Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2007, 11:41   #1
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

Default Another fan motor question

I am gearing myself up to replace the aircon fan. I currently have a three speed fan on an early 53 car.

I have bought a complete two speed assembly from roverbreakers. It comes with the fan housing the fan, fan motor and control unit. I have also bought a resistor upgrade from Jules which I intend to fit before I do the upgrade.

The question is how do I go about the swap out. I have read Mikes how to which describes all the dismatling and I have also read an article from Car Mechanics which recommends cutting a slot in the fan housing so it can be liberated from the air con pipes.

I don't want to dismantle the air con pipes so i think I am left with two options.

Option one is make a cut in the new and old housing and swap the entire assemblies or

Option two swap over the individual components.

Which would you do and is there anything I'm not aware of that might influence my decision?

Thanks

Andy
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 12:57   #2
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Fan Assembly

Assume the assembly wasn't new. Could I ask what they charged for it ?
Unless your housing is in considerably better condition than the bought one then I would think your option 1 is the best way to go (and doctor the housing too)
As Car Mechanics said 'can't think why Rover didn't make the housing with the cut out in the first place'.
Only remains for someone to advise best placing for the control box as I imagine you can resite to make it more accessible the next time, if necessary.
Let's know how you get on, cheers, Dave
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 13:03   #3
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

Dave,

The assembly is indeed new. It came in a box! The units were sourced from the supplier to MG Rover who snatched them back or more likely failed to deliver them when MG Rover imploded.

I was put on to their availability by someone else on the forum last week. They are £175 complete.

The guy has a hundred or so in stock but told me he is selling five or six a week, mostly in to the trade so his stock won't last for ever.

Andy
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:01   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

There is a how-to on the .org site which shows how to "hinge" the cowl unit enough to get at the fan motor mounting bolts which are sadistically only accessible from behind. This removes the need to cut away any of the cowling.

However, I couldn't get enough purchase on (murphy's law it was the last) fan motor fixing bolt/screw, so I had to cut away the cowl. Did mean I could remove/refit the fan on the bench though, so I reckon if I did it again, this is the way I'd do it. Doh, obviously I would on my car, as it's cut away already, but you know what I mean!

HTH

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 15:07   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

If you intend to fit the entire thing I would simply cut away the plastic so that it can be fitted without disconnecting the refrigerant pipes.
If not simply use the new motor and fan and bin the new cowling as apart from being nice and clean you don't really need to change it over.

Makes sure it works etc before fitting the resistor mod
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 17:36   #6
MartinW

MG TF LE500

I used the Hinge method to do my motor swap. The only aggravation and hold-up was having to carefully use a Dremel and stone to grind away the one screw. The screws are a self tapping that cuts a thread as they're assembled into the fan motor flange - two of them undid after some penetrating oil, the third was ground away. I only found out from Keith afterwards that the screws self tap a new thread as the new motor did not have threaded holes. You should be ok, if your's is already part of an assembly. As said above the Torx screws are awkwardly located behind the cowl.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:04   #7
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

has jules found the answer to his swap from 3 speed to 2 speed motor? I'm hanging on and not ordering one until I hear the end of that story...!

p.s was yours 175 all in or plus vat... and plus postage...?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 19:19   #8
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

I read this post with a bit of alarm and despondency as I have a 2.5 Club Auto on 47k, and I always leave the aircon on as it keeps the compressor in good nick, (so says my local aircon place). My previous car, a Mazda Xedos 9, had two motors, Air-con, and cooling, and both never failed in the time I had the car, and I took it from 37k to 128k.

So it seems I have to 'bite the bullet' for these costly parts, and also, it seems for the VIS, at some point in the future.

What is really needed is a reliable replacement motor. I wonder what Nanjing Motor, and SAIC are using.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 20:34   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
has jules found the answer to his swap from 3 speed to 2 speed motor? I'm hanging on and not ordering one until I hear the end of that story...!

p.s was yours 175 all in or plus vat... and plus postage...?

YES GO AHEAD!! and order 2 speed PW. I was barking up the wrong tree and was testing out the new fan motor without the blades fitted!

So there was no load on the motor and hence no volts drop across resistor!(well 0.5 volts instead of 7 volts on Half speed)

Sorry to mislead you all, I was going to make a 70 mile treck to Kieth's to check it out on T4, but found a mobile VehicleTech right on my doorstep!!
He has a Laptop with a small interface OBD 11/SAE J1850 16 pin for rovers.

He uses "Multi Diag" by Actia system and it replicated most of the T4 testbook functions ie:

Tested my CDT ECU which in turn sent commands to the new 2 speed fan and HEY PRESTO switched between the 2 speeds on demand !

The only mystery to me is how the ECU now knows I have a 2 speed fan instead of the old 3? Keith will know I'm sure
I will edit the original Interchangeability thread so as not to confuse any more people.

Like they say a little bit a knowledge is dangerous!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block

Last edited by Jules; 13th June 2007 at 20:41..
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 21:01   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesbass View Post
The only mystery to me is how the ECU now knows I have a 2 speed fan instead of the old 3? Keith will know I'm sure
It does not, it turns on the low speed relay for AC and it is the low speed relay that the resistor is wired to.
When the ECU requests medium speed it also turns on the medium speed relay as well as the low speed relay remaining on but in this case nothing will happen obviously.
So then the ecu just waits for conditions to get to the point where it then needs to request high speed, nothing intelligent is going on
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote