Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2017, 17:35   #41
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I see nothing wrong with a Ford, generally. I have a Ford engine in my V8, and that is miles better than any Rover engine with the exception of the 3500. I have a Ford engine in the X-type, with a sprinkling of extras like variable cam timing and metal in stead of plastic.
What is there not to like?

Comparing the two, I cannot say that the one is miles better than the other, but I can and do say, I prefer the Jaguar and Ford engines over any of the Rover k-units. But that is just me.
As for handling and the rest, there is nothing wrong with the Jaguar, believe me.
I am pleasantly surprised, and I enjoy it. So that is all that counts!
The rust issues you have in the UK are of no concern here, so I will not worry about it, except treating for it.
If it is (or not) a FORD, I don't care two hoots. I buy my cars for enjoyment.
Absolutely agree with you there, the car is an steal at the purchase price and suits the SA climate, not the U.K. I am afraid, and having Ford mechanicals and a floorpan is what makes the car what it is, a Jaguar it is not,in fact there has not been a real Jaguar since the legendary Mark II in the 60s. It's part and parcel of the decline of the British car industry, modern Jaguars are lacking something, and if I was paying money like that it will not be on a Jag regrettably.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 17:45   #42
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Not been a real Jaguar since the Mk2? What were the XJ6, XJ12, the XJ-C, XJ-S and XJ40 then?

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 18:24   #43
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Not been a real Jaguar since the Mk2? ....
That is correct, in the same way that there has not been a real Ford since the Mk 1 Capri, no real Vauxhall since the Chevette, no real Peugeot since the Talbot Alpine, no real Rover since the Austin Metro and of cousre all the modern VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes are manufacturer heritage fakes.

The only car that is real is the Hindustan Ambassador. Although, perhaps not for long.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/57089753.cms

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 20:25   #44
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
That is correct, in the same way that there has not been a real Ford since the Mk 1 Capri, no real Vauxhall since the Chevette, no real Peugeot since the Talbot Alpine, no real Rover since the Austin Metro and of cousre all the modern VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes are manufacturer heritage fakes.

The only car that is real is the Hindustan Ambassador. Although, perhaps not for long.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/57089753.cms

lol but that in itself could be argued was not a real Hindustan :P I do get your point though lol. (dont forget to throw Nissan into the mix. Maybe Lamborghini? Rover too, they did go the same way as Jaguar at roughly the same time lol. (which is where the real downfall of MGR began really -half a dozen or so manufacturers amalgamated yet remained separate and isolated from each other, competing against each other, rather than pooling their resources and talent to combat the competition creeping in from the far east.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 11:56   #45
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
No, nothing wrong with the BMW, except, strangely almost everything that goes wrong in my Rovers are made in Germany!
The lights go cloudy, Hella, the rear lights break (tourer Hella) the brake pads fall off the one rear brake (Ate), the instrument cluster lines up (VDO), the ABS goes wonky, the front bushes for the control arms wear out (BMW), the computer failed on the 1.8T (Magneto Marelli but we all know who assisted the Germans, don't we!)
No, nothing wrong with BMW, there are even some very desirable cars among them.

Just a shame they are German.
kaiser, there is one big positive to your new purchase!!! you dont need to go an design another metal thermostat housing for the JAG !!!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 13:17   #46
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

He he. You are right!
Metal all round, mostly.
Kudos to Ford (or Jaguar)