Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th July 2018, 07:24   #1
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Default The next generation of owners.

I have read quite a few posts recently about owners selling their cars and buying something else. These owners have obviously been keen Rover / MG owners to even be on this and other forum's.

It would seem that there are owners that have had a 75 / ZT for some years and are now planning on selling up and moving on simply because their cars are getting to that age where they need plenty of TLC and are in some cases no longer viable as reliable everyday transport.

There are also new (ish) owners, like myself who bought the car for the long haul. I have a small reliable everyday car but purchased my 75 knowing that they are getting on a bit. I am expecting bills to keep coming in but don't mind. I just enjoy keeping old bikes and now cars going. I am planning to run it for years, and yes things will go wrong. Yes, rust will be a problem, but that's just the TLC it will need.

I am wondering how many owners on here belong to my group. For any old bike or car to keep going it needs good support and a strong following. Without this, it is VERY VERY hard to keep a vehicle running and working.

There are very some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and if any of those people move on to a different vehicle I know I for one would be struggling.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 07:31   #2
scottish_don
Loves to post

None

I'm in the same place as you.....my 75 does about 800-1000 miles a year, only on weekends and only if its dry. I know that I will pay bills that are worth more than the car but I intend to keep mine going as long as possible.
Old 13th July 2018, 07:50   #3
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Same as you, it's a second car, there's no frickin way I'd use my ZT as my only car, the running costs of these vehicles especially at this age are becoming unreasonably high.

You either need to be very handy with a spanner or deep pockets. In the past 3 months and less than 500 miles I've spent over £1500 on repairs and parts to just get it to MOT spec, for that I could've leased a car for a year. I expect more expense to come too.
Old 13th July 2018, 07:51   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I got my car as a tow car for my caravan. Low spec when it came off the production line but members with knowledge have helped me up grade. I'm not a fan of saloons or diesels but I love my CDT. With the knowledge I am gaining and with members help I hope not to have to change this car.
New parts availability is already a problem and in time, my age and agility will become a problem. Soon I suspect obtaining good second hand parts will also be a problem.

Moving on to another car because your current car needs money spent on it has never made financial sense to me and I don't change for the sake of change

I have tinkered with my car just for preventative maintenance reasons, dealing with that seized bolt now before I need to have that bolt apart but this takes time and money. Semi retirement gives me time and a part time job clears my conscience to spend the money.

A Rover 75 may not be the best car but I always feel good driving it and that is so important.

There are people loving these cars, just look at a breakers yard to see how much of the car has already been stripped.

I hope those very clever and knowledgeable members here do not depart this forum before me because I too would be stuck.

Thank you for your help and generosity

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 07:52   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I couldn't afford to run two cars, don't have the space either, my 75 has to be my daily runner.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 07:59   #6
Nev The Bear
This is my second home

Does not matter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 987 Posts

My ZT-T Wurzel was my daily driver up until Easter this year. I now have a Citroen C1 as my daily driver which has no road tax payable a lot better mpg and smaller maintenance costs such as servicing, tyres etc.

Wurzel is now on a restricted mileage policy and is more pampered then ever and only goes out for meets, day trips out, some holidays and shows.
Nev The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 08:05   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I'm in the same camp as the OP. My CDT is the daily driver and the 1.8k the "Sunday Best".

My Omega estate will be 19 years old this September but drives like new.

My car ownership is always for the long haul, but can appreciate when people wish to move on.

Last edited by MSS; 13th July 2018 at 08:07..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 09:07   #8
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I've a cx3 as a daily driver. I use it when going to work or shopping or anywhere I know I'll have to put the car in a car park for several hours at a time. It makes the o/h laugh that I don't worry about the brand new car getting trolley dents but park the 75 in the widest, furthest away space I can find to try and stop anything happening to it.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 09:07   #9
Stephen Fussell
Regional Secretary

2015 Mini Challenge 210 & 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDTi

I've had my 75 since it was a couple of years old. Lives in the garage, comes out occasionally. Often does less than 150 miles a year.
Stephen Fussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 09:15   #10
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Same as you, it's a second car, there's no frickin way I'd use my ZT as my only car, the running costs of these vehicles especially at this age are becoming unreasonably high.

You either need to be very handy with a spanner or deep pockets. In the past 3 months and less than 500 miles I've spent over £1500 on repairs and parts to just get it to MOT spec, for that I could've leased a car for a year. I expect more expense to come too.
I've used my previous ZT as an everyday car and I'm on my second one I bought last year and it's still my main car although as it's low mileage and in excellent condition (and a rarer SE) I tend to cosset it a bit more. When my dad passed away earlier this year I kept his Volvo 740 estate which i use for more running about, runs to the tip etc. Interesting working the fuel consumption out, this is a 2.0L auto and gives about 20 mpg around town which is about what I get from my 2.5L V6...

I don't see any point though in keeping the car locked away in the garage and not enjoying it, not using it regularly is probably worse for a car than one that is regularly used. I figure whatever I run there will be running costs - I would expect to have to buy things like tyres, brake pads and brake discs every so often regardless of what I bought.

I also own a classic car and a double deck bus, which averages about 8 - 9 mpg, so running costs of a V6 pale into insignificance... just £1k for 4 new tyres a couple of years ago for example.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote