Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2017, 07:04   #21
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool What a Grand day out..............

....................at Eden Camp.

I was up before the crows could wee, ((cleaned version of the proper saying)),
And made my first cuppa of the day. Ian joined me in the lounge and we went over the details of the events. Then it was time, 08.40, to roll to the Camp.

Once there the chap in charge said that his marshals would guide the cars to the allocated car park so there was no need to put any signs up. So we trundled around to the car park. I counted out the spaces and we had 95, but we had to allow for car doors being opened wide enough thus cutting the spaces don. Obviously this did not apply to the Monograms down the middle.

Actros pulled in and parked up next to Ian, Next to arrive was Reebs and family. The first job of the day was to get the gazebo up. Simondi pulled in and helped with the construction. It was a wee bit gale force like but with the gazebo firmly secured, or so we thought, to the fence and Simon's car. The water filled containers holding the front in place. Brian went and put up the club banner.
Cars were trying to get in before the opening time and Ian went off to try and resolve the issue.

But 10am rolled round and in they came. I volunteered to herd the cars in with Brian and Ian parking them up. More and more were coming in plus I was now having to tell the general public that they could not park in our spot. Most were polite but one or two made remarks best left. Then Lord Rover appeared and had a go at running me over, perhaps he could not see me with my BRIGHT YELLOW jacket on. Non MG-Rovers but club members were being parked away to one side. Personally I would have let the P4 park with the saloons.

My saviour of the morning was Juliette, Pauls wife, who brought me a well wanted cup of tea. Soon the parking area was full and I could take a break. Going back to Banana took some time with me stopping to say hello to the people I have become friends with over the years, speaking to those whom I have never met before, and naturally enough people were asking about the Northern delight, the Horse's Willy.

Well the report of the day is over on the Eden Camp thread so I'll not bore you with the details. But near the end of the day I went to speak to Paul, but he was dealing with a subscription renewal, when the wind took hold of the gazebo lifting it clean off the ground. The rope that had been tied to Simons car held but the sides and roof were lifting and tearing. I grabbed the roof rail and held on for dear life, Paul grabbed his camera and took a picture of me holding on for dear life. Had the gazebo taken off then I could have lived up to my forum name.
Ronnie, Jim, Simon and Paul all came to the aid of the Flying Gazebo.

Well it dismantled itself, the sides and roof were ripping and the frame had snapped in several places. But no-one was hurt. The remains were put into the boot of Paul's car. Winding down and saying goodbye to friends and new friends.
Soon it was time to go back with two extra cars joining us for tea. Jan's sister and her fella plus SonicZS were coming back for tea. Ian stopped off to thank the organisers so I led the convoy back.

Tea and coffee made, Jan's sister said that Ian and Jan were downstairs trying to get in. They had phoned me, I put my hand into my pocket for my phone and not there. PANIC set in, where is my phone. I searched my jacket pockets, searched Banana, still no phone. Ian then made a call to my phone and very faintly I could here a noise. Phone was in my trousers that I had put in my case from yesterday. Phew! Phone found.

Soon it was time for our guests to depart. Thus leaving us to mull over the day. Then hot food and a beer to chill out.

Homeward bound today.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 07:09   #22
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Once again thanks for a great update Bob .

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 13:54   #23
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Rhubarb loses Custard.....................

...................................in Malton.

We was all early risers this morning. Jan & Jon wanted an early start to get back to Cumbria. So with everything packed Ian and I helped to carry the 14 cases down the North face of the Eiger. Once we had descended at the base camp we helped load "Silver Vixen". We said our goodbye's and watched them go before Ian and I climbed back towards the summit.

Jan had found the vacuum and was giving the flat the once over, Ian sorted out the rubbish and cleared up in the kitchen. I took two bags of rubbish down and put in the bins, then I went and moved Banana over to where the "Vixen" had been parked. Only to make it easier to load up. Then back up to the flat. I then brought some of my stuff down plus the last of the rubbish. Back up to get my case.

Then Ian brought Redfive over and the loading process started again, the owner of the flat came out and whilst Ian chatted I went back up to bring the last of there stuff down with Jan carrying the last bit down. I did have to go back up again as Jan had left her nibbles in the kitchen. Keys were now put back in the key safe.
The plan was for Ian to follow me to the petrol station then onto the A1 as far as the M18 turn off and they would carry on across country and home to Dorset. Whilst I stayed on the A1. Well that was the plan.

