Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2020, 22:35   #1
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default zt 190 over heat? help please

Sounds like too many start struggle with over heat , so story is simple
full referb of engine hew original thermostat, easy to say all new was all good till.
first fail camshaft oil cap close to rads,about 500 miles after , then second one after less then hundred miles_ no prob get new put on happy days ,over the moon ! till one day come to home and car looks like on fire , no antifreeze steam and all engine bay in antifreeze , so 1 fan work ,2 new thermostat , 3 sistem was done true pressure fill and also true full bleed from forum guide ( mean done both) put new put cup on antifreeze tank still same temperature not rise than 100 wile driving ( 100 was about 10 sec)
??? faulty thermo???
in the car heat full on all good . No idea how to put better , any questions will more than happy to answer at least may help to others.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:51   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZ View Post
...still same temperature not rise than 100 wile driving ( 100 was about 10 sec)
??? faulty thermo???
Hello Boriss,

I hope that this helps. You may like to use Google translate.

Your ZT 190 should run at about 92 - 95 degrees when moving. This will rise to 100 degrees when stationary; this is normal. The fan should then start and reduce the temperature to 96.

Has anybody put K-seal into your engine at any time?

Simon
Old 9th December 2020, 10:32   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

My V6 with a history of overheating before I got it once did the same, ejected lots of coolant about a month after I thought everything was fine. Re-filled and all good which was about two years ago. I can only guess that there was still an air pocket which needed to be burped.

I’d be more concerned over the cam caps blowing. They’re blowing because the venting system is blocked, either the internal gauze filters or pin hole breather vents are blocked. If it’s happened twice and you’ve not done anything to fix the underlying cause then it’s only a question of time before it happens again and you might not be so lucky. My daughter’s V6 cam cap blew contaminating the primary belt, lost compression and the car was scrapped.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 11:19   #4
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
I’d be more concerned over the cam caps blowing. They’re blowing because the venting system is blocked, either the internal gauze filters or pin hole breather vents are blocked.
Hi Mike,

Boriss says that the camshaft end caps dropped out following a "full refurb. of engine". I'd put my money on improper fitting. I say this because I've had the blocked pinhole in the cam covers and it didn't adversely affect the end caps.

Simon
Old 9th December 2020, 15:10   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Mike,

Boriss says that the camshaft end caps dropped out following a "full refurb. of engine". I'd put my money on improper fitting. I say this because I've had the blocked pinhole in the cam covers and it didn't adversely affect the end caps.

Simon
Simon,

Confusing text but that's not how I understood it as he said 500 miles after and then the 2nd one after less than a 100 miles.

Cam caps blowing are quite a problem here, especially when it's very cold (-20c)
the mechanic at the local dealership even made special brackets to keep them in place. However my daughter's Tourer (rest in peace) suffered failure during the summer, since that I've learnt the hard way that preventive maintenance is better than scrapping.

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 17:23   #6
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Boriss,

I hope that this helps. You may like to use Google translate.

Your ZT 190 should run at about 92 - 95 degrees when moving. This will rise to 100 degrees when stationary; this is normal. The fan should then start and reduce the temperature to 96.

Has anybody put K-seal into your engine at any time?

Simon
Hi , Simon .
I getting to 99 on moving car and I checked today it is bottom radiator pipe is cold.
So thermostat it is .
about K-seal , no never use that and I know exactly what do you mean looks like I just was a bit unlucky with Rimmers stock .
about cam caps same as I fit new lot and no problem at all .
I hope get done this Saturday thermostat and will see what happens.Thanks again.
Old 9th December 2020, 19:04   #7
SD1too

Quote:
... I checked today it is bottom radiator pipe is cold.
So thermostat it is .

Unless the oil cooler is blocked with K-seal. Let us know how you get on please Boriss.

Simon
Old 13th December 2020, 12:51   #8
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Hello , Saturday is was a day, all the first of huge thanks to DMGRS for fast shipping and outstanding service even they forgotten ship temperature sensor ( lucky I was order one before from them)and that sweets just put smile on your face )). Second how ever I struggle with the car, till i not sure from here( forum) I not give my car to any one else including garage where my car was done before.Now I will be doing my self.
I limited on time at work place ( say Saturday I have just 4 hours ) or working day I do have just a hour .So Saturday I change thermo and was a bit shock why you put silicon on new parts? Was you change them? I not sure.For that amount of money what I pay with engine out of the car they not even clean him I now scare to think what comes up next.
Anyway all done and car now happier , next plan is to change brushes in the fan , thanks to I think it was Simon old post about brushes make company. Still exist they even make proper ad on the website . Brushes arrive.
Old 13th December 2020, 19:45   #9
SD1too

Quote:
... next plan is to change brushes in the fan , thanks to I think it was Simon old post about brushes make company. Still exist they even make proper ad on the website . Brushes arrive.
Thanks Boriss. The company is Engineering Carbon Products Ltd. (ECP). Their product is custom made and high quality. Well done for repairing your existing motor!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 2nd January 2021 at 15:57.. Reason: Correcting company name
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 15:42   #10
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Now new trouble Fan not working.

Hello again and Happy New Year.
Fan not working when I do demist test ,but fan work him self when I put 12v on him separate . Where to go what to look? I check plugs all nice and clean .What next ? OH forget I do not have resistor in my little relay box near the fan I have 3 relay. I check all fuses all good.
Any ideas thank you.