Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Members Contributions
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th February 2013, 19:34   #1
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts
Default Bullet Powerfold Worm Gears -Order them here at last !

Well after a long and arduous task which has taken me to lots of different companies in lots of different places and over a period of years, I can finally announce success and that I am almost there thanks to excellent service received from a company in Turkey.

The Bullet powerfold mirror motors have 3 gears in them and the company have agreed to make a set of all 3 for around £3 per set which will probably be subject to import tax at 20% plus postage, but a lot cheaper than I could ever have hoped for.

Here is a motor showing the gears, the one shown is the one that wears the most but the other 2 are also visible and will be included in the set

They had a motor sent over by me, their engineers have already looked at what is needed and confirmed that they can make them, and they will be making the prototypes next week which will be fully tested before I place any order.( they already make gears for other car manufacturers )

The only drawback, if there is one, is that I need to order 1000 sets in order to make it worth their while making them. That may sound like a lot but as the sets are so cheap for say £10 -£15 you would have 3/4 sets and help to boost the numbers.

If all those interested with bullet powerfold mirrors all had 4 sets each we would only need 250 members to commit to purchase, and if you are looking to fit powerfolds but dont have them at the moment it would be wise to purchase some gears as spares to preserve the life of your mirrors.

It is fair to say that as the bullet powerfold mirrors become rarer, it will not be easy to replace like for like, and even when you can they will most probably be expensive, so this is a way to keep your mirrors going for a long time and at very little cost by replacing the gears which are the main cause of failure.

If you only want to order 1/2 sets thats fine too, please dont let it put you off ordering if you dont want 4 sets, but it would mean we need to get up to 500 members.

It is unlikely that we would have the demand for another 1000 sets after this initial run as most of us will have spares from this run, so get them whilst you can and consider ordering more than you might need at this low price, both to keep for future spares and to support the project.

I will be doing a comprehensive " How To " with pictures to help members change the gears themselves, which is not difficult if you know one end of a spanner from a screwdriver.

Please note that these gears are only suitable for the earlier bullet type mirrors, and not the later skullcap types as fitted on the later cars.

This is a bullet type

And this is a skullcap

It is sometimes difficult from pictures to tell the difference between the 2 types but the bullets extend further at the back of the mirror which is hopefully visible on the above pictures. ( a couple of the pictures were taken from this site and I hope the original owners wont mind )

For those of you interested there is a big difference between the skullcap mirror motor and the bullett mirror motor

The skullcap motor is a sealed unit and there are no visible screws just rivet heads and 2 channels to insert the electrical connectors. No doubt the unit could be split open to see what is going on inside but it would have to be sealed again and as this is a new motor I dont want to damage it. It appears that these are designed like most things these days and the whole motor would have to be sourced and replaced.

Here is the skullcap motor:

The bullett motor is below, and can be dismantled with a torx driver, making changing the gears a relatively easy fix

Please say how many sets you want by posting on the following link to the live thread
Here

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by Reebs; 22nd October 2014 at 21:45.. Reason: added link to live thread
Closed Thread