Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 13:37   #11
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I doubt that electrical is more than a short lived fad.
They are really not any better than internal combustion engines, unless the electricity is generated by water, wind or sun.

The only seriously good solution is hydrogen. Created with clean energy and stored suitably. That would solve a whole host of problems and, I think, be the way forward.
Old 20th September 2019, 15:58   #12
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I doubt that electrical is more than a short lived fad.
They are really not any better than internal combustion engines, unless the electricity is generated by water, wind or sun.

The only seriously good solution is hydrogen. Created with clean energy and stored suitably. That would solve a whole host of problems and, I think, be the way forward.
I agree electrical cars are fads and the next generation is yet to made, and oil is in short supply and Electric cars take too many barrels to make them... combustion engines may make a return in another format of fuel instead of good old four star, electrical nope, never.........used and scrapped and no future in those here today gone on friday....

combustion engine with another fuel intake of ???? YES THATS THE WAY
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:06   #13
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I agree, I can't see it being electric. We had electric milk floats when I was a kid, so they have had many years to develop electric vehicles, but still a long long way off yet.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:27   #14
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I’m not convinced that there will be any ‘classic’ cars in the future, certainly not ones that the ‘average Joe’ can tinker with in their man cave (or indeed woman cave)
Cars are already getting to the stage where the technology onboard and the equipment required for repair/diagnostics is beyond the reach of amateur mechanics/enthusiasts and it’s only likely to get worse, especially with EVs and any future tech.

There’s hopefully going to have to be some sort of scheme or legislation to allow the (limited) use of the classics we already have, otherwise there’s going to be an uprising!

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:46   #15
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

im not bothered really just hope i keep,on driving and keep the old 75 on the road for as long as i can.. be time the electric cars come into full force ill be 94 years old thats if i make it that far lol rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:47   #16
350zwelgje
Avid contributor

75 KV6 2.5 3x Rover 75 CDT

Petrols: Convert it to 'burn' hydrogen and we can drive as long as we want as there is only water coming out of the exhaust
It is like lpg, only the tank needs a lot of pressure, but nothing that cannot be done. This is my plan for the petrol classics, for the diesel 75 that I want to keep, put 'blue' diesel in it and it should be ok, or not?

Rob
Old 20th September 2019, 18:48   #17
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zwelgje View Post
Petrols: Convert it to 'burn' hydrogen and we can drive as long as we want as there is only water coming out of the exhaust
It is like lpg, only the tank needs a lot of pressure, but nothing that cannot be done. This is my plan for the petrol classics, for the diesel 75 that I want to keep, put 'blue' diesel in it and it should be ok, or not?

Rob
AS LONG AS IT IS NOT RED!! or police man Bill will be along LOL
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 19:26   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I believe technology is regulated, it has to be as otherwise the world would implode. Manufacturers already have the future in their hands, but too much too soon is not always a good thing.

The slow progression of innovation is preferred to help the global economy, but the powers that be already have the future mapped out, its just a case of guiding the the rest of us through a transition period so not to cause panic.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 19:44   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freck View Post
I’m not convinced that there will be any ‘classic’ cars in the future, certainly not ones that the ‘average Joe’ can tinker with in their man cave (or indeed woman cave)
Cars are already getting to the stage where the technology onboard and the equipment required for repair/diagnostics is beyond the reach of amateur mechanics/enthusiasts and it’s only likely to get worse, especially with EVs and any future tech.
How many of the current generation of 'yoof' will be prepared to get their hands dirty in this 'entitled day and age' where everything is if it cant be replaced, it cant be fixed? It is this that will reduce the 'need' for the knowledge to become an 'average joe' who can tinker with their cars.

--------------------------------------

I was looking for something else on Youtube, and one of the suggested videos was THIS. Audi A5 Quattro. If there is a will, there will be a way.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 21:01   #20
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I do sometimes regret selling my Scimitar GTE. Despite being a 3 litre V6 Ford Essex engine it ran so clean it impressed MOT testers every year. A rebuilt carburettor helped achieve that.
Fuel, compression and a spark and it would run. No ECU, no ABS or other gizmos. It was all down to the driver and I soon learned to drive in snow in my Austin 1100 and Ford Cortina. Today I push a snow button.
How can an EV be a classic? Will people find them nostalgic and quaint because the range was only 150 miles? Cars then may do 250 miles ha ha.
There has always been outstanding engineering that has captured the enthusiast. A friend is heavily into Riley motor cars. One from the 1920’s and another from early 1930’s. Stunning how much quality engineering of the time made them what they were. Over engineered, yes. 2.5 ton car pulled by a 1.5 litre engine. They were made to the requirements of the day rather than cutting edge future vision of what a car should become. They were carriages pulled by an engine instead of horses.
I really can’t see the EV on offer from loads of manufacturers and being broadly identical being desirable. Add the fact that manufacturers are sharing platforms and technology and even merging to save development costs it will become classic badge engineering. Sound familiar?