Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th January 2021, 10:45   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Harman Kardon Amplifier Problems

I have the Highline and HK system in my 180 SE, it is also fitted with the CD Widescreen, BM54 and the MK4 nav drive.

I've noticed on occasion that the channels can crackle. So far this has mainly been on the left side, more the rear but also sometimes the front.
The issues can be light crackling like static or can be very loud POPPING which can be quite a shock while driving. The other night, I had to go out to the car at around 11pm as the speakers were crackling and popping like crazy. The car had been locked for hours so I would have assumed everything was powered down.

Now I know these issues are most common on the Becker BM24 and 54 units, so I removed the BM54 and also once it had powered down, removed the MK4 also. There was a bit of moisture behind the liner and I assumed that was the problem. But when I went back out with these items removed the crackling and popping was still there, despite not having a Highline amp fitted. The crackling and popping only stopped when I removed the Harman Kardon amp.

Soooo, the HK amp had water dripping from itand after removing the board itself there is a little corrosion around certain points.

Anyone able to confirm if this has happened before with HK amps?
Anyone repair them?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 13:37   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Al,

To begin with I'd suggest putting the HK power amplifier in the airing cupboard for 24 hours to dry out then, if possible, clean off the corrosion you've noticed. I think you stand a good chance of that working.

Simon
Old 20th January 2021, 19:01   #3
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Al,

To begin with I'd suggest putting the HK power amplifier in the airing cupboard for 24 hours to dry out then, if possible, clean off the corrosion you've noticed. I think you stand a good chance of that working.

Simon
It’s well and truly dry now. Aside from the few small spots of corrosion the board is pretty darn clean.
I’ve secured the sunroof drains with ptfe and a jubilee. Someone went through the effort of fitting the nylon straight connectors but they weren’t secured.
As I’ve stripped the boot out I’m going to leave it until this rain has passed so I can monitor any leaks.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote