Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2018, 10:47   #1
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Default 2003 Mk1 Parking Aid Not Working - what next????

About a couple of months ago my parking aid system started playing up. At first it would do the repeating beep whether you were near something or not then it moved to just one long continuous beep whenever in reverse.

Just because it was cheap and to rule it out I replaced the reverse switch in the front wheel well. BTW Reverse lights work perfectly so no doubts in that area.

After a read on here I listened carefully to each sensor in turn and sure enough one of them didn't make the tick, tick noise so bought a replacement on ebay here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151104860135

which I painted and fitted using as light a coat of paint as I dare.

After fitting the sensor all sensors including the new one tick, ticked but whenever in reverse I get nothing at all. Tried swapping the od sensor back and it goes to a continuous tone.

Next step I replaced the wiring loom between the sensors and the plug on the body work in the centre of the boot opening part# YMV000040. No difference :-(

Next replaced the ECU part# YWC107190 - again no difference.

Checked the F12 fuse in the passenger compartment footwell and all good.

If I leave the lights on and pull the keys out I get the bing, bing warning (think I read they share same speaker/sounder and noise comes from near IPC)

Not sure where to go next...any ideas?

BTW when I first put car in reverse and switch ignition on I can hear what sounds like a grandfather clock gentle ticking noise just by the rear driver's side wheel which I guess is a relay doing the initial test????

Quick recap...

Reverse switch in front wheel arch replaced - reverse lights work fine.

Replaced non ticking sensor with new ebay sensor - all sensors tick when in reverse

Replaced wiring loom between actual sensors and bodywork with no difference

Replaced ecu with no difference

Parking system makes no noise at all at any time (apart from the tick from the sensors and a tick/tock in the rear drivers side wing)
JeffD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 18:44   #2
livan
Regular poster

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
About a couple of months ago my parking aid system started playing up. At first it would do the repeating beep whether you were near something or not then it moved to just one long continuous beep whenever in reverse.

Just because it was cheap and to rule it out I replaced the reverse switch in the front wheel well. BTW Reverse lights work perfectly so no doubts in that area.

After a read on here I listened carefully to each sensor in turn and sure enough one of them didn't make the tick, tick noise so bought a replacement on ebay here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151104860135

which I painted and fitted using as light a coat of paint as I dare.

After fitting the sensor all sensors including the new one tick, ticked but whenever in reverse I get nothing at all. Tried swapping the od sensor back and it goes to a continuous tone.

Next step I replaced the wiring loom between the sensors and the plug on the body work in the centre of the boot opening part# YMV000040. No difference :-(

Next replaced the ECU part# YWC107190 - again no difference.

Checked the F12 fuse in the passenger compartment footwell and all good.

If I leave the lights on and pull the keys out I get the bing, bing warning (think I read they share same speaker/sounder and noise comes from near IPC)

Not sure where to go next...any ideas?

BTW when I first put car in reverse and switch ignition on I can hear what sounds like a grandfather clock gentle ticking noise just by the rear driver's side wheel which I guess is a relay doing the initial test????

Quick recap...

Reverse switch in front wheel arch replaced - reverse lights work fine.

Replaced non ticking sensor with new ebay sensor - all sensors tick when in reverse

Replaced wiring loom between actual sensors and bodywork with no difference

Replaced ecu with no difference

Parking system makes no noise at all at any time (apart from the tick from the sensors and a tick/tock in the rear drivers side wing)
Hello Friend
recently my parking aid also stopped working
I will be careful
livan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 06:40   #3
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

I had a similar issue, parking assist was not working continual bleep and just kept getting a ticking sound from somewhere in the rear, this stopped when I disconnected the parking ecu!
I happened to have a spare ecu so swapped them over, no difference, turned out that my spare was also faulty!
Could be you have picked up a duff one also?
You could try disconnecting the plugs from the ecu to test
Good luck
Gareth
Gareth.Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 12:56   #4
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Well I've done a bit more poking about...

I've now put back my original ECU and have found that if I disconnect the white plug (between the sensor loom and the ECU) then switch on the ignition without starting engine) and then engage reverse I get a continuous beep for about 5 seconds.

if I then plug in the white plug all of the reverse sensors behave normally except the new one and if I wave my hand in front of them, in turn, the beep sounds.

So current thinking is either new sensor I bought is either incompatible??? or by painting it I have damaged it somehow???

Anyway, I have now bought a genuine 2nd hand one off eBay which I am going to fit without painting so I can rule out the application of paint as a reason.

So at moment, I have original ECU, 3 original sensors and 1 new apparently non-working one and a 2nd hand replacement loom up to the sensors.

just waiting for the sensor to arrive....

NB Forgot to say when it does arrive before I fit it I'm going to swap the new "non working" sensor around with one of the other sensors to confirm whether its the sensor or the wiring.....should have done that first TBH! LOL

Last edited by JeffD; 12th July 2018 at 12:59..
Old 12th July 2018, 19:02   #5
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
Well I've done a bit more poking about...

I've now put back my original ECU and have found that if I disconnect the white plug (between the sensor loom and the ECU) then switch on the ignition without starting engine) and then engage reverse I get a continuous beep for about 5 seconds.

if I then plug in the white plug all of the reverse sensors behave normally except the new one and if I wave my hand in front of them, in turn, the beep sounds.

So current thinking is either new sensor I bought is either incompatible??? or by painting it I have damaged it somehow???

Anyway, I have now bought a genuine 2nd hand one off eBay which I am going to fit without painting so I can rule out the application of paint as a reason.

So at moment, I have original ECU, 3 original sensors and 1 new apparently non-working one and a 2nd hand replacement loom up to the sensors.

just waiting for the sensor to arrive....

NB Forgot to say when it does arrive before I fit it I'm going to swap the new "non working" sensor around with one of the other sensors to confirm whether its the sensor or the wiring.....should have done that first TBH! LOL
Hi Please let us know what happens - i have the long beep as well - i put it down to loose wires in the sensor loom as it comes and goes if i ride over a bump/pothole but it seems to have been with me now for a while so anything you discover will be useful.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 19:14   #6
livan
Regular poster

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Hi Please let us know what happens - i have the long beep as well - i put it down to loose wires in the sensor loom as it comes and goes if i ride over a bump/pothole but it seems to have been with me now for a while so anything you discover will be useful.
today investigate a little
I discovered that the speaker is not working
livan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 19:42   #7
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Hoorah I managed to fix this today :-)

Earlier in the week, I ordered a genuine "new old stock" sensor and finally got round to fitting it today.

To test the wiring at the same time rather than just replacing the non-working sensor I replaced it with one of the already fitted ones then fitted the new one into it's place. This way if the wiring was broken the fault would stay in the same place.

So in conclusion either the new sensor I bought was faulty or the painting it "damaged" it in some way???? Currently, its bare black plastic so I'm going to be brave and paint it with ever so lightest dusting of paint. Hope it does break again! :-(