Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2019, 23:14   #21
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I know it's the glass 'fretting' in the channel, as I've done this to death on my own car, I've had all four door seals out, tried everything from loosening the two lower pinch bolts on the regulator, bending the top of the door, adjusting the door hinges, packing it with rubber, sticking felt tape on the rubber, you name it. It's basically caused by the glass moving a tiny amount (like less than a milimetre) whilst it sits in the rubber, and it sounds like a very faint creaking rattle (a strange sound to describe), it's not loud, but once you notice it in an otherwise quiet car it's NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- annoying. I've stripped my entire car and loaded it with additional sound deadening (even the roof and wheel arch liners have a deadening coating and closed-cell foam), it's one of the quietest cars I've ever been in whilst crusing at 50mph on a smooth road. But the windows are the only thing that you can faintly hear.

Silicone makes it worse, everytime, in fact I can tell if the car wash uses silicone-based car polish from the noise of the windows for a few weeks after.

The only thing that reduces it is as I've said, and as BMW recommended. But it doesn't go away completely, and will slowly come back again.

I just wished they flocked the glass channel rubbers as most manufacturers do. They obviously skipped it to save a few quid, although as mentioned most BMWs of the era didn't either, so it just obviously wasn't one of their engineering standards at the time. I might get some second-hand rubbers, mask them up, and apply some rubber adhesive and get hold of a flocking machine and give it a go one day.

A flocked rubber channel. ^^

Last edited by neilbaker86; 20th June 2019 at 23:27..
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 23:22   #22
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I bet if you removed the waist seal as a test it would be ok.

Im sure its that rubbing against the door card. The noises can be very deceptive, and of course we could be speaking about different ones, but since I gave my glass a shove and a yank, the noise has never returned!

Maybe it adjusted the rubber seal, maybe it moved the waist rail a fraction, Ive no idea, but now I have silence I am enjoying it so far.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2019, 23:33   #23
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I bet if you removed the waist seal as a test it would be ok.

Im sure its that rubbing against the door card. The noises can be very deceptive, and of course we could be speaking about different ones, but since I gave my glass a shove and a yank, the noise has never returned!

Maybe it adjusted the rubber seal, maybe it moved the waist rail a fraction, Ive no idea, but now I have silence I am enjoying it so far.

I took them off and drove around without them (and the inner ones at the top of the door cards), the noise was still there. I actually replaced all four with new ones anyway as some of the flock had gone from the glass mating face, but ended up with an issue with the replacement front left piece peeling on its leading edge. Rimmer Brothers refunded me for that one in the end.

neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2019, 01:36   #24
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Oh nightmare!!

Fair enough, I stand corrected, my noise must have been similar but not the same.
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:05   #25
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

WOW! Cleaned the rubbers in alcohol and applied the German rubber restorer and what a difference hardly any noise at all. From now on only water and rubber restorer on the window and door seals
Thanks chaps
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 20:18   #26
asantosb
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
LOL

I had the same issue. used to play a game of just cracking it down by 1mm or something and the noise would go. Actually I think it was being made by the inner waist rail despite sounding like the top, anyway I lost my temper and gave the glass a good push and pull (inside to out, not up and down) when it was about halfway down, noise disappeared and has never come back since.
Hey mate! Just to let you know that I was looking after a solution for this annoying window problem, and your solution has worked perfectly Cheers!

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 CDT Mk1
This vehicle was the 32,640th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,338th 75 CDT Contemporary to be made out of 4,925
This vehicle was the 5,862nd 75 in Zircon Silver Metallic (code: MUM) to be made out of 9,171 Zircon Silver Metallic 75s
asantosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 20:24   #27
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

I was talking to a lad at work who is into BMWs and he mentioned that German rubber restorer straight away.
How often does it need applying?
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 15:33   #28
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

From the BMW forums:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Forums

In my experience, it is the simple and effective solution to the window/door noise that most (early?) X3 owners seemed to encounter.
There may be more than one type of noise, but this is the one that is silenced by lowering the window, even by a fraction from its fully closed position.
Early on, many dealers were apparently trying all sorts of solutions, such as realigning the door, often making matters worse.
BMW even had a new, replacement door seal, covered in a bulletin, which also failed to be the full solution - maybe because of installation shortcomings.
I did not have the problem at all until suddenly during year 3. The dealer used Gummi-Pflege (or an equivalent, SA wasn't able to tell me) and it is still fine after nearly 2 years.
He advised me to think of it as a maintenance item.
Old 29th June 2019, 08:18   #29
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

When i was stripping the door cards etc from my donor car, i noticed a rubber tube like part around the top of the front windows with electrical contacts at the bottom (anti-trap safety device type jobby??) could it be the sound of the window glass pushing on this?? (btw mine creak too when glass gets to the top)
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 18:33   #30
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

If we are all talking about the same sound, Neil is right. I can only conjecture that the rubber channels in the windows very slightly wear over time, and smooth out a little, hence giving off the rattling/fretting sound.

This does not seem to happen on any of the other windows in my car, and all of these have pretty much never really been used in the cars life.

Gummipflege in my experience is quite good, it seems to penetrate the rubber a little and make it a little more "sticky".

Its good to know the noise is enough to pi** off BMW owners enough that dealers were replacing seals, re-aligning doors etc, so thankfully its not just us in this thread being ocd.