Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th July 2018, 18:01   #21
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post

There are also new (ish) owners, like myself who bought the car for the long haul. I have a small reliable everyday car but purchased my 75 knowing that they are getting on a bit. I am expecting bills to keep coming in but don't mind. I just enjoy keeping old bikes and now cars going. I am planning to run it for years, and yes things will go wrong. Yes, rust will be a problem, but that's just the TLC it will need.

I am wondering how many owners on here belong to my group. For any old bike or car to keep going it needs good support and a strong following. Without this, it is VERY VERY hard to keep a vehicle running and working.

There are very some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and if any of those people move on to a different vehicle I know I for one would be struggling.
I bought my 2.5 KV6 tourer four years ago and intend keeping it for another four. It's cost me around £1000 a year in servicing so far, but it only cost £850 to buy. The most expensive thing was belt replacement shortly after purchase. So, all in all, £5000 to run (and I do use it as my main car) a top of the range luxury vehicle isn't bad at all.Of course, without the help of the enthusiasts on this forum, it might not have gone so well!
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 18:16   #22
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I bought my 1.8T auto as a daily and use it as such. It's comfortable, refined, practical, kit-laden, easy to drive and a joy to use. If I had the luxury of a fleet of cars it would be nice to keep the 75 as a weekend wafter, however the now-vacant weekend car slot on my driveway (my TF has now gone) will remain occupied by something sporty and unsuitable for daily use. I bought well and do what I can to keep the car in good order, to help ensure its daily reliability and to try and preserve the car, but the car is for using not keeping as a museum piece.
Old 13th July 2018, 18:44   #23
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I have owned 3 MG/R cars over the last 5 years.

Clarabelle we bought first and sold last 2.0 CDT auto saloon PPD
The grey MG ZTT 2.0 auto
Shadow, ZT 2.0 Auto, black and quick as hell

why sell?

good offers, finished projects, her ladyship finding the seats too low to get into.

But really, I needed something to do serious miles and carry heavy equipment in all conditions (4WD).
Diesel's will be cained with emissions and tax in coming years.

I have been thoroughly converted to LPG.. so clean, so cheap... has to be for me...

So a petrol 4x4 with LPG for me and work and HRH has fallen for the Jag S type which we will LPG convert soon.

I still love the MG/R marque, but with rust on the suspension parts, the age of the cars, the high chance of scrappage on the slightest nock and good examples becoming rarer plus HRH moaning about me working on cars, it's just too much...

I am sorely tempted to find a good body and do a ground up resto though... just for the hell of it..
Old 13th July 2018, 19:24   #24
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My daily drive is a 2 litre v6 connie auto with cruise etc. My wife does not like it. Seats too hot, cold , slippery, uncomfortable. Reminds her of our Morris 1000 traveller from 40 years ago! Doesn't like a car that that changes gears on it's own and try's to drive itself.

So today picked up my 1.8 L club SE from the body shop, cloth upholstery and manual gears. £1,500 for some severe welding work on offside rear wheel arch and sill, cut out a hockey stick chunk. Inner sill welded, wheel arch corrosion treated. All dents and bumper scuffs sorted and some, well quite a lot, of painting done. Hopefully should last me another 5 to 7 years.
Whatever it costs, I love my Rover and will try my best to keep it alive.

Too many of these cars are getting scrapped due to the cost of keeping them on the road.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 05:58   #25
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Had my conni tourer almost four years now, have used it as my daily driver. When my new double garage is finally built both it and my mgtf are being taken off the road and stored there whilst I do them up. I do think these cars are getting to the point of being almost unviable as daily drivers, they now deserve better!
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 06:07   #26
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

My tourer was a daily driver for 50,000 miles until we got the Paceman. It now has an easy life being rotated with the R8 coupe and Fiat 500. It still gets used for carrying stuff when needed. You see less and less on the roads as most faults cost way more than the value of the car to fix so I think we are moving away from cars bought cheap to run until they expire.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 06:54   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

My CDT has been the daily driver for the last 397k miles. Was originally delivered new as a company car. I have another CDT as back up, and an old Freelander for use as a spare car for all the family to use and do the dump runs and the like.

Mrs Noc has her own Auto CDT.

Just topped up the spares stock by scrapping a Facelift CDT that had seen better days, and so will stick with Rovers until I get too old to fix them or too old to clamber in and out of them.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 07:49   #28
paul d
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Saab 93 'vert

Bought mine 4 1/2 years ago. had wanted one for some time, as I thought they looked more like a Jag than a Jag.

Got it completely wrong, with hindsight I would still have got one but not this one. As a lot will know it's been a REAL pain & for the first 6 months only on the road for about 6 weeks. Wanted to burn it, drive it into a wall but got there in the end.

up until last September it was the daily drive & the only car we had. Totally reliable, comfortable & dare I say stylish. Due to the knee issues I now have had to get an Auto, wanted another convertible after the Metro, so bought the Saab.

Couldn't sell the 75 though, not then anyway, they get under your skin. they become like pets almost.

So while the Saab is a great car, a really good car, it doesn't have the same SOUL as a 75.

So decided that I'd sell & look for another one, this time an auto as I really do love the cars.

All that said, part of things is the doing it all yourself & not just put it in the garage & pay someone, which I will miss this time around. Trikey you could be busy mate

The cars should be enjoyed & if well maintained I see no reason why you can't use them daily. Yes there's always the accident situation but it can happen with any car, you don't not take the dog out for a walk because it might break a leg chasing a ball.

Many types of owners & there hopefully always will be. Don't really think it matters, if I'm honest, what type you are AS LONG AS YOU ARE ONE

Regards

Paul
Old 14th July 2018, 07:54   #29
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi all,

Interesting thread.

Many of you know that I came across this forum while looking for a car to trundle up and down from the Tamworth to our sons in Newcastle.

I'd spent a rather large amount of time looking for something comfortable and decent to "point in the general direction and get on with it" so I'd been going through the usual suspects: Mondeo, Vectra, Passat, A4, BMW, etc. etc. Seriously considered Avensis & Mazda 6 as have had very reliable cars from both makes.

I'm sure there are great examples of these cars out there but trying to sort the wood from the chaff is a nightmare.

Anyway, it was this forum that made up my mind to go for a 75. Such a great group of people; ridiculous amounts of knowledge and experience; a bit of banter and generally the sort of place I could see myself involved in.

Now, I've sort of fallen in love with her and, with the help and support on here and at the unbelievable nano's (have you ever tried to explain what happens there to someone else? In the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it") I'm looking forward to a long ownership.

Yes, I'm expecting stuff to go wrong and that'll be a pain but at least it's not a dealership sucking their teeth before presenting a four figure bill 'cus they're the only ones with the kit to fix it.

Looking forward to many more miles and years of comfortable motoring.

Andy.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 14th July 2018 at 08:00..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 08:49   #30
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Question

Maybe our lovely 75/ZT are not yet old enough to see an actual increase in their value.
With the help of TLC (and some quids indeed) the winners will be those keeping their gem in pretty good nick as long as possible...
May our reward appear at a close turn on our common road?
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote