Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th January 2021, 10:12   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I’d say if the lenses have the E mark then you should be ok, unless of course there is something blatantly obvious with the light output.
Old 14th January 2021, 10:55   #12
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

So the VOSA data will now read
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
"Headlamp units' to me means the whole binnacle/housing so it's open to interpretation whether any LED lamp within the housing (like a 2W LED sidelight = say 10-12W filament bulb) is intended to be treated as the same animal as say a 20W LED main beam lamp (= 100-120W filament bulb - were one to exist!)
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 11:11   #13
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I’d say if the lenses have the E mark then you should be ok, unless of course there is something blatantly obvious with the light output.
I'm sure there was something in one of the classic car magazines about fitted LED bulbs in place of filament lamps in classic cars, can't recall now if it was permissible on either E marked or non E-marked lamp units, or the bulbs being E marked.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 12:17   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Don't get me started on the latest crop of SUV style cars with arc lamps at eye level

Brian
Once-upon-a-time there used to be a maximum height for headlights but if one looks at a series 1 Range Rover then to-day's SUV's are really no different. I guess the vehicles are still within the legal!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2021, 16:50   #15
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

That's made my mind up about a halo conversion. Saves me a few quid!
Old 15th January 2021, 05:15   #16
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Thanks Mick,
So, does that include led sidelights and halo rings?
I think the operative word is "bulb"

If something is not removable, can it be classified as a "bulb" ?

I would think that Halo rings are not bulbs.

H4s and H7s are bulbs, and therefore LED and HID versions are a straightforward failure.

Ditto LED sidelight bulbs.

But if LEDs were not fitted as bulbs but as an addition and not a "conversion", ie leave the original H7/H4 halogen .....

Last edited by MarkS; 15th January 2021 at 05:27..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 06:53   #17
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Here is a thought, if as in our cars you have HID dipped and you replace the main beam with an LED I wonder if that is aloud or even replace the existing HID with an LED?

I will have a talk to my MOT tester and ask his view.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 10:50   #18
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Here is a thought, if as in our cars you have HID dipped and you replace the main beam with an LED I wonder if that is aloud or even replace the existing HID with an LED?

I will have a talk to my MOT tester and ask his view.

Under these new rules (if adhered to) what you suggest would fail MOT. When it comes to the sidelight bulbs I expecting a lot of variance in interpretation.

I think you are more likely to get away with putting an LED in a projector headlight (i.e. the dip position) than in the hi-beam position which is a reflector. The bulb isn't visible in a projector and if the rear of the lamp screws on I don't think a tester can remove it to check although the startup time might be a giveaway.

Rather annoyingly they've also updated the Motorcycle MOT rules to specifically bar both HID and LED conversions of Halogen lamps - Time to fit a full led daymaker to the old steed as the bi-xenon HID will now be classed a failure. (not that it's needed to see where I'm going.... until blinded by an led/hid equipped oncoming vehicle, then it very much is needed).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 15th January 2021 at 10:53..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 11:36   #19
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I think the operative word is "bulb"

If something is not removable, can it be classified as a "bulb" ?

I would think that Halo rings are not bulbs.

H4s and H7s are bulbs, and therefore LED and HID versions are a straightforward failure.

Ditto LED sidelight bulbs.

But if LEDs were not fitted as bulbs but as an addition and not a "conversion", ie leave the original H7/H4 halogen .....
I think LED bulbs do have to be E marked, but I suspect there is less of an issue with these being side lights or brake lights, more aimed (pardon the pun) at headlights which do have potential to cause serious hazard to other road users through dazzle etc.

I don't know what the regs are on power for HID/LED lamps and how these are comparable to filament lamps, for which road legal head lamps are 55W dip 60W main? The actual power though doesn't have any relationship to light output in terms of lumens.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 12:56   #20
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I think LED bulbs do have to be E marked, but I suspect there is less of an issue with these being side lights or brake lights, more aimed (pardon the pun) at headlights which do have potential to cause serious hazard to other road users through dazzle etc.

I don't know what the regs are on power for HID/LED lamps and how these are comparable to filament lamps, for which road legal head lamps are 55W dip 60W main? The actual power though doesn't have any relationship to light output in terms of lumens.
Rule of thumb guideline (approximation is reasonably close enough) - LED rated wattage x factor 5-6 = filament marked wattage; wattage is a close equivelance to actual lumen output for low power LED's.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote