Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2018, 20:56   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Supporting the hub

When I took my near side hum off the strut I really had no idea how heavy it was and had the devils own job supporting it.

Now doing the off side I decided I wanted something better.

A capitol H made from Dexion with two large holes for wheel bolts to go through and into the disc was my solution. At the bottom of the two uprights I bolted more Dexion going from off side towards near side in the hope of giving some stability. I asked the wife to come out as I removed the hub from strut. Just in case I ran into a problem which I did. The H took the weight but the weight is a bit lop sided and I was worried the H would still fall over with the hub attached. Another bit of Dexion with a large hole took the strut to hub pinch bolt, the bottom of this Dexion resting on the floor. I then bolted this upright to the Dexion going from off side to near side. The hub is now sitting as it would when on the strut just some 4 inches lower. String around the top of the crud guard tied to the Dexion stops the hub trying to spin as the calliper forces the front of the disc down. Mmm thinking about it, I wonder if the Dexion using the strut pinch bolt would stop it spinning.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Brake hose and sensor cables are not tight.

must get some 8mm bolts, fed up scratching around for bolts to hold Dexion together.

just waiting for my new spring compressors to turn up

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 09:18   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
When I took my near side hum off the strut I really had no idea how heavy it was and had the devils own job supporting it.

Now doing the off side I decided I wanted something better.

A capitol H made from Dexion with two large holes for wheel bolts to go through and into the disc was my solution. At the bottom of the two uprights I bolted more Dexion going from off side towards near side in the hope of giving some stability. I asked the wife to come out as I removed the hub from strut. Just in case I ran into a problem which I did. The H took the weight but the weight is a bit lop sided and I was worried the H would still fall over with the hub attached. Another bit of Dexion with a large hole took the strut to hub pinch bolt, the bottom of this Dexion resting on the floor. I then bolted this upright to the Dexion going from off side to near side. The hub is now sitting as it would when on the strut just some 4 inches lower. String around the top of the crud guard tied to the Dexion stops the hub trying to spin as the calliper forces the front of the disc down. Mmm thinking about it, I wonder if the Dexion using the strut pinch bolt would stop it spinning.https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/n...ply&p=2659442#

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Brake hose and sensor cables are not tight.

must get some 8mm bolts, fed up scratching around for bolts to hold Dexion together.

just waiting for my new spring compressors to turn up

macafee2

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 10:03   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post

I'll try to get some later, not a very professional set up but it works

macafee2
Old 14th August 2018, 13:13   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

A couple of pictures

macafee2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg support 1.jpg (139.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg support 2.jpg (136.7 KB, 26 views)