Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th November 2019, 18:44   #1
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts
Default New ZS EV

They seem to be very popular And apparently people are placing orders before even seeing them
https://youtu.be/xNh1Ofr4Aqs
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 18:56   #2
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

My wife wants a ZS, planning on getting 1 next year sometime. Now she's seen the EV and is thinking of getting that. Hoping to have a test drive next week, so will report back if we do.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 21:47   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Test Drive

Had a test drive of the demo at Mackie Motors MG Brechin for an hour and I thought I would not like it.....alas it is quite a machine. Full of safety features and very quick off the mark. When you think you are doing 40 you are actually doing 50 and so on due to lack of engine noise. Watch your licence of course the driver features kick in and tell you.

Thumbs up from me but the range makes it a second car for now I think. Very impressive though.
Believe the MG HS in Hybrid form not far off. Mackie Motors had firm orders for 26 MG ZS EVs in first six weeks. Even they were surprised. MG outselling Dacia at their franchise now.

Very professional outfit too.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 17:30   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Phoned today, first date we can get a test drive (a mixture of them being fully booked, my shifts and my wife days off), is 17th December. Both booked in to have a go, though it's for her, I'm just intrigued.

The main thing for us, is that we both like a manual gearbox, so not sure either of us will like the go-cart style. However, it would save approx, £160 a month on diesel, more if I use it when I'm on nightshifts, her days off, and school holidays.

Dealer said there's a 5 month wait on these. I'll try and report back when we've been for the test drive.
Old 18th December 2019, 00:39   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

We went to the MG dealer today, I wasn't feeling great so thought it best not to get behind the wheel of a strange car, so it was only my wife that drove it. She really likes it, and will be placing an order as soon as we can. She said it was comfortable, smooth, quick, and everything in the interior was placed right.

I had a sit in it in the car park, and despite being in her seating position, so far too close to the wheel for me, I could see what she meant, everything is within easy reach of the driver. I like that it's still got proper analogue dials, and not just some computer display. The cabin is a pleasant place to sit, no a see of horrible 'soft' plastics, even the design of the air vents is quite stylish. I was surprised with how well built it seemed. Considering the price range, (admittedly the EV is more expensive, but still at the cheap end of the market) I was expecting it to rattle and all feel a bit loose, but even the doors closed with a nice gently. Only issue with the interior for me, was as is with many cars, the placement of the cupholders, in the centre console, but too far back. I know a lot of people don't rate the 75/ZT drivers cupholder, and yes you do bump you knee on it when changing gear sometimes, but they are perfectly placed for getting and putting back a drink without looking. The ZS EV you would have to look, and bend your arm at a weird angle.

All in all, we were impressed with the quality and the gadgets you get for £25,000. The interior stying reminded me of her parents Jag F-Pace, though I know it's all leather effect and not genuine leather like the Jag, but it is has the price.

Only negative thing she said about it was that in reverse, it's a bit sensitive on the accelerator, so need to go careful.

On the way home in her rattly Qashqai she kept complaining how noisy it was compared to the smooth and silent ZS.

Hopefully putting in an order early part of next year.
Old 18th December 2019, 16:11   #6
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

I thought the price of the ZS EV had been reduced permanently to around £22k? That started out as an introductory offer, but I saw a press release going back maybe 6 weeks or more to the effect that it was no longer limited to the first 800 buyers. Might be worth doing a bit of digging to check that.

The ZS certainly looks like one of the better value EVs on the market - not too small, and still under £25k. Range of at least 150 miles at higher speeds, rising to about 235 if most of your driving is around town. There's a larger-battery variant about to be released in Asia which should make its way over here soon enough - if I remember correctly, 70kWh in comparison to the current version's 44kWh. That would give it a minimum range between charges of around 240 miles on a faster run, closer to 370 for mainly urban driving.

