Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2012, 18:39   #21
onlyslightlymad
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
Well mine came on again today going over a speedbump, can't be a co-incidence??? And yes, my tester arrived but haven't had the chance to test it yet will hopefully have a play tonight.
So did mine!

I just bought a code reader and software for my laptop, so I will have a play next week.
onlyslightlymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 19:21   #22
trojan
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon CDT auto, Rover 600 Auto, and 52 Rover 75 Cdti Auto Tourer now I've found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Hi Mick,

Rave says:
if the Accelerator Pedal Position fails,the ECM increase the idle speed to 1.250 rev/min and the engine speed will not increase when the accelerator is depressed..

hoping it helps a bit .

Looks like an electrical prob though;check HP sensor contacts and others.

Mike
Hi Mike and all,

Your quote as above is only correct if there is a complete failure of pedal sensor correct signal . I have suffered this problem but ,,,,,, if it is an intermittent flicker of engine light the fault seems to reset immediately and car drives normally.

May be one of the T4 Guru's can verify this ????

All I know is that immediately prior to my accelerator problem this car was diagnostically checked with a Delphi DS 150E tester, ( I live in the land of green grass and no T4 Diagnostic equipment ), and no pedal fault appeared even though it was experiencing acceleration and kick down problems.

Accelerator pedal now replaced with new one and boy what a difference !!!! She is like a car reborn, fantastic acceleration, great response on kick down, in fact she is going so well she doesn't need re chipping or the synergy modification. Every bit as good as my Rover 600 GSI Auto in sports mode and better than my Rover 618 Auto !!! ( by the way I LOVE ROVERS ).

Now with peace of mind I can finally hand over this beautiful, fully serviced vehicle to 'she who must be obeyed'.

Regards Ray

Hopefully that solves 'my' engine light problem, only time will tell.

Ray

ps. Didn't believe Jules when he said these cars went so well, so I stand corrected.

Favorite mode of transport - free fuel- no ecu- fly by rope not wire !!!!!
Red diesel auxilary single cylinder engine - 20 ltrs per year !!!!
Must fit a fbh for the winter !
trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 19:42   #23
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Ray,

You are perfectly right;unfortunately it's always difficult tracking a intermittent
fault ;even ,not sure a T4 could help ?
an oscilloscope could be a better tool.

BUT ALL modern cars encounter these issues....

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 22:23   #24
trojan
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon CDT auto, Rover 600 Auto, and 52 Rover 75 Cdti Auto Tourer now I've found one.

Quote:
Hi Ray,

You are perfectly right;unfortunately it's always difficult tracking a intermittent
fault ;even ,not sure a T4 could help ?
an oscilloscope could be a better tool.

BUT ALL modern cars encounter these issues....

Mike
Hi Mike,

Totally agree with you re - above, I really don't think any type of diagnostic equipment would ascertain my particular problem unless it was set up dynamically and only referring to accelerator potentiometer.

I only came onto this thread to state my unique experience with the engine warning light and to give an awareness of the very poor design and fragility of the accelerator potentiometer . May be there is a thread about this in detail but I couldn't find one .

Any incidence of engine warning light should be taken seriously as not only could it be life threatening it could cause catastrophic failure of engine or auto box, that is why I would encourage a diagnostic test if possible as most other sensor faults would probably be kept in historic memory.

Certainly learned an awful lot about R 75's in my 2 week ownership and all thanks to you guys and the club forums.

On another note, are you the guy I should be talking to about the purchase of an fbh for my yacht ????.

Regards Ray

PS. Loved the old cars, where the only piece of electric equipment you needed was a 12v bulb and 2 pieces of wire !!!!! Should have kept my MG TF replica.

Old 11th May 2012, 06:51   #25
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan View Post
Hi Mike,

Totally agree with you re - above, I really don't think any type of diagnostic equipment would ascertain my particular problem unless it was set up dynamically and only referring to accelerator potentiometer.

I only came onto this thread to state my unique experience with the engine warning light and to give an awareness of the very poor design and fragility of the accelerator potentiometer . May be there is a thread about this in detail but I couldn't find one .

Any incidence of engine warning light should be taken seriously as not only could it be life threatening it could cause catastrophic failure of engine or auto box, that is why I would encourage a diagnostic test if possible as most other sensor faults would probably be kept in historic memory.

Certainly learned an awful lot about R 75's in my 2 week ownership and all thanks to you guys and the club forums.

On another note, are you the guy I should be talking to about the purchase of an fbh for my yacht ????.

Regards Ray

PS. Loved the old cars, where the only piece of electric equipment you needed was a 12v bulb and 2 pieces of wire !!!!! Should have kept my MG TF replica.
Yes Ray,

You can't see threads about potentiometers ,the failure are very rare (happily)

Effectively,i became the FBH man only because i found out why lot of them were faulty.(i worked in electronics in another life)

PS .the good old electric tool made of bulb and length of wires is still useful .

Cheers

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 09:07   #26
trojan
Regular poster

Default engine management light

Quote:
Yes Ray,

You can't see threads about potentiometers ,the failure are very rare (happily)

Effectively,i became the FBH man only because i found out why lot of them were faulty.(i worked in electronics in another life)

PS .the good old electric tool made of bulb and length of wires is still useful .

Cheers

Mike
Thanks for that Mike,

Have contacted you by em.

Hope you guys and girls get your engine light problems sorted. If you do, don't keep it to yourselves,would be very interested if any of those ebay units picked up any faults .

Will probably open a new thread on the accelerator, as I think it is an underestimated problem.

Have a nice day and safe driving

Ray

Old 12th May 2012, 13:42   #27
trojan
Regular poster

Default engine warning light

Hi All,
Just to update - no sign of the engine warning light so far thank goodness .

But........ the new accelerator pedal doesn't seem to be as good as it was when first fitted !!! . Seems to be a lot of travel with no response and then very good acceleration - a little disconcerting to say the least .

Off to the mainland for a Royal Navy reunion in a couple of hours so will have to look at it again when I get home next week.

Ray

Old 12th May 2012, 14:11   #28
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Update on mine. Car wouldn't start this morning, dead battery. Waiting on a new one, hopefully that'll cure the problem and hopefully the 2 things were related! I used the OBD scanner and it showed....................no codes