Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd January 2021, 11:36   #1
MisterPip

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Fuel Filter pipe issue

Hi all!

Just bought a 2003 75 Tourer (with LPG) a month ago, as a non-starter, but knowing that it hadn't moved since the MOT and it was probably just stale fuel.

After following best advice on how to drain the tank, I noticed the seal around the fuel filter was pretty shoddy, so I got hold of one from Rimmer Bros but when I pulled the filter out I noticed the clear pipe was broken (picture below)! Is this going to cause great issues? My guess is this is either just a feeder pipe from inside the tank, or it's to send fuel to the other side of the saddle... Can I just pull off the bit that's left and refit the remaining pipe like I would with a rubber one? Haynes doesn't really go in to what the specific pipes are and I'm not that experienced with fuel systems.

Plus, as it's LPG, I'm not particularly dependent on the petrol - it currently takes over a year to go through a full tank in my Astra as it's only used for starting.

My hope is, once this is done and I've got the seals right again to ensure pressure, it should start with no problems. I'm turning over and the pump is definitely working, so I don't think there's anything else to be concerned about.

Cheers all!

Pip

MisterPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:05   #2
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Yes, just refit the pipe, remove the remnants of the broken pipe tho, I would secure the pipe with a stainless clamp, just don't overtighten it, then all should be well.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:33   #3
MisterPip

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Yes, just refit the pipe, remove the remnants of the broken pipe tho, I would secure the pipe with a stainless clamp, just don't overtighten it, then all should be well.
Thanks Ched!

Do you know what the pipe does? We fished it out today and it was pretty short with the other end attached to nothing. Looks like it only puts back into the same side as the filter - or is it sucking fuel up?
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:50   #4
Ched

Not offhand, I'll take a look at some pics I have and get back to you.
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:00   #5
Ched

Take a look at post 26 on my thread, theres a pic of 2 side by side, one is damaged, the other what it should look like.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=304434
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:39   #6
MisterPip

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Take a look at post 26 on my thread, theres a pic of 2 side by side, one is damaged, the other what it should look like.
Ah okay, cheers! So it looks like mine has possibly broken in two places then... it seems it’s meant to stick onto the blue plastic thing which feeds either too or from the return system.

Fingers crossed with enough fuel in the tank it’ll be okay for now; as long as the pressure is fine it should probably still do the job. I can’t seem to get hold of that connecting pipe collection without buying the whole filter casing - and I’m not sure I need to spend £250 😖
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:39   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPip View Post
Just bought a 2003 75 Tourer (with LPG) a month ago, as a non-starter, but knowing that it hadn't moved since the MOT and it was probably just stale fuel.
That 'clip' on the filter housing looks very odd. I'd suggest taking a look at that as well. Here's how the OEM orange clip is fitted.

Archived photos

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:57   #8
MisterPip

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That 'clip' on the filter housing looks very odd. I'd suggest taking a look at that as well.

TC
Cheers TC! I did check it out when I took the filter out because I’d seen loads about the orange clip on the forum already 🙂
From what I’ve discovered the clips are now white, and it’s holding together fine so I’m not going to question it 😂
Old 6th January 2021, 15:18   #9
MisterPip

Rover 75 Tourer

Okie dokie!

After replacing the pipes and making sure it's all linked up again, it seems that everything is fine... but fuel isn't getting to the rail.

It's been suggested that one of the pipes between the sender and the engine could be blocked (is there a bit of filtering gauze in there?), or it could be the injectors blocked due to the old fuel I syphoned out.

Any thoughts? I can't get it up on a ramp so it's a garage job at this point...

Cheers!

Pip
Old 6th January 2021, 15:39   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You can easily test to see if the delivery pipe is clear, just blow through it with both ends disconnected.

Very unlikely to be an injector issue, I have fired up cars that have been sat over 5yrs and the injectors have always been fine.