Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th April 2011, 21:23   #1
autopia

2003 MG ZT-T CDTi (with 135 sticker), 2007 Land Rover Defender, 1998 Porsche Carrera and a 1971 MGB

Default Powerflex PFF63-609 - Lower engine mount

I've just replaced the large bush on my lower engine mount and thought I'd summarise the process and results.

The large rubber bush had gone, it had split completely on one side and was being held by a very small sliver of rubber although there was none of the juddering that other owners have experienced.

In my workshop, I put the car on the four post ramp and after removing the undertray, placed the jacking beam underneath the sump to provide a little support.

The mount is held by two bolts which screw into two captive nuts, I think the bolt heads are 22mm, they will come out easily.

Once the mount is removed, the damaged bush needs to be cut out, I did this by holding the mount in a vice and using a hacksaw gently cutting through the rubber and thin aluminium housing containing the bush, be careful not to cut into the mount itself, but the aluminium housing ring needs to be completely removed as the new Powerflex bush is shaped to fit directly into the mount.

Once there is a cut in the housing ring, I used a hammer and cold chisel to push the ring into the centre, as it collapsed inwards, the ring came away from the mount and I was able to tap it out from one side.

The new bush comes with a stainless steel tube through which the bolt will go, this needs to be removed temporarily while the bush is fitted which is only possible using the copperslip provided by Powerflex.

I managed it by holding the mount in the vice again, forcing the lower half of the bush into the mount then using a blunt flat screwdriver to gently ease the rest of the lip through, it is important to be careful so as not to damage the bush.

Once fitted, the stainless steel tube can be pushed back in and the mount offered up, I found the engine had moved forward so the mount holes were not even close, but the engine can be pushed backwards by hand and an assistant can get the bolts in place.

How does it feel in place? Well, the vibration through the monocoque has increased, probably due to the stiffness of the bush, but as the old one needed replacing, it's a small price to pay for having the engine secured.

It could possibly be improved by drilling holes in the bush but I think I'll live with it for now, at £23.55, it's a considerable saving on a replacement mount, if you can find one that is.

best regards
Old 18th April 2011, 00:32   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Quote:
autopia: How does it feel in place? Well, the vibration through the monocoque has increased, probably due to the stiffness of the bush, but as the old one needed replacing it's a small price to pay for having the engine secured.
Interesting feedback which confirms the reservations expressed by some about vibration increase in the use of this option on diesels in particular. Not sure if Powerflex recommend this option for diesels but well done for trying it and I suspect that it is still a great improvement on a failed engine mount.

Quote:
I'll live with it for now, at £23.55, it's a considerable saving on a replacement mount, if you can find one that is.
Does that price include VAT and PP? Seems a good price if so from what I have seen, where did you get it from?
WillyHeckaslike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 11:12   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Willy have just posted my old mount back to you so if you are interested in having a play let us know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 12:46   #4
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Quote:
mikeseignot: Willy have just posted my old mount back to you so if you are interested in having a play let us know how it goes. Thanks again, Mike.
Will try to fit the Peugeot bush into it which I mentioned on another thread some months ago Click Will post the outcome on that thread.
WillyHeckaslike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 20:54   #5
autopia

2003 MG ZT-T CDTi (with 135 sticker), 2007 Land Rover Defender, 1998 Porsche Carrera and a 1971 MGB

Price was including P&P and VAT, found on ebay, latest listing can be found at; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFLEX-BUSH...item3f091ae8ce

Thanks for the feedback.

regards
Old 18th April 2011, 21:46   #6
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Did the same to my ZT the other week. When hacksaw'ing the middle bit out I did 2 cut close together to allow more flex then smashing it out. I had the joy of lowering the whole manifold due to it being a custom job (only took an extra hour or so).

At first I didn't feel any vibrations but with more driving I have noticed a little and that’s mostly in the low revs. But with a full SS manifold & exhaust I can't really benchmark it. I replaced a 6 month old mount with the powerflex and noticed only a small increase in vibration. I'm definitely keeping the powerflex but perhaps not everybody's choice.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote