Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th November 2009, 17:04   #11
Ratdogfink
Loves to post

All the exhaust valves were pitted so I changed them all.
Ratdogfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 18:52   #12
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Hi,
A number of years ago I know