Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2019, 13:25   #11
Blink
Loves to post
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 312
Thanks: 57
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
.....I stripped down my entire rear end, new everything apart from subframe, but all the parts I sent off for blasting, zinc priming, then finished in off-shore grade black 2pack paint. (even the new bits as the standard finish is garbage)....
Was this process expensive Ross (blasting, zinc priming and off-shore grade repaint)? I'm going to replace all my rear end components with brand new parts and I'm wondering whether I should do the same as you've done.

I think the factory paint job on new parts is nowhere near tough enough - it looks like a single black finish coat straight onto on bare metal. This is what's caused all our rear ends to rust in the first place.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 15:19   #12
gnu
Avid contributor
 
gnu's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bristol
Posts: 229
Thanks: 74
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Post Job done!

Thanks for the advice. I bought the Bilt Hamber products and have applied to the R25, touching up some other areas whilst at it (such as hatch hinges) with body paint. Not a pleasant job. Removing the wheel arch liners were a pain and should have pre-bought some of the self tapping fasteners as a screwdriver was no good to get them out. Mole grips was the tool of choice!

Before:










After:











Feet up for a bit now.

In a week's time I'll clean and wax with the BH wax I bought...
__________________
gnu
gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 15:49   #13
T16
I really should get out more.......
 
ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundee
Posts: 2,813
Thanks: 10
Thanked 318 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Was this process expensive Ross (blasting, zinc priming and off-shore grade repaint)? I'm going to replace all my rear end components with brand new parts and I'm wondering whether I should do the same as you've done.

I think the factory paint job on new parts is nowhere near tough enough - it looks like a single black finish coat straight onto on bare metal. This is what's caused all our rear ends to rust in the first place.
£300 to strip, zinc prime, and 2-pack coat all the rear components.

All the new parts were done also, the factory "finish" is dreadful, single layer of already flaking paint.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T16 For This Useful Post:
Old 24th June 2019, 16:29   #14
Blink
Loves to post
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 312
Thanks: 57
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
£300 to strip, zinc prime, and 2-pack coat all the rear components.

All the new parts were done also, the factory "finish" is dreadful, single layer of already flaking paint.
£300 is a bit steep for me. I was thinking of doing it myself using this - https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/e...hassis-paint-7 - on all new parts but with the lousy factory paint job roughed up.


Apologies to gnu for barging in on your thread.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 16:37   #15
Blink
Loves to post
 
Blink's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Mercia
Posts: 312
Thanks: 57
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
... I bought the Bilt Hamber products and have applied to the R25 .....





Looks pretty good to me. Did you put two coats of BH on or just one?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 16:54   #16
T16
I really should get out more.......
 
ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dundee
Posts: 2,813
Thanks: 10
Thanked 318 Times in 201 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
£300 is a bit steep for me. I was thinking of doing it myself using this - https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/e...hassis-paint-7 - on all new parts but with the lousy factory paint job roughed up.


Apologies to gnu for barging in on your thread.
Was more expensive as I asked for offshore grade 2-pack.

Subframe will still be here come the next Ice Age.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 17:33   #17
gnu
Avid contributor
 
gnu's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bristol
Posts: 229
Thanks: 74
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Looks pretty good to me. Did you put two coats of BH on or just one?
I put on one generous coat and touched up after on areas that looked thin or missed. I bought 2 cans of the UB (external surfaces) and one S50 (cavities). Pretty much all gone. I have some BH wax to apply once BRG paint touch up areas are hard.
__________________
gnu
gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnu For This Useful Post:
Old 25th June 2019, 20:24   #18
Robti
Posted a thing or two
 
Robti's Avatar
 
MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,564
Thanks: 469
Thanked 202 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
I put on one generous coat and touched up after on areas that looked thin or missed. I bought 2 cans of the UB (external surfaces) and one S50 (cavities). Pretty much all gone. I have some BH wax to apply once BRG paint touch up areas are hard.
Arg! have 2 cans of the S50 and was going to coat everything with it, from your post its only for cavities and I need UB for everything bar cavities, is this right ?
__________________
Robert
Robti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 20:46   #19
gnu
Avid contributor
 
gnu's Avatar
 
MG ZT

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bristol
Posts: 229
Thanks: 74
Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Arg! have 2 cans of the S50 and was going to coat everything with it, from your post its only for cavities and I need UB for everything bar cavities, is this right ?
I'm no expert, but that was my interpretation. I think you could put s50 on external surfaces, but it may wash off more easily. There is another product for lower paint work, but I didn't get it; thought I'd get the wax instead.
__________________
gnu
gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 21:25   #20
topman
This is my second home
 
topman's Avatar
 
MG ZT-T 190

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 5,499
Thanks: 375
Thanked 635 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Arg! have 2 cans of the S50 and was going to coat everything with it, from your post its only for cavities and I need UB for everything bar cavities, is this right ?
Not the only one I just bought a can of s50 for the underside
__________________
Like being creative?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd