Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th June 2023, 21:15   #1
tayanc

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Another electrical issue regarding front left indicator and ABS.

Greetings from Istanbul, Turkey. Thanks for reading yet another electrical issue from me and my riddled 75, for which you have been very helpful through two years of my ownership.

Three months ago, my windshield wipers stopped working; and last month my electrician (a former Rover technician in Istanbul that still works on 75s and pretty much not likes working on 75s, just like any other Rover repair serviceperson in Turkey; but he thankfully has been helpful) has found an interim solution involving two modes only: wipers continuously work, or they abruptly stop. I don't think that this is involved in the failure I have, though. Besides, while he was at it, he took the passenger side fusebox that I imported from Poland as my fusebox had corroded under an unknown former owner, who chose to simply reroute the headlights through someplace else, resulting in very dim headlights and a constant left-hand dipped and main beam failure. My electrician thankfully installed the imported fusebox and the problems went away. Also, I asked him to check the plenum drains, for I was absolutely not in the mood for having another LSM trashed (this is my third in 2 years). As he had installed the last LSM, he said he would duly check the drains even if not asked; as it is a well-known issue for any 75. Besides, little to no precipitation happened afterwards. He also said that my car's electrical condition is very poor (which I have learned soon after buying it) and caution should be given while using any kind of exterior lighting.

Now for the problem: Last month, shortly after the aforementioned repairs and checks; my left front turn indicator suddenly stopped working. Once, shutting down the headlights and turning it on again brought it back, but after that the indicators stopped working after a short while. The car is aware of the failure as it gives quick flashing and an "indicator fail" on the ipk; curiously both for the rear and front left indicators. (The rear indicator has actually worked on every occasion that said failure has been thrown) Last week, the indicator started working again with the car noting no failure, but an ABS error annunciated both on the message center as well as the ABS light came up; but the odometer and speed readings worked, as well as abrupt constant braking at a reasonably high speed did not compromise the car's handling.

As my electrician has been very busy due to upcoming Eid (a traditionally very busy season for car repair shops here), he could not have a look. I moved on to have a TOAF session on my Android device and saw the exact same errors on my ABS: "4B CAN NMOT error", "2C Unknown Error", and "00 Unknown Error". A "Clear errors" order failed. My LSM had noted also the same errors as before, regarding indicators and plate light.

Today, the ABS error went away on its own and a 300 km long motorway ride with very rude and aggressive motorists trying out risky overtakes ended up in me needing the ABS again. It worked. But the indicator error came back, then went away, then came back again, then went away. As of two hours ago, both the ABS errors and the indicator failure have gone away. But as far as I know, errors that resolve on their own should be very concerning as they generally come back with even greater failures. I don't think any water has hit the LSM recently, and all of the last rainfall most should have gone away while the car was sitting parked, as the last rain was more than ten days ago with constantly sunny weather afterwards, and the plenum has been checked recently.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have other less concerning problems, and I would gratefully share my car's issues with anyone approaching me from PMs.

Thanks a lot,
Tayanç.

PS: If it will be relevant, the car is a 2.0 petrol saloon, year 2000; and LHD.
tayanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2023, 10:06   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Quick flashing indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayanc View Post
The car is aware of the failure as it gives quick flashing and an "indicator fail" on the ipk; curiously both for the rear and front left indicators.
Hello Tayanç,

Quick flashing is very often the result of a poor earth so I'd recommend checking those at both front and rear on the left-hand side.

Simon