Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: Why I own a diesel
I do space miles and a diesel is the only option 39 29.32%
I got it cheap, just to see me over to the next car 5 3.76%
I bought it new 3 2.26%
I didn't want a V6 24 18.05%
I didn't want a 1.8 32 24.06%
It's the only engine type for me 51 38.35%
I don't know, or don't care (someone always asks for this option) 17 12.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd March 2015, 18:34   #41
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

After 30 years of company cars, I suddenly had to buy my own - on a limited budget. I needed a diesel, and a heavy car too, to pull my tin tent - which the Rover has done with no problems at all. From North of Inverness to Southern Cornwall, via The Derbyshire Dales and lots of other places in between, it has never missed a beat with 1450kgs hanging on the towball.
Lowest mpg? - 32.4 - from Perth to Inverness up the A9 - with the 'van on the back.
Best mpg? - 48.5 - tootling around Cornwall sightseeing
It has failed to start once in 4 years - my own fault for flattening the battery by injudicious use of a 12 volt inspection lamp

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:43   #42
mccano
Loves to post

MG ZTT,Chrysler 300 Touring

I have covered 366000 miles since 2002, first with a 75 Tourer and then with a ZTT since 2005, plus 100000 odd miles with a diesel Chrysler 300.
Diesel was really the only sensible option, bearing in mind that diesel is cheaper in all of Europe apart UK and Switzerland. On top of that in day to day running the torque of a well chipped diesel can embarass very expensive machinery.
When I was younger I hated diesel cars and had a number of Golf GTI's 16 valves, Audi A3 turbo etcetera, but I am now fully converted. I have to admit however that a petrol V6 in full song plays a different music..
mccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:44   #43
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

your first option is the only one which is an actual reason for buying a Diesel Rich...

You missed stuff like...

Reliability
Smoothness
Low band power
Economy (bit of the first one)
ease of maintenance

just saying "cos I did not want a 1.8" does not do the marque justice

I bought mine for all of the above...
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:44   #44
cazemi
Loves to post

75 oil burner ZX12R,ZRX1200R VN 1500,Uncle Bunt hardtail chop,

i wasnt bothered that it was diesel, i was encouraged by the chain engine & had heard horror stories about the v6 cambelts & price of clutches. since talking to Marinabrian it seems a manual would have been a good idea, but mine was at a fair price & at £47 per 300 miles i'm not complaining (round the doors) about the auto. i don't do stella miles & £50 usually lasts me a month of commuting & pottering about. that £50 will no doubt last a couple of months now as both my bikes will be getting used much more now the weather is getting better up here.
my rather large Akita is getting on & struggled to get in my Prelude, the 75 gives him his own door & window & saves me getting a face-full of snot when he sneezes.
the Rover was very much a "needed a car so bought it" purchase & i was determined not to like it, my mates? call it the "Over 75" & took the p*ss but i love it now-well i will once i've got the fuel pump back in-although it may be flogged once its tidied up properly & replaced with a zt. apparently the govt are looking at punitive taxes for diesels.........
cazemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:53   #45
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I wanted a tow car as I'm a caravanner.

Why buy a 75? It was suggested to me. Wife tried but could not find herself liking a Mondeo. BMW and Mercs just not for me, nor is "French". Jap did not do what I wanted.
Why did I buy this Diesel 75, condition, mileage and colour inside and out.
How many cars did I look at before buying this one? 1
what was the worst thing about my car when I got it? It did not have cruise control, it does now thanks to this forum.
The one thing I wish it had? A sun roof.
I am a fan of petrol cars as they are quieter but I have to say my 75 Diesel has impressed me immensely.

What would I replace my 75 with? Currently a choice of 2 cars, another 75 or a Jag.

If I could get a MKII 2 diesel with a sun roof and Firefrost in colour with less then 40k
and immaculate body work for silly (little) money I would really have to consider it.
Do I need it? No Would it be in the way? yes

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:06   #46
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

Although I would love a petrol, was aware of the issues with 1.8's, and couldn't afford to run a V6 (but would still love one) so after a friend persuaded me to try a diesel, went and test drove a CDTi. Boy was I impressed, so impressed I bought it. Also good for towing the caravan and economical, plus cheaper tax. Well please with mine. Love it.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:16   #47
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I wanted a tow car as I'm a caravanner.

Why buy a 75? It was suggested to me. Wife tried but could not find herself liking a Mondeo. BMW and Mercs just not for me, nor is "French". Jap did not do what I wanted.
Why did I buy this Diesel 75, condition, mileage and colour inside and out.
How many cars did I look at before buying this one? 1
what was the worst thing about my car when I got it? It did not have cruise control, it does now thanks to this forum.
The one thing I wish it had? A sun roof.
I am a fan of petrol cars as they are quieter but I have to say my 75 Diesel has impressed me immensely.

What would I replace my 75 with? Currently a choice of 2 cars, another 75 or a Jag.

If I could get a MKII 2 diesel with a sun roof and Firefrost in colour with less then 40k
and immaculate body work for silly (little) money I would really have to consider it.
Do I need it? No Would it be in the way? yes

macafee2
Love cruise, use it nearly all the time, would not have bought my car without it.
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:18   #48
cengar
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon cdti

After checking with my local engineering shop the only Rover engine they have never taken apart was the 75 diesal nuff said
cengar
cengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:21   #49
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccano View Post
I have covered 366000 miles since 2002, first with a 75 Tourer and then with a ZTT since 2005, plus 100000 odd miles with a diesel Chrysler 300.
Diesel was really the only sensible option, bearing in mind that diesel is cheaper in all of Europe apart UK and Switzerland. On top of that in day to day running the torque of a well chipped diesel can embarass very expensive machinery.
When I was younger I hated diesel cars and had a number of Golf GTI's 16 valves, Audi A3 turbo etcetera, but I am now fully converted. I have to admit however that a petrol V6 in full song plays a different music..
You mention 'chipping', is it possible to increase my MPG by this method - is this a common practice with Diesel 75's or is there another method I could try ?
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:33   #50
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Why diesel?Always, for more than 50 years, I have been in contact with diesel cars/HGV's. I have driven petrol lorries, what a load of rubbish. The maintenance of both types of engine are similar. The performance of the diesel is, in my learned experience, a much better experience than the petrol when used properly. The confines of the diesel is outwayed by the sound of the V6, when under acceleration but, that is only when "excessive" revs are used. Very pleasing too. The diesel does not need to rev to practically achieve the same kind of acceleration. The diesel is more economical, and overall much more reliable than a petrol engine. (My experience) Modern diesels are a more relaxing way of transport in all aspects. Cruise all day at 80/90 mph (abroad of course) and still achieve 50 mpg in my 75. What modern petrol will do that? Yes the Vauxhall Insignia diesel does over 70 mpg. No it does not. My brother-in-law has one and it does around 48 according to him. So even 13 years down the line, the Rover 75 still takes some beating. Yes I know it stinks, but only the diesel fuel.