But Ian led off and I followed but at the end of the road Ian went left, I flashed twice, but Ian carried on towards the town. I thought that maybe they had decided to get some shopping before going home. So with Rhubarb going left, Custard turned right towards York and the A64. I never saw them again but did get a text message a bit later. Seems Ian had withdrawal symptoms and almost returned to Eden Camp before remembering he was supposed to be going home. Apparently it's a 'age' thing. Something for me to look too then.

So we was on our own. We pulled into the service station on the A64 and replenished Banana's tank. Then back onto the road till turning off onto the A1 and homeward bound. I had considered having a trip down memory lane but felt that some memories need to be locked away for now. Always another day, I can always come back.
The weather was "March winds with April showers bring forth May flowers" all the way home. I stopped the services at Grantham for a wee. Plus a bite to eat and a drink.
Back on the road and Banana just cruised home. Soon past Peterborough, and past Truckfest. Onto the A14 and in turn onto the M11. Got home at 2pm. And it was chucking it down.

Banana ran her usual sweet self. Only covered 510 miles on this trip at a steady 69.9mph on the Big roads. In turn she gave me 40.5mpg. Happy with that.

And on the way home we saw;
Moonstone 75 at the services on the A64.
Mellow Yellow MG 3 on the opposite side on the A64.
Copperleaf Tourer Northbound on the A1.
White MG 6 passed me on the A1.
Silver 75 saloon Northbound on the A1.
Another MG 3 passed me on the A1. Grey with Orange stripes.
MG ZR in Rio Red passed me on the M11.
And a stunning Austin Healey MK3 in light Blue over Cream passed us on the A1. They had the top down, and oh! What a beautiful sound. Was on a 1966 plate.

Well till the next tour I bid you all goodbye. Thanks for reading

onen hag oll
Old 1st May 2017, 19:46   #24
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

I'll get some photo's posted on here plus on the Eden Camp thread over the next few days.

onen hag oll
Old 1st May 2017, 21:13   #25
Silvervixen
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

Default Great weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
.....................................that I would end the day eating a horse's willy.

Out of bed and sitting at the table fairly early Saturday morning, and Jan & Ian were the first to join me. We waited for John and Jan to join us over morning tea. In the end Jan had to go and knock on there door as time was rolling on. It was now 9am and we had to be at Eden camp at 11am.
And out they come.

Showers complete, good old Ian having to keep an eye on the boiler. Breakfast over and everything washed up it was time to descend the North face of the Eiger. Once all down and cars loaded it was time to convoy to Eden camp. So we set off with Banana leading, then Redfive and followed by Silver Vixen. Down through the town and off up the road. We lost Silver Vixen as they had got caught at the lights, but as it not far to Eden, and well signposted, we carried on. Soon at the camp. Well that was 3 of us there.

Actros had phoned to say he was held up at the Humber bridge, soon 2 more turned up. 1 car had dropped out, he had phoned me to let me know, so that left 8 cars outstanding. We stood around chatting and taking photo's, I put Banana's new show plate on and managed to get a few photo's before it fell off. A ZTT rolled into sight with the sun hiding behind the clouds in fear it would get out shone by the world champion of Nevving. Yes Clyde and Kirsty had arrived. Actros was now soon to join us. So the count was up to 7.

We finally rolled out with Redfive leading, Ian had offered to lead seeing as his car was at the front. And off we went at a steady pace, never over 50 mph. Soon through Pickering and across the picturesque moors. Through the the sleepy hamlets the convoy rolled on. The sun had decided it was safe to emerge from behind the clouds. Going to be a lovely day. Ian led us to the car park at Whitby Abbey, where we spotted Three more. 2 Rover Tourer's and a ZTT. No sign of anyone near the cars. We parked up in a line and paid our parking dues. Then the ZTT we had seen parked came and joined us, it was Freebryd.

Younger Jan, John's wife, took the food order and Ian phoned it through. 9 haddock n chips, 1 chip buttie and 1 portion of chips. Then Ian and Jan went off to get the grub. By now most people were sitting in there cars as the North wind was blowing cold air our way. Even the sun had pulled the clouds too and was hiding. (There is a report on the fish n chip thread on t'other page about the food).
Then another 75 rolled in, a forum member who was totally unaware of the fish n chip run but was attending the next day. And one of the other Tourer's we had seen earlier came along, again unaware of the chip run but joining the show on Sunday.

