Notices

Old 11th February 2020, 12:07   #21
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
.......................Fred, you take the retirement package. You are still young enough to pursue a new ‘trade’ if only on a part time basis. Have a holiday then home to clear out the loft and garage. If you need any help I’ll pop along and assist.
Many thanks Bob, if I ever get started, I'll let you know. A word of warning, I don't throw things out, they all "may come in handy".
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 04:41   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Many thanks Bob, if I ever get started, I'll let you know. A word of warning, I don't throw things out, they all "may come in handy".
Good morning Fred, a mutual friend has many knick-knacks which turns his garage into an Aladdin’s man cave, enough for 3 wishes

Given you have a retirement package, why not take that leap whilst your ahead and retire on your terms. You could get another job part time, so you do not dip into your lump sum.

When I left the NHS with a 40 year pension, I was able to work freelance and did some work for the Foreign Office, Ministry of Justice, travel insurance and deportations. Positive thoughts
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 12:26   #23
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Given you have a retirement package, why not take that leap whilst your ahead and retire on your terms. You could get another job part time, so you do not dip into your lump sum.

When I left the NHS with a 40 year pension, I was able to work freelance and did some work for the Foreign Office, Ministry of Justice, travel insurance and deportations. Positive thoughts
Many thanks for that, though I had thought of volunteering at the nearby old folks home, in the hope that they could give me a meal every day. Very interesting suggestions.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:00   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
That’s a definite no from me.
I understood your question. No problems.---

I've also had folk question me as though they are trying to read more into my innocent posts----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2020, 07:25   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post

I've also had folk question me as though they are trying to read more into my innocent posts----
Thank you John, I like the way you have worded that.

Fred described how one of the trainees is illiterate. My question about autism is based on 2 members of the family who struggle with literacy. One is aged 22, he is unable to speak or write because he has low functioning autism. He will never be able to work because of his disability and behaviour. The other is not autistic but he was born prematurely and was slow from an early age. He was bullied in primary school by a teacher which did not help his development. As a result, he has difficulty with writing. He is aged 18 and will be looking for a place in the UK at an Agricultural College, he is currently studying for his exams but is struggling.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:00   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Many thanks for that, though I had thought of volunteering at the nearby old folks home, in the hope that they could give me a meal every day. Very interesting suggestions.
Here is another suggestion Fred. In 1984, I joined St John Ambulance as a volunteer and I remember how some of my colleagues gave their free time working as a volunteer for London Ambulance NHS. I received training, travelling expenses and a uniform to wear. It’s something else to consider and if you get time have a look at the link for London Ambulance Volunteering:
https://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/w...ering-with-us/
Old 14th February 2020, 14:12   #27
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Here is another suggestion Fred. In 1984, I joined St John Ambulance as a volunteer and I remember how some of my colleagues gave their free time working as a volunteer for London Ambulance NHS. I received training, travelling expenses and a uniform to wear. It’s something else to consider and if you get time have a look at the link for London Ambulance Volunteering:
https://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/w...ering-with-us/
Many thanks for that Phil, I did speak to someone yesterday about volunteering for meals on wheels, but again, at the moment, I cannot give my time on a regular basis.
Old 15th February 2020, 06:18   #28
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Many thanks for that Phil, I did speak to someone yesterday about volunteering for meals on wheels, but again, at the moment, I cannot give my time on a regular basis.
No problem Fred, you have the option of a plan should you decide to retire. When I came out to Kenya, I worked as a volunteer for a mental health charity working out of a state clinic dealing with Epilepsy and mental illness in adults and children. With my experience in the NHS, I would read the doctors prescriptions and deal out the medication. After clinic finished at 3pm, I would drive a doctor and some nurses into the bush, using my 4x4 to see patients, young and old who were not able to get to the clinic because they were too sick or they had no money to pay for the transportation, basically the sick in poverty. I did not earn any money or claim expenses as there was enough reward in helping.

When the time comes, I am sure you will be able to find a niche which suits you.
Old 15th February 2020, 14:29   #29
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Tying to read more into an innocent post? What has autism got to do with the original post?

Quote:
Thank you John, I like the way you have worded that.

Fred described how one of the trainees is illiterate. My question about autism is based on 2 members of the family who struggle with literacy. One is aged 22, he is unable to speak or write because he has low functioning autism. He will never be able to work because of his disability and behaviour. The other is not autistic but he was born prematurely and was slow from an early age. He was bullied in primary school by a teacher which did not help his development. As a result, he has difficulty with writing. He is aged 18 and will be looking for a place in the UK at an Agricultural College, he is currently studying for his exams but is struggling.
There are two members of my family that are also on the autistic spectrum. One passed all their GCSE’s and A levels and is now at university. They are incredibly intelligent and most certainly not ‘illiterate’ The other is a chemist in the nuclear industry. Every person is different and I objected to the fact that autism was being incorrectly stereotyped in my opinion

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 15th February 2020 at 14:41.. Reason: Spelling
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 06:05   #30
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Tying to read more into an innocent post? What has autism got to do with the original post?

There are two members of my family that are also on the autistic spectrum. One passed all their GCSE’s and A levels and is now at university. They are incredibly intelligent and most certainly not ‘illiterate’ The other is a chemist in the nuclear industry. Every person is different and I objected to the fact that autism was being incorrectly stereotyped in my opinion
You are way off track about my posts stereotyping autism. You fail to identify high functioning and low functioning autism, although you mention how everyone is different.