Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th April 2020, 07:04   #1
Cosmin161

Rover 75 RJ

Default Power VIS issue

Hello,
I read many threads here about the VIS motors so i've tried fixing mine. I managed to get the balance one working but with the power one i encountered the following problem:
Fixed the tiny dc moor inside, fixed the electrical connection and checked the microswitches for resistence. All ok so i refitted the power VIS.
Before inserting the electrical connector i switched the ignition to on position so i could see if the vis is working. When i connected the cable the vis started spinning, clicked both microswitches but never stoped. It just keeps spinning. Another info that i can give is that when i run a diagnostic tool, at idle , the balance vis is beeing displayed as inacvtive but when i rev the engine it gets activated( as it should). The power VIS is allways displayed as active no mather the rpm.
Can you tell me what signals the vis to open or close?
Any help is apreciated!
PS: I'm romanian, please be kind with my english!
Cosmin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 09:01   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Cosmin.
I am sure our resident Vis motor expert ( Stocktake ) will be along shorty he will no doubt give you all the information you need, if not you could always drop him a PM he will not bite.

If he did it would a love one

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 6th April 2020 at 00:49.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 09:20   #3
Cosmin161

Rover 75 RJ

I'll wait for his answer. Thank you!
Old 5th April 2020, 09:23   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I think you may be mixing up the power and balance Vis motors.
It is the balance one that has the ability to continuously go round and round if it is not connected to the balance flap.
The power Vis (the one on the top) could simply over rotate and stop it will not go round and round.
If your balance Vis (the one on the side ) is going round and round you need to take the top off the Vis motor case and re position the cam on the final drive wheel so it is in between the two micro-switches. then when you reassemble it do not attempt to operate the Vis motor unless it is connected to the balance flap as this acts as a stop to stop the motor rotating continuously.
hope that helps.

Now, Steve, where do you want this love bite

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2020, 09:52   #5
Cosmin161

Rover 75 RJ

This is what i got from reading previous threads.
Balance VIS is the one that controls long/short intake channel.
Power VIS is the one that controls the six butterfly valves and the one that creates the rattle(witch i have).
Balance vis works. I performed a test with my diagnose and i can hear the tini dc motor and even the flap snaping closed.
Power VIS, the one that controls the six butterfly valves, spins continuouslly so please help me with that.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:01   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

When you say the power Vis spins continuously do you mean the final drive peg can actually be seen going round and round? Or, can you just hear the motor running? If it is the latter then the gearing inside has stripped from the final drive or the "bell end" of the motor has lost its grip on the spindle.

Just for clarity, this is the power Vis

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...MAAMXQjwVQ-hWa

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 5th April 2020, 10:07   #7
Cosmin161

Rover 75 RJ

Yes that is the VIS that i am refering to. With ignition on and the VIS in my hand i connect the cable and the wheel starys spinning without stopping. Maybe that the microswitches aren't pushed enough by the cam on the rotating gear? I cand hear both of them clicking though.
Old 5th April 2020, 10:14   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

OK Cosmin,
That is good information, your problem will almost certainly be in one of of the microswitches, either it is not positioned correct on the cam or the end of the switch has broken off which is hard to see but very common.
Simple to fix by changing the switch. Have a good look at both the switches and if you cannot see a problem just put your meter on then to check for continuity. then check the continuity is broken when you press in the switch. If it is the switch not opening then some of them can be taken apart and cleaned but some are none openable.

Edit: Switches ( cut middle leg off, not reqd.)
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/micro...d%22%3Atrue%7D

Last edited by stocktake; 5th April 2020 at 10:27..
Old 5th April 2020, 12:50   #9
Cosmin161

Rover 75 RJ

Removed the power VIS and rechecked everything. Zero rezistance on both microswitches, checked and resoldered some connections but the problem is stilk there. When i plug the cable in the gear wont stop spinning. I tried to push the switches by hand.. the same they don't do anything. So now i'm thinking about replaceing the small siemens relay inside.. For now i have refited the vis back without the actuator motor and blocked it into open position as i saw in some other threads. The engine runs ok in this configuration and of the replacement relay wont fix the issue then thats how it will remain. On another thread i've read that very few kv6es on road have both vis motors working.
Old 5th April 2020, 13:26   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

OK, when you push the switches in by hand you should go from zero resistance to infinite resistance on your meter. pressing the switches in should stop the motor, if not the switch is faulty. Again, have you checked the end of the switches, they break off very easily and it is easy to miss. I very much doubt it will be the relay.
Look at the attached diagram, (thanks to workaholic) you can see that the switch has to make to send the power to the motor. One of your switches is faulty