Time to roll home. Various cars were going to different hotels so the the line up split in different directions. Silver Vixen was staying to take photo's so that Rhubarb and Custard to find there way back via the car wash in Malton. Again we travelled back at no more than 60 across the beautiful moors. We was soon in the car wash, with Ian telling the chaps that I was his Dad and to take special care of the car. Still it got Banana special treatment. Soon parked up the apartment and with a cup of tea I was soon downloading my photo's. Silver Vixen soon joined us.

Food was being heated up with the rest of Pizza, wedgies and garlic bread. And I was soon to consume a Northern delicacy of the horse's willy aka Cumberland Sausage. Very tasty, don't know who ate the tip.
Plans were now being laid for tomorrow. Ian asked me if I would assist him in the morning at the camp putting out the signs out, parking up the Monograms.

Out of bed now and getting ready to rock n roll to the camp. So if coming I'll see you there, don't forget to come and say hello.
Hiya Bob,
What a great weekend with you, Ian and Jan.........oh and Ack of course. Still giggling about the Cumberland Sausage .......hope you got home safe..... we are back safe, after a lovely roast chicken dinner made by our Lisa.

Take care and thanks for helping to make the weekend memorable

Jan
xxxx
Old 1st May 2017, 21:28   #26
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Thanks Bob for the ride. When are you going to write the book?I really enjoy these 'ramblings'. It brings back memories of yesteryear for me. It seems I am too busy at the mo to get any sort of travel going except that we are off to Germany later on. Going to bring some happy juice back as my cellar is getting a bit low. Keep up the good work and happy travelling.
Old 2nd May 2017, 05:54   #27
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Thanks Bob for the ride. When are you going to write the book?I really enjoy these 'ramblings'. It brings back memories of yesteryear for me. It seems I am too busy at the mo to get any sort of travel going except that we are off to Germany later on. Going to bring some happy juice back as my cellar is getting a bit low. Keep up the good work and happy travelling.
The book is progressing slowly but with other things going on it's on hold for now. I will however try and get some of it posted up on the social page providing the mods agree.
Don't forget to do a write up on your trip. Gives people ideas on places to visit.

I shall continue travelling for as long as I can, mainly with Banana. I'm Still after one of Trikey's "to the moon" stickers. Ole Yella is now on 185,100. So we still have 40,000 to go.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 2nd May 2017 at 05:55.. Reason: Tea? Oh! Go on then............
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:00   #28
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvervixen View Post
Hiya Bob,
What a great weekend with you, Ian and Jan.........oh and Ack of course. Still giggling about the Cumberland Sausage .......hope you got home safe..... we are back safe, after a lovely roast chicken dinner made by our Lisa.

Take care and thanks for helping to make the weekend memorable

Jan
xxxx
And thank you both for a very enjoyable weekend. Lots of laughs with lovely food but best of all, with Great friends.

I'm off to Tesco's later. Going to ask if they have any horse's willy? I know they used to sell horse meat. I've never been banned from Tesco's so it will be another 'first' for me.

onen hag oll
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:15   #29
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Great weekend for you all.
Thank`s Bob.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:44   #30
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I am sure you will get the sticker if anyone will. Germany, we go to see my son and wife, along with the three grandchildren. I think I might need a trailer for all the stuff they ask us to take that they like from Blighty. Have to take my son some Newcastle brun otherwise we would be staying in a hotel. I was over there just before Christmas delivering his Mercedes SLK 320 that he had me go and have a look at down south. Could not find one near Brum for the money. Nice motor but those wide tyres on the Belgian m/ way did my ears in. Still got tinnitus in my left ear. Hoping to go to Reil on the Mosel for some of our special wine. When we had been married for 25 years, 56 years this year, phew,my daughter-in-laws God parent, who owns some vineyards, planted some vines for us in one of them, so will bring some wine from those vines back, along with some more. It's around 95 miles from where we are, so all in all, we will probably do about 1300/1500 miles all told. It's nice to go there because we usually stop overnight, and they have an old black oak timbered property right by the side of the river Mosel. At night, Bernd brings around ten bottles of his best up from the cellars and we drink, sorry, taste the wine, but no spitting out allowed, looking out through the kitchen window at the boats going past all night with there lights on. Nice if you are a romantic person. We usually roll into bed around 3.00 am well oiled. The river is very wide there, and although the house is up about 15 feet higher than the river, in summer, if during winter they have a lot of rain, I have pictures of the river half way up the front door. They get out over the persons property at the rear of them when this happens. I know you enjoy some of the warm stuff, like me, but if you want me to save a bottle for you when I see you at one of the meets, I will, just let me know..