Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2018, 11:26   #1
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Default Front springs question

I'm going to fit a new set of springs and dampers to the front of the ZT.

I thought I should dry fit the springs to the struts to make sure I have been sent the right bits. The struts are correct thanks to Mat @ DMGRS but having looked at the springs I'm not so sure.

Has anyone got some pics to show how the spring seats?

I could of course take a look inside the wheelarch but it's hardly a yawning gap between the tyre and the arch, so just wondered if there were some images handily available to refer to.

Thanks.

PS, the workshop is blimmin' cold!

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 14:38   #2
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

Hello Pete,

it's pretty clear really how the spring sits on the strut...the end of the base of the spring butts up against a step in the spring seat. Very difficult to get it wrong as the tension in the spring acts to settle the spring on the seat. There's also a cut out portion on the spring seat which allows a compressor to be fitted to the spring right at its base, making it easier to compress the spring properly and allowing fitment.

Hopefully you have new dampers/struts.. For anyone trying to refit springs, it can be very difficult if not impossible to refit springs to used dampers as often the strut piston will not extend fully under internal gas pressure if any pressure has been lost due to wear or deterioration in seals. The piston should extend by around 40 cms or more in a new or good damper ( from memory ). If it doesn't extend to its full length, to its natural 'stop', then compressing springs enough to refit can be difficult and potentially dangerous.

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 16:10   #3
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Thanks Mike. The struts are new with an additional coat of satin black Hard Hat. I placed the spring in and as you said the end of the coil butts up correctly. Now it's a case of understanding the top, where I think an isolater winds into the top of the coil and sits against the bearing.

Old 1st April 2018, 19:53   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Pete, the spring has a plastic ribbed cover fitted to the bottom coil which isolates it from the cup on the damper, the top has a Metalastic rubber cup where one side sits in the spring, and the other cups the strut top mounting.

What is most important is when decompressing the spring that the top rubber cup is allowed to seat squarely into the bearing, failure to do this will result in the oil seal of the top bearing becoming damaged resulting in early failure

The ZT is easier to fit springs to than the 75, as the free length of the spring is shorter, which also means easier to fit the assembled strut to the car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 19:55   #5
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

If you dismantle your old struts first, you will see the order of re-assembly as you take things apart. There is a plastic cap and sleeve over the top of the shock absorber, and a bump stop on top of which there is a steel washer/plate. Then you have the bearing assembly, including the rubber collar that sits atop the spring. The strut top is then secured after compressing the spring sufficiently, with a single nut. This should be a new nut ideally.

Make sure you use good quality compressors! Sealey, for example, do suitable spring compressors for around £35.00 or so.

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 22:50   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Pete.
I just read this and realised I have a strut just behind my shed so went out and took these photo's do not know if they will help or not, hopefully they will I am sure I have some other photo's as well, will try and find the Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 1st April 2018 at 23:11..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 23:11   #7
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Thanks for the info everyone. The struts will need to be dismantled to get the parts surrounding the piston so it should be pretty logical to reassemble. I will however take the time to make sure the bearing / cup mate properly.

Steve, I can't see the pics you mentioned. As you are here at the moment I'm guessing you might be in the process of putting them up - look forward to seeing them. Edit - I see them now - that's great stuff.

With all the extra paint on them, plus new top mounts and bearings, and a healthy coating of Dynax UB I'm hoping the front suspension will easily last as long as the originals. That pinchbolt at the bottom will be getting a ditched for a new one with a good thick covering too. First though, it might be going to my local garage for 5 minutes with their new tool - a nifty inductor thing

Old 1st April 2018, 23:28   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Pete.
yes I was uploading them I found the others from when I changed my sons front spring.

We used some heavy duty spring clamps as you can see in photo 3

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 23:54   #9
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The ZT is easier to fit springs to than the 75, as the free length of the spring is shorter, which also means easier to fit the assembled strut to the car
It isn't, the damper has a shorter stroke on the ZT. Easier on a 75.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:55   #10
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Pete.
yes I was uploading them I found the others from when I changed my sons front spring.

We used some heavy duty spring clamps as you can see in photo 3

My clamps aren't far off the same sort of size so they should do the trick. Springs are one of the few bits I really don't like doing.