Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2016, 10:40   #31
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

I've contacted both Trading Standards offices. I've found an email address for the owners of the filling station and sent a complaint in. I'll wait for a response from them before contacting the local press, but I've drafted an email to them already. I've asked my garage for a written report and for a sample of the water/fuel mix extracted from the injectors. All else fails it will have to be the small claims court, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Unfortunately my local garage can't look at the car until Wednesday/Thursday this week, so I'm without a car until at least then. I'll have to see if I can get a colleague to give me a lift in to work.

Not been a good few days.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 11:28   #32
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Hi sorry to hear of your troubles, just out of interest, how did the garage discover there was a considerable amount of water in the tank, they must have checked as a matter of course.

By the way, there are fuel additives that can be added to the tank that help mix the fuel with water in order to help disperse the latter, I think Wynn make a product. Best of luck.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 13:02   #33
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

They showed me a jam jar with about 100ml of fluid in it that they said had come out of the injectors. I don't think they've taken anything directly out of the tank.
It appeared to be some sort of mix of oil and water.

Judging by the proportion of water that appeared to be in the jar, I think there's going to be too much water for an additive to have much effect???

He estimated £300-400 to empty the tank, clean the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. Then we have to hope the injectors aren't damaged.
Old 25th June 2016, 14:09   #34
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I know it is easy to say, can you not just drain the fuel yourself, from the rear seat? Fill it up and take it for a good drive. Even if it means replacing the fuel filter twice. The longer it stands, the more the chance of damage.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 14:15   #35
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
From the response I got on the phone, I don't think that's going to do any good. I've submitted a complaint direct to Gulf Oil via their website. Personally I suspect that they know they've got a problem, which is why they've shut the diesel pumps down.
Hmmm suspicious that ....
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 15:58   #36
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I know it is easy to say, can you not just drain the fuel yourself, from the rear seat? Fill it up and take it for a good drive. Even if it means replacing the fuel filter twice. The longer it stands, the more the chance of damage.
Maybe... except I've never done that before and I don't know how.
I do have a 6.5l Sealey oil sucker, but the fuel tank's full and it will take a lot of emptying. (The garage were talking about removing the tank completely).
Plus there's the problem of what to do with the contaminated fuel once I've done that.
Also, the car's now half a mile away from my house on the forecourt of a garage... so getting it back here might be a problem.

I suppose I could call the AA out again but for a mis-fuel problem and see if they'll drain the tank...
Old 25th June 2016, 16:08   #37
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Maybe... except I've never done that before and I don't know how.
I do have a 6.5l Sealey oil sucker, but the fuel tank's full and it will take a lot of emptying. (The garage were talking about removing the tank completely).
Plus there's the problem of what to do with the contaminated fuel once I've done that.
Also, the car's now half a mile away from my house on the forecourt of a garage... so getting it back here might be a problem.

I suppose I could call the AA out again but for a mis-fuel problem and see if they'll drain the tank...

As I said talk is easy maybe try the AA , as it is something they do. Removing the tank does seem a bit over board??
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 16:18   #38
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Yeah, you could be right.
If I'd been thinking straight I should have gone out this afternoon and bought a couple of new fuel filters... didn't think of that until too late.

Part of me thinks just get the garage to fix it all and claim the money back from the petrol station... but I suspect I'm going to have a fight on my hands to get the money back. In which case I'm better off getting the AA to do the draining and keep costs to a minimum.

I'm going to sleep on it... and maybe call the AA tomorrow.
Old 25th June 2016, 17:36   #39
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts
Default AA sub it out I think.

Mis-Fueled mine. Self inflicted therefore AA wanted £150 to drain tank. I am sure they sub it out. There will be independents local to you. Suggest you get them to do it on the garage forecourt.
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 18:07   #40
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Hi Ade
I don't know if this helps but you might find on some insurance policies you've also got insurance against misfuelling I'm absolutely certain that on an Axa policy it's covered because I checked my policy and it was on there,

I think removing the tank is a little overboard, I drain all the fuel out my cars when I break them, and all you need is a electric pump and access to both sides of the saddle tank by removing the tops underneath the seats and draining it by suction, I would also add wins into the fuel system to help remove Excess moisture,
Obviously this is just my opinion, but I'm saying this because it may be a much cheaper option for you,
Hope that helps Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote