Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th March 2020, 16:02   #1
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Say goodbye to retail establishments

I've been saying for years that bricks and mortar establishments will become obsolete. No more sales staff, call centre staff and warehouses will become the way forward for retail. If you want to see a new product, you will go to a showroom, and order it. The argos model will become the norm.

With the mad panic and mass self isolation over covid 19, people will see the benefits and the logistics of shopping online. Once this period ends, the retailers that do survive will dwindle as people will have found a trust and ability to shop online and continue to do so.

I would go as far to say that once this settles down, there will be at least a 20% increase in regular online shoppers.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 16:41   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

How many times have you been in shop, looked at what was for sale and rejected some of the items, particularly fruit and veg?

OK for branded cans and breakfast cereals etc, but not much else.
KWIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 18:18   #3
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I've been saying for years that bricks and mortar establishments will become obsolete. No more sales staff, call centre staff and warehouses will become the way forward for retail. If you want to see a new product, you will go to a showroom, and order it. The argos model will become the norm.

With the mad panic and mass self isolation over covid 19, people will see the benefits and the logistics of shopping online. Once this period ends, the retailers that do survive will dwindle as people will have found a trust and ability to shop online and continue to do so.

I would go as far to say that once this settles down, there will be at least a 20% increase in regular online shoppers.

And once it's highlighted of the environment damage caused by 1000's of primarily diesel vehicles making these deliveries a whopping online shopping tax will be levied.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 19:00   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snetty View Post
And once it's highlighted of the environment damage caused by 1000's of primarily diesel vehicles making these deliveries a whopping online shopping tax will be levied.
hmmmm some of that will be offset by those not driving to the shops in their cold engined vehicles

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 19:27   #5
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:

Quote:
hmmmm some of that will be offset by those not driving to the shops in their cold engined vehicles
When has reasoning ever got in the way of finding another way to tax you.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 20:07   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'm sure after this, people may well use on line more but I don't see the end for now of the shop. There may be less due to having gone bust and not because people shop on line.
Go to the shop, you can touch the item and learn things by touching. I want some cheap paint brushes. I cant find them on line but the hardware shop in town has them.
Some clothes fit better then others, on line could mean lots of activity, delivery and return, delivery and return.

On line shopping will open up to more employment opportunities but I wonder if enough to compensate for what is lost in the high street shops.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2020, 20:29   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

We wont lose shops due to a change in people's buying habits after this, however i do expect we'll lose some due to the financial impact.

One thing i think will always be around is clothes shops. I buy most things online, but clothing i have to buy from a shop. Very rarely ever bought any clothing online.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 1st April 2020 at 11:50..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote