Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st March 2020, 16:13   #1
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

Default Help please can't get front crash bar off

Hi all

As I can no longer go to work due to the lockdown I thought I would tackle the front end jobs on my car

Replace the broken bonnet cable, fit the O rings to the intercooler and fix my 3 speed fan.

However I can not undo 1 bolt on the drivers side and 2 bolts on the passenger side of the crash bar. I have managed to fit the O rings so thats one job done. I also undone the bolts on the slam panel and managed to prise it forward enough to replace the broken bonnet cable but I need a new box and the plastic has also broken. My main issue now is the fan. I have bought replacement bushes but without being able to remove the crash bar I cant see how I can get the fan off.

Car is a 2003 diesel.
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 16:52   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

why cant you undo the bolts?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 17:24   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E View Post
Hi all

As I can no longer go to work due to the lockdown I thought I would tackle the front end jobs on my car

Replace the broken bonnet cable, fit the O rings to the intercooler and fix my 3 speed fan.

However I can not undo 1 bolt on the drivers side and 2 bolts on the passenger side of the crash bar. I have managed to fit the O rings so thats one job done. I also undone the bolts on the slam panel and managed to prise it forward enough to replace the broken bonnet cable but I need a new box and the plastic has also broken. My main issue now is the fan. I have bought replacement bushes but without being able to remove the crash bar I cant see how I can get the fan off.

Car is a 2003 diesel.
Hi Graham
If you are removing the slam panel you do not need to remove the crash bar, but you will need to remove the four bolts either side which holds the crash bar to the slam panel & the chassis arms.

As you know they are 13mm most likely rusted in a bit so try tightening them first then undoing them also spray a little plus gas on them, if they are starting to round off you need to get some Irwins bolt grip removers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRWIN-Bol...4AAOSwNtRdizoG

You will also need to nibble the plastic cowling from around the A/C joints that way you do not disturb the gas in the system.

Do the bottom A/C joint as well.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2020, 18:09   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Before you try to undo them give them a good couple of clouts with a blind punch and a lump hammer.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 07:20   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

And use a good hex socket.
Old 1st April 2020, 10:49   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
PlusGas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Before you try to undo them give them a good couple of clouts with a blind punch and a lump hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
And use a good hex socket.

And if the above don't work use heat. Should be pretty easy to get the blowtorch on the heads without melting anything important.

I usually heat with torch, spray with plusgas and use a good hex socket with 2 foot breaker bar - just make sure to check for 'spring' any sign of the bolt twisting and springing back then stop before the bolt snaps!

I am assuming that you don't have an powered impact gun of course? (even then the above methods can be used in conjunction with that, just replace the 2 foot breaker with the impact gun). It's even more important to use a quality socket and make sure the heads don't round when using the impact gun.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2020, 15:57   #7
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Mine were a little bit rusty when i removed them so cleaned them up and also run a M8 tap down the holes to clean the threads and then reassembled with a dab of copper grease on each fixing.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:19   #8
Graham E
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTI

Hi thanks for reply's.

Bolts have rounded off (not by me) tried hammering a smaller socket on but no joy.

Don't have anything to generate heat. They have been squirted with wd40, shock to unlock, hit with a punch, I have an impact gun which connects to car battery but no joy.

Nice pictures Artic. It's an outer bolts each side and one inside the round hole on passenger side.

I have had a thought about putting a two bolts on the rear of the bolt to see if that works. Will try again on the weekend. If not will invest in bolt grip removers
Graham E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:02   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

instead of Irwin consider these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Locking-Wheel-Nut-Removers-15pc-Nut-Bolt-Stud-Extractor-Twist-Socket-Set/143199556467

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:39   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham E View Post
Hi thanks for reply's.

Don't have anything to generate heat. They have been squirted with wd40, shock to unlock, hit with a punch, I have an impact gun which connects to car battery but no joy.

Nice pictures Artic. It's an outer bolts each side and one inside the round hole on passenger side.

I have had a thought about putting a two bolts on the rear of the bolt to see if that works. Will try again on the weekend. If not will invest in bolt grip removers

invest in a blowtorch - it's an often overlooked very useful workshop tool, a standard propane torch is fairly cheap. A MAP gas torch get's a lot hotter but is relatively expensive and needs a lot more care to use.

WD40 (standard wd40 that is) won't do anything. The wd40 brand do make their own version of a penetrating oil now, so if it says penetrating oil or similar on the can that's fine. Otherwise get some PlusGas or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

A blowtorch, proper penetrating oil and the above twist sockets might well work. But it sounds like you'll need to replace the bolts anyway - so could drill the heads off. But to do that you'll need a decent hand held drill (electric), a series of decent hss drill bits, A centre punch, a good eye to centre the punch (or make a tool with a socket washers and glue) and a steady hand so that you drill straight in line with bolt. I'd still try heat and penetrating fluid first though, easier overall.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote