Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2021, 18:00   #1
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Autobox annoyance

Not really a technical problem so decided to post here. On the slightest of inclines, my 2001 2.5L R75 tourer stubbornly refuses to get past 3rd gear until I reach 30MPH+ when it changes up. No problems when accelerating normally on the level (4th at about 25 MPH). It's just becoming very sensitive to inclines for some reason and I wonder if anything can be done about it. It was much better behaved earlier in my ownership. The car's going in for its annual service/MoT soon so what should I check? Fluid level maybe? There is a level sensor I believe; could that be faulty? Thanks
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 18:06   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It could be related to engine performance as the gearbox adapts to various driving styles and engine loads (are your VIS motors working properly?). It may even need a reset of the autobox electronics. If you disconnect the battery lead for a short while it will reset your electronics (don't forget though that you will lose all your radio settings, so will need the code).
Old 20th January 2021, 19:26   #3
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It could be related to engine performance as the gearbox adapts to various driving styles and engine loads (are your VIS motors working properly?). It may even need a reset of the autobox electronics. If you disconnect the battery lead for a short while it will reset your electronics (don't forget though that you will lose all your radio settings, so will need the code).
Could be VIZ related although Stocktake changed them both in the summer of 2019. Must ask him again for replacements/spares. If it weren’t for the lockdown, I’d take the car round to him to test the motors. He’s literally just down the road from me.
Old 20th January 2021, 21:11   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Pull fuse 4 in the underbonnet fusebox, this will reset the Jatco ECU without losing your radio code.
Old 20th January 2021, 22:37   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
If it weren’t for the lockdown, I’d take the car round to him to test the motors. He’s literally just down the road from me.
How handy are you with a screwdriver David? When you go down the road for your permitted exercise take them with you and drop them off.

The other engine problem which causes poor autobox response is the cam cover breather pinhole blocked with carbon.

Simon
Old 21st January 2021, 08:29   #6
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Pull fuse 4 in the underbonnet fusebox, this will reset the Jatco ECU without losing your radio code.
Original radio’s been replaced so the code issue won’t arise, but it’s better than disconnecting the battery. Thanks!
Old 27th January 2021, 15:53   #7
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Think you may have nailed it. I seem to have a faulty vis motor (actuator 2; not sure which one that is though). On scanning, it comes up with a P1472 error (short to ground/sporadic error). Replaced both in mid 2019! The Jatco reported no errors.

Quote:
Old 27th January 2021, 15:59   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

They were replaced with standard spec rebuilt nothing special though with all the weaknesses built in though
P1472 is the power VIS IIRC

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 27th January 2021 at 16:02..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 16:37   #9
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Yes I was aware they were standard spec and shouldn't be at all surprised by malfunction. Looking forward to fitting your more robust rebuilds in due course though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
They were replaced with standard spec rebuilt nothing special though with all the weaknesses built in though
P1472 is the power VIS IIRC
Old 27th January 2021, 18:22   #10
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I thought that my car was an old man's car until I replaced the VIS power motor! Vroom!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk