
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Perhaps we are are approaching the point were these cars will no longer be viable transport, and duff parts won't be a problem because the best cars will become trailer queens just for shows.
Almost inevitable. The youngest are 14 years old and classed as bangers with a P/X value of £500.
I’m loving the term “trailer queen” but in 10 years it will be a common sight. Daily drivers will reduce and be replaced by prime examples.
A long time friend always had a daily car rather than try and keep his piece of exotica on the road every day. My V6 has just been sold and was hardly ever my daily car.
Old 13th December 2019, 03:07   #20
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I live several thousand miles from the nearest ZT parts supplier.
I am in the position where airfreight customs duty etc. often cost as much as the parts I buy so I try to be a careful shopper and buy either the best or parts that have had consistently good reviews. I haven't been stuck with a load of junk parts although a few items haven't met expectations. I did learn a few things about what to buy and not buy in 6 previous years of MGF ownership.
My go-to supplier is Rimmers due to their online catalog and ordering system, their very efficient picking and shipping (Although lately their out the door time has suffered. They may be getting to be too successful) and their excellent customer service. On more than one occasion they have sent me replacement parts without complaint by UPS 2-day shipping even though the shipping cost them more than the part was worth. I have had good experiences with other UK suppliers but none have been as consistent as Rimmers, (although E-Car Parts comes close.)
And FWIW my ZT190 is my daily driver to the tune of 75km a day.
To date it has been very reliable and I am hoping that continues for the next year or so till retirement. Fingers firmly crossed and knocking on wood.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 13th December 2019 at 03:16..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote