Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th December 2019, 16:49   #1
macmalon
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Passenger door won't open at all

Hi,

I come here because I cannot open my passenger door (LHD).

A bit of history: one year ago, this door wouldn't unlock with the remote. So I decided to unmount the whole lock system to repair one of the motor inside. I put it back and the door would lock and unlock perfectly with the remote.

Now, one month ago, my passenger inside the car said to me, hey I cannot open the door. So I told him to release the handle and pull a second time. But the door was really stuck. So he had to get out through the driver door. The small lock bit was half way, neither fully open, neither fully down. When I pulled on it it went back to position and the same when I pushed on it.

Today I decided to have a real look at the problem. I managed to kind of open the door panel and get my hand inside the door. I managed to get access to the door latch mechanism but nothing happens. When I fiddled with the green bit, which correspond to the locking/unlocking system, it doesn't want to stay in position. So there's actually no way I can open this damned door now, and I really don't know what to do. I guess something has moved inside the locking mechanism because of me previously unmounting it...

Any help is welcome. And I hope it won't be a crowbar job...
macmalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 17:17   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

locate the white clip that grips the threaded bar and open the clip so it is loose from the bar, then try to open the door from the inside

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 17:27   #3
macmalon
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Thanks for your reply.

I did this already. While fiddling with this part, it came off. Actually, everything is now detached from the mechanism (cable from the handle, and both rods). I can move the lever where the white plastic bit was, but it does nothing...
Old 28th December 2019, 17:46   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Is the cable still connected to the lock mechanism? If so and pulling the cable should open the door. This has been the case in all but one of these situations I have come across. In that instance it wasn't one I dealt with but read about on here and the lock had failed in a deadlock position.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 21:21   #5
macmalon
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Well, when the cable was still connected to the mechanism, it did nothing neither. I couldn't feel any movement in the mechanism when I pulled on it. But I'll try to open the little plastic hatch where the cable connects and fiddle with what's inside blind style...
Old 28th December 2019, 21:28   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like you need a replacement solenoid.
Old 28th December 2019, 21:37   #7
macmalon
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Unhappy

Sure, if I manage to open the door, I'll order a brand new lock mechanism from RimmerBros. But for the time being, I'm stuck... And actually, when I lock and unlock the car with the key fob whith my hand on the mechanism inside the door, I feel it's moving inside. So at least one of the motors is working.

I guess some spring or another part has moved inside the locking mechanism which prevents it to stay in the unlock state.

Will I have to use a grinder on the door and go find a new door to replace this one?