There were only two things I saw about it which would make me think twice if I was in the market for one. Firstly, the charge port cover seems to be quite awkward to access - you have to hunker down at the front of the car to see where you're putting the plug. Secondly, I would need to be sure it was comfortable over longer distances - apparently the steering wheel only adjusts for rake, not reach, and I think there is no adjustable lumber support either. Of course, neither is a definite deal breaker as it's possible that it might all be perfectly acceptable as is, but I do prefer to be able to customise the seating position to maximise my own comfort.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019, 23:51   #7
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I thought the price of the ZS EV had been reduced permanently to around £22k? That started out as an introductory offer, but I saw a press release going back maybe 6 weeks or more to the effect that it was no longer limited to the first 800 buyers. Might be worth doing a bit of digging to check that.

The ZS certainly looks like one of the better value EVs on the market - not too small, and still under £25k. Range of at least 150 miles at higher speeds, rising to about 235 if most of your driving is around town. There's a larger-battery variant about to be released in Asia which should make its way over here soon enough - if I remember correctly, 70kWh in comparison to the current version's 44kWh. That would give it a minimum range between charges of around 240 miles on a faster run, closer to 370 for mainly urban driving.

There were only two things I saw about it which would make me think twice if I was in the market for one. Firstly, the charge port cover seems to be quite awkward to access - you have to hunker down at the front of the car to see where you're putting the plug. Secondly, I would need to be sure it was comfortable over longer distances - apparently the steering wheel only adjusts for rake, not reach, and I think there is no adjustable lumber support either. Of course, neither is a definite deal breaker as it's possible that it might all be perfectly acceptable as is, but I do prefer to be able to customise the seating position to maximise my own comfort.
I can't remember exactly what he said but there's 2 offers on it, 1 is a grant from the government, and the other is MG, split £3,500 and £2,500, can't remember which is which though. He said the MG part is confirmed as still on offer for the 1st quarter of next year, as they're just throwing money into trying to get market share at the moment. What happens in the 2nd quarter is uncertain though.

I've not tried the charging socket from a practicality point of view, but I liked it hidden away. My wife is only little so shouldn't be too much of a problem for her. And I didn't check the steering wheel, or the seat adjustment, but only 50 miles each way to work I shouldn't imagine the lumbar adjustment would be too important.
Old 19th December 2019, 13:39   #8
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

The government grant applies to all EVs, for the time being at least. The MG discount is on top of that alright, but it looks like I was mistaken and it is in fact still a limited offer - see here. Still means that the price for the higher spec version shouldn't exceed £23495, rather than £25k. If however the dealer says that the September discount for their next 1000 customers has already been used up since then, perhaps you could still use it as haggling point.

In terms of the charging socket, it's not just the height of it but the fact that the cover opens out and up, meaning that unless you're under a metre in height you will still have to crouch at the front of the car each time you want to fit the charger. Seems it's also not easy to see what you're doing if it's dark.

This owner review from earlier in the month is probably worth watching - it's a pretty honest one from a couple with a young child who have had their ZS EV for two months, covering 3000 miles in that time. Looks like range at full tilt on the motorway might be closer to 140 miles than 150. It's mostly very positive, but they also mention things they'd rather were different - towards the end, that includes what they've done to partly address the poor design of the charge port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQg...=emb_rel_pause
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 14:08   #9
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Read a recent online road test on the ZS EV this week and it was given a fair review but criticised for being about 5 years behind everybody else's designs when compared to new products. They criticised build quality over competition and battery life, saying 168 mile life generally expected by the manufacturers claims was reduced to 110 miles in their testing in winter conditions so considerably limiting its use. The did conclude however that it was reasonable value for money.

At the moment I'm happy to carry on with my Volvo daily driver but looking to the future electric looks on the cards. An electric vehicle would be totally acceptable for my daily usage but what about when I go to see my kids in the west country. Getting there could be a real pain, and recently down there I only found one charging point in use in a supermarket. A friend has a mate with a Nissan Leaf who lives about 60 miles away. He visited a couple of weeks ago and couldn't make the round trip without having to stop for 40 mins on the way back to recharge. That cars spec says it should have done it without a charge but it couldn't. Winter temps reducing mileage? who knows. Its this real world actual figures that puts me off. Maybe a PHEV would be the answer for me.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 14:16   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Seems to have an NCAP 5 Stars now as well ??
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote