Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2020, 10:50   #11
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Hi Thanks
Ive just seen these would they fit my Rover 75 2002 Diesel car https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/p/an...ring-627750621

cheers

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 10:59   #12
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

If you've entered your registration on their site and these came up then the answer is Yes. Don't forget to enter the discount code.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 22:38   #13
janker
Loves to post

Well im biting the bullet and ordered new arms springs and fitting bolts,Im going try to do it myself,shes to good a car to let go and if i cant do it on my back then i will pay a garage to do it,Im just wondering about this captive nut that can come free,Is there anyway i can get heat on it before i try to remove it or is it inside the subframe ?
I was going try to do it without dropping subframe if i can.

cheers julian

My New Addition
Old 29th February 2020, 00:54   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janker View Post
..... Im just wondering about this captive nut that can come free,Is there anyway i can get heat on it before i try to remove it or is it inside the subframe ?
I was going try to do it without dropping subframe if i can.

cheers julian
There are four of them - one per arm. The lower arm ones are directly above the red P in this pic. (This is the underside). You could get heat onto these two.

This is the topside - you can't see this side when the subframe is on the car. The upper arm pair are in those cutouts directly above the inner blue arrows. No chance of getting heat onto them unless you take the subframe off completely.

Sorry about all the arrows - they were originally for pointing out something else.

Last edited by Blink; 29th February 2020 at 01:00..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 07:16   #15
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

I guess I was lucky as I have just renewed mine, I sprayed the captive nut area with penetrating fluid for the week before and the bolt came out easily, the problem I had was the hub side the bolt and rose bush were solid so I had to cut them out and fit a new rose bush, which gave me time to spray the new arm with anti corrosion spray inside and out
Old 29th February 2020, 08:22   #16
janker
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
There are four of them - one per arm. The lower arm ones are directly above the red P in this pic. (This is the underside). You could get heat onto these two.

This is the topside - you can't see this side when the subframe is on the car. The upper arm pair are in those cutouts directly above the inner blue arrows. No chance of getting heat onto them unless you take the subframe off completely.

Sorry about all the arrows - they were originally for pointing out something else.
Many thanks that helps alot know i know what im dealing with appreciated .
julian

My New Addition
Old 29th February 2020, 11:34   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janker View Post
Many thanks that helps alot know i know what im dealing with appreciated.
julian
Here's a clearer view of them.

1. Both upper nuts viewed from topside

2. Closer split view of pic 1

3. As pic 2 but with cages arrowed

4. Both lower nuts viewed from underside

5. Closer split view of pic 4

Problem 1 is there are no 'spannerable' flats on the main body of the nuts - the only flats are inside the cage.

Problem 2 is the cage (arrowed blue in pic 3) is far too weak and it's liable to bend under high torsional force. If they'd used a much heavier gauge steel for the cages and welded it on properly, the idea would have worked - but they didn't!

If the cage bends too far the nut will spin and you can't stop it because you can't get a spanner onto it (although you can get grips onto the lower pair).

As Robti says above, the best bet is to bombard the area with penetrating fluid for a week before you try undoing the bolts. Plusgas is the best fluid I've found. You can wire brush the threads where they poke though the lower nuts before Plusgassing - you can't do this with the upper pair though. Plenty of Plusgas through the sides (arrowed below). Ditto onto all four bolt heads.

Good luck.

Last edited by Blink; 29th February 2020 at 12:04..
Old 29th February 2020, 14:07   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

My experience of these is that it is not the initial pressure applied to "crack" the bolt but the increasing pressure that is used when the rust on the end of the thread is being drawn through the nut.
Backwards and forwards is without doubt the best method here, as soon as you feel the bolt start to tighten up when you are undoing it then tighten it back up a bit and then start to undo it again.

Pretty good chance of getting them out that way.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 18:33   #19
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
My experience of these is that it is not the initial pressure applied to "crack" the bolt but the increasing pressure that is used when the rust on the end of the thread is being drawn through the nut. ....
Yes, definitely - rust is the major factor when undoing the bolts.

There's also a problem when tightening them. The nuts have inserts (pic below) - as soon as the bolt reaches the insert the nut starts to turn inside the cage. That alone can mess up the cage and back you're in the spinning nut situation again.

Old 3rd March 2020, 12:18   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Juilan - re the arm bolts, I forgot to say the handbrake cables get in the way of spanners and so does the heat shield.

Unbolting the heat shield will give you more room and (if the handbrake is off) the cables can be popped out of the bracket and pushed out of the way. Bracket is #6 here.

Upper arm bolts: you'll need a 75mm 1/2" extension to put between the 15mm socket and ratchet/breaker bar.

Last edited by Blink; 3rd March 2020 at 12:21..