Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th October 2019, 13:06   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Rear suspension - arm geometry

I'm trying to find out the angles of the upper and lower suspension arms when the car is on level ground and sat on its wheels. The reason being I want to avoid the notorious spinning captive nut problem by pre-tightening the arm-to-subframe bolts before I refit the whole lot onto the car (it's a 75 saloon btw). Trying to torque up the bolts with everything on the car is impossible if one or both of the captive nuts starts spinning.

Does anyone know what the angles are?

Here's a quick diagram. The green & red lines represent the upper & lower arms - I need to know the correct angle for both.

The photo above shows the subframe as viewed from the front of the car but it's easier to look at it from the rear when it's on the car.

Like this ... (the old subframe viewed from the rear) (it's being lowered to the ground on threaded rods):

Last edited by Blink; 25th October 2019 at 13:13..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 14:45   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Both pairs of arms should still be able to move once the bolts are tightened correctly, that's what they are designed to do

So it's not necessary to put them at a set angle.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 15:41   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Both pairs of arms should still be able to move once the bolts are tightened correctly, that's what they are designed to do

Russ
I thought that too.
In fact they have to move as the wheel goes up and down the arms have to rotate around the inner and outer bolts.

if the car sits on ramps and axle stand so it level that will give clearance to got to bolts and have the cars weight on the wheels

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 15:42   #4
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post

Russ
Good point Russ!! Why didn't I think of that .

I'll torque all 4 bolts up off the car and then fit subframe & arms in one go (touch wood).

Not sure about the springs though - will the arms be movable enough to squeeze the springs in and get the bottom isolators lined up correctly with the drain holes? (a relevant thread here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
....... if the car sits on ramps and axle stand so it level that will give clearance to got to bolts and have the cars weight on the wheels

macafee2
The car is up on blocks. The front wheels are still on but they're sitting on one layer of sleepers. The back end is supported by three layers of sleepers under the rear sill jacking points.

Last edited by Blink; 25th October 2019 at 15:47..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 16:05   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

When it is all together, have the car with the wheels off the ground supported at the sill jacking points. Then, jack below the hubs, just and only just at the point where the weight of the car begins to lift off the sill supports, then torque up the joints. Either that, or get it onto a four post lift.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 16:13   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Good point Russ!! Why didn't I think of that .

I'll torque all 4 bolts up off the car and then fit subframe & arms in one go (touch wood).

Not sure about the springs though - will the arms be movable enough to squeeze the springs in and get the bottom isolators lined up correctly with the drain holes? (a relevant thread here)

The car is up on blocks. The front wheels are still on but they're sitting on one layer of sleepers. The back end is supported by three layers of sleepers under the rear sill jacking points.
damn, my post is not quite right but I knew what I meant, sorry. Get the rear wheels on "ramps" and axle stands under front jacking points or ramps under front wheels. This way the rear weight will be on the wheels

macafee2
Old 26th October 2019, 07:10   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

been thinking about this.
do the bushes revolve around the bolt or the rubbers "revolve" around/inside/outside the bushes?
If the latter then it would be better to tighten the bolts with the car sitting on 4 wheels.

macafee2
Old 26th October 2019, 08:12   #8
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

The movement is in the rubber bush, the inner tube should not move on the bolt, it would soon wear away & fail if it did. Usual instructions is to tighten the bolts with the bushes in the neutral position , load on wheels with vehicle at kerbside weight. .
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 10:07   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverP480 View Post
The movement is in the rubber bush, the inner tube should not move on the bolt, it would soon wear away & fail if it did. Usual instructions is to tighten the bolts with the bushes in the neutral position , load on wheels with vehicle at kerbside weight. .
I'll go loosen mine and re tighten once wheels are on and the car is sitting on them.

I need to get a life, was thinking about this during the night. I knew there had to be some rotation and upon reflection was not convinced I had been right in my first post

macafee2