Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2016, 12:01   #1
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Default My First Run Out With The Old Car Club Again!

Last time I went on a day out was with the Rover 75 1.8T in April 2014 and was told that my car was too new to be included in the club photograph which upset me.
I never went on another outing again and talked about it on here.

Anyway many things have happened since and I rejoined the Torbay Old Wheels Club again because a friend of mine wanted to know why I never came back, I told him and things were brought up with the Chairman.

Now all cars whether a modern classic or vintage or classic are welcome which is how it should be.
They cost enough money to keep on the road.

So yesterday Sunday they had a Treasure Hunt where you drive around some ridiculously narrow lanes through villages I have never been to let alone heard of before and answer clues.

Being as I was on my own I just went for the run because there were a couple of other owners who were not interested in the Treasure Hunt so I followed them.

I did try and drag one of my friends along but when he asked what time I was leaving, 8.15am on a Sunday morning didn't appeal to him plus he got blitzed watching the Rugby.

Fair enough it doesn't bother me.

Sunday the weather was cold but dry and sunny with a brisk icy wind but at least it was dry.
The MG ZT was gleaming and off I went over to Totnes to meet up in a car park.

The total mileage for the Treasure Hunt was 39.9 miles which doesn't sound far but you do it in two half's with a coffee and food stop at 11am.

The first stop was at the Avon Mill Garden Centre which I have never been to before.
I don't know what it is with car clubs but they are all foodies.
I had a large Americano coffee and being naughty 2 slices of carrot cake which I just adore.

Left there at 12 and off we went again meandering through some some stupidly narrow lanes.
In a couple of lanes my wing mirrors were touching each hedge in places!

We had three breakdowns and one slight issue the 1959 MKI Mini wouldn't start in the carpark at the Garden Centre.
My mates 1963 Vauxhall Victor Estate also refused to start a couple of times.
Lastly the P1800 Volvo died on the hill coming up out of Slapton just before Strete, that caused mayhem as there were some ignorant drivers who seem to think they have the right to bury their hands in the horn.

The slight issue was the Morris 8 having gearbox selection issues on a hill, that was quite funny because the fancy BMW behind quickly moved backwards.
At least he was patient and waited, Julian the Chairman whose car it was, said occasionally the 'old girl' plays up.
Once he got her going again he pulled over and let the BMW go, which resulted in the driver and passengers waving as they went past which was nice to see.

You learn never to get too near any of the Vintage Cars if the have issues because I have seen what one did to the front of a Mondeo.
The old car drove away happily and the Mondeo had to go off on a breakdown truck.

Now lunch had been booked for 1.30pm at The Sportsmans Arms which was a Carvery, price £9.95, which was superb.

There was 16 cars and 36 people and they award a Trophy for this event as it's the main Treasure Hunt for the year.
Out of a score of 73 the highest team got 69 right but they did have 3 people in a car which does help.

Got stuck on a couple of roads for a while because there was a Cycle Race going on, you had to wait or drive slowly.
The support crews however don't hang around.

My total mileage for the day was 68.7 miles and I used about 2.5 gallons of diesel, which I reckon isn't bad due to some of the roads I went up and down, a couple were definitely steep plus went through two Ford's.

My car now is covered in red dust which is the Devon soil and the sides are filthy, will need another clean this week.

I don't have any photographs but I know my mate took some some so will grab some off him.

We couldn't park all together in the car parks as they were busy.

Plus came across two very nice cars one was an Aston Martin Vanquish in a colour similar to Firefrost Red and a Ferrari Spider, they must have struggled though to get through the lane we were on at the time because it was narrow.

I had a very good day out with superb food and some amazing scenery to look at with good company.

Looking forward to the next run.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 17:08   #2
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Great write up Sounds like a brilliant day
Old 14th March 2016, 19:53   #3
buckyhill
Loves to post

mg ztt and mg rv8 and mgtf

I have had MG cars for over forty years and went to many MG shows and meets on my own or with one of my sons, enjoyed the day but never spoke to anybody.

About five years ago I was working at a site when the subject of MG ownership come up and a guy fitting a electric door said he had a MGB and belonged to the Epping MG Owners club and that they where meeting that night and why don't I come. Well I got the RV8 out gave it a wash and went. A nicer bunch of guys and girls I have never met and was welcomed with open arms.

The next run was to a castle in Kent and managed to persuade my wife to come, and she enjoyed it and now comes on every meet we go to and she has made new friends interested in cross stitch and crochet and other things women do. Well the point is give it a try join a local club and enjoy your picnics in the sun.

All new MG are welcome and I quite often take my ZTT others have got Mg6 and MG3 and ZS and ZR and F and TF.

Last edited by buckyhill; 14th March 2016 at 19:58..
buckyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:49   #4
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyhill View Post
I have had MG cars for over forty years and went to many MG shows and meets on my own or with one of my sons, enjoyed the day but never spoke to anybody.

About five years ago I was working at a site when the subject of MG ownership come up and a guy fitting a electric door said he had a MGB and belonged to the Epping MG Owners club and that they where meeting that night and why don't I come. Well I got the RV8 out gave it a wash and went. A nicer bunch of guys and girls I have never met and was welcomed with open arms.

The next run was to a castle in Kent and managed to persuade my wife to come, and she enjoyed it and now comes on every meet we go to and she has made new friends interested in cross stitch and crochet and other things women do. Well the point is give it a try join a local club and enjoy your picnics in the sun.

All new MG are welcome and I quite often take my ZTT others have got Mg6 and MG3 and ZS and ZR and F and TF.
An MG RV8, very nice, I have only ever seen one in the metal so to speak.

I know the MG Owners Club meets up near Exeter in some pub in a village, I haven't been along to any meetings yet.

I didn't realise they welcome all types of MG's though.

I would like an older MG but it has to be an automatic as I cannot operate a clutch with my left foot anymore and I know I can't get into an MGB.

Could do when I was younger but not these days!
Old 15th March 2016, 13:15   #5
buckyhill
Loves to post

mg ztt and mg rv8 and mgtf

You could go for a automatic tf (step speed). Prices are very good, the enjoyment you get out of open top motoring for the price. I have owned the RV8 for 17 years now and enjoyed every day of it. Almost all of the owners in our club also own a TF as well.
buckyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2016, 10:53   #6
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyhill View Post
You could go for a automatic tf (step speed). Prices are very good, the enjoyment you get out of open top motoring for the price. I have owned the RV8 for 17 years now and enjoyed every day of it. Almost all of the owners in our club also own a TF as well.
I've never thought about a TF, it's worth looking into, but would I get into one?
I'm not small 6' 5" and 28 stone.

What is the difference between an MGF and an MG TF?

As I keep seeing this.
Old 16th March 2016, 13:57   #7
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Nice story. Great to get out and about with clubs. Whether it's cars or anything else you're interested in and great way to meet people and make friends.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote