Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th April 2007, 14:31   #11
dustybin
Avid contributor

MG ZT

polish doesn´t remove the paint, our cars have lacker, a clear protective coating over the paint, you´re smothing out and removing any rubbish that has attached itself to it,,,then wax the car to protect the lacker...old cars only have the paint thats why they look dull.....
dustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 22:03   #12
andyjshaw
Avid contributor

None at the moment

I used Supagard on my Anthracite ZT today - it looks fantastic! Very simple to apply and buff up afterwards.
andyjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 22:27   #13
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

I am also a professional valeter & run Executive Valeting www.exv-mobile.co.uk I use a couple of polishes including Autoglym Super Resin Polish, this removes all the oxydisation from the paintwork leaving it cleansed.

I am also an approved applicator for the Autoglym Lifeshine & the Jewelultra Diamondbrite applications. Full details of these packages are on my website
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 22:42   #14
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora ZT-T View Post
I am also a professional valeter ...
Can I pick your brain sir?:lol:

My Black Pearl is only a year old - well it sat somewhere for another year before that but its only on the road a year.

Like all black cars it looks great when waxed and with the chrome bits shining.

Also like all black cars it shows up every little mark and scratch. The passenger side of the car in particular is quite marked from bushes etc. Some of the scratches appear to have gone through the black paint to the base coat but you can barely feel them with your finger nail.

What do you recommend? I'm wary about using some kind of cutting product as (a) the car is only a year old and (b) will the cutting product remove the lacquer to fix the scratch and then leave me with no lacquer on that part of the paintwork?

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 13:09   #15
andyjshaw
Avid contributor

None at the moment

I know i'm being cheeky but I would recommend not driving so close to the bushes!!!
andyjshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 13:12   #16
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

He could of course be parked in the Bushes to look at the Bird Wildlife.
There is some very narrow roads around to.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 13:32   #17
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjshaw View Post
I know i'm being cheeky but I would recommend not driving so close to the bushes!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
He could of course be parked in the Bushes to look at the Bird Wildlife.
There is some very narrow roads around to.
You are both quite right, of course

Unfortunately my driving close to bushes has more to do with the inconsiderate morons that we are forced to share the roads with Some drivers seem to have great difficulty in deciding which side of the road to drive on - so they choose a compromise and drive in the middle of the road.

The worst scratches happened when I encountered an articulated truck coming round a bend straddling the centre line. It was either the bushes or under his back wheels (all six of them). I chose the bushes and the scratches. Needless to say I wished him every bad luck in the world!

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 06:10   #18
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

I used some stuff called Harly wax last monday, was very pleased with the results
bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 12:59   #19
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkinsrover View Post
Hi guys, what polish do other members recommend? I have a 2000 (W) Rover 75 in Midnight Blue, with 104.000 miles on the clock and the paintwork looks tired! I have tried Auto Glym and am using Turtle Wax High Gloss car wax....in liquid form. Although, very clean etc, the car still lacks the 'twinkle' I'm looking for. Is there a polish you guys would recommend, that is reasonably priced? The car is kept outside and is washed about twice a week and leathered off. How often should I polish?
Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.
Dave
Ah, another Midnight Blue owner. A man of great taste!

On my example I've tried a lot of different brands over the years. I'm a bit of an Autoglym superfan as they have a good wide range and nearly everything they do is excellent at the job. Their interior cleaner is for me the best thing since sliced bread, it shifts shoe polish on the door trims like magic. However, I also use Zymöl on a regular basis and have a good collection of Meguiar stuff as well, mainly for the clay bar side of things.

The one point I would stress is that it is easy to end up with a patchy finish with different depths of shine, and Midnight Blue really shows it up too. A tip I saw on the back of a Zymöl bottle was to lightly spray the ca with clean water after the coat had been buffed off and then leather it again - this seems to spread the covering and give a more even depth. The other tip is to put another coat on and help build up the layer.

Several brands do tend to leave a bit of dust behind which is easy enough to remove either by a quick spray over with water or with an anti-static mop. Also, the streaky finish you sometimes see on a car from poor buffing - it's horrible! I use one of those home version of a buffing machine things and that removes any of that happening.

Last thing I would mention is to gloss the tyres and clean the insides of the windows. This alwyas makes a big visual difference to the rest of the car.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 21:04   #20
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
Can I pick your brain sir?:lol:

My Black Pearl is only a year old - well it sat somewhere for another year before that but its only on the road a year.

Like all black cars it looks great when waxed and with the chrome bits shining.

Also like all black cars it shows up every little mark and scratch. The passenger side of the car in particular is quite marked from bushes etc. Some of the scratches appear to have gone through the black paint to the base coat but you can barely feel them with your finger nail.

What do you recommend? I'm wary about using some kind of cutting product as (a) the car is only a year old and (b) will the cutting product remove the lacquer to fix the scratch and then leave me with no lacquer on that part of the paintwork?
As long as the scratch hasn't BROKEN the laquer then a mild cut will be OK.I would suggest using something like Autoglym paint renovator as it is a product available in the likes of Halfords & isn't too extreeme whereas a trade product may do damage in the wrong hands.
Use the paint renovator with a cotton cloth gently & then polish over the top.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote