Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2021, 17:01   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Rule of thumb guideline (approximation is reasonably close enough) - LED rated wattage x factor 5-6 = filament marked wattage; wattage is a close equivelance to actual lumen output for low power LED's.

That might be a good enough approximation for 'raw' bulbs, but once in a light housing the actual lux output at distance depends as much, if not more on the reflector and lens of the lamp. I recently watched some tests of LED headlights, and it wasn't the highest lumen output lights (or even highest wattage) that put the most lux on a wall 25ft ahead.

fyi: lumen measures total light output from a light source. lux is a measurement of the amount of light over a given area.

So high lumen output often doesn't mean more lux on the road where you want it, that is down to the focusing of the lamp as a whole (bulb, reflector and lens).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 17:51   #22
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post

fyi: lumen measures total light output from a light source. lux is a measurement of the amount of light over a given area.

yes, i remember doing lighting calculations as part of my HNC years back. How to calculate luminous intensity from a light source etc.

Add to that colour rendering in my namesake units of temperature.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 21:20   #23
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

Does Ricksta know the full implications of this new legislation .I would have thought he would have investigated if his previously sold mods were now in fact illegal .
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 08:50   #24
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I'm sure there was something in one of the classic car magazines about fitted LED bulbs in place of filament lamps in classic cars, can't recall now if it was permissible on either E marked or non E-marked lamp units, or the bulbs being E marked.
Without the E mark you can fit anything as they’ve not been type approved but you can only fit what was tested in the E marked lamp. Practical Classics magazine did the article and I’ve still a screenshot somewhere
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 10:02   #25
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantallon View Post
Does Ricksta know the full implications of this new legislation .I would have thought he would have investigated if his previously sold mods were now in fact illegal .
I think the issue is the headlamp unit type. Ricksta does not convert reflector units, only projector units as far as I'm aware.

It sounds to me that fitting anything other than filament bulbs into a reflector type headlamp unit will be a fail.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 10:32   #26
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Interesting read

Last Wednesday my 75 went in for the MOT with LED bulbs fitted to halogen projectors, no rubber caps fitted so he could see them fine.

No comment at all on the bulbs.

Failed on the 2 holes in the sill though .......

Will see what happens next week on the retest.

The ZT has lexus rear lights e approved fitted with standard filament bulbs and LED front indicators / DRLS so will see what happens in May

Oh and the ZT lights were reported to the insurance company who just recorded them with no issue.

Scott
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 10:37   #27
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I think the issue is the headlamp unit type. Ricksta does not convert reflector units, only projector units as far as I'm aware.

It sounds to me that fitting anything other than filament bulbs into a reflector type headlamp unit will be a fail.
That would be my understanding of the issue being HID/LEDs being put into reflector units as they would clearly be designed for the filament lamp and the majority of cars now have clear lenses and the beam pattern is controlled by reflector design - I think this also contributes to far more dazzle. Far more advanced than the old Lucas 7" round lamp.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 16:30   #28
Damian-c15
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
A classic car site that I am a member of have just posted this?

Update to MOT rules from 1st Feb. Until now fitting HID headlight upgrades have been illegal, LEDs have been a grey area. From 1st Feb LEDs cannot be fitted into headlight units that were designed for std halogen! The mot testers now MUST fail if you have done this and it's part of the MOT check!
Thats good then does that mean they will fix all the pot holes so we don't keep blowing our old filament bulbs???

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Damian-c15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2021, 23:09   #29
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

How about those daylight running LED lights. Some of those are extremely bright.

I thought they were supposed to switch off at night automatically though I'm sure I've seen some working all the time.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 09:58   #30
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
How about those daylight running LED lights. Some of those are extremely bright.

I thought they were supposed to switch off at night automatically though I'm sure I've seen some working all the time.---
Factory fitted day time running lights turn off when headlights are turned on, some manufactures also design their cars so that once you apply the hand brake this also turns off the daytime running lights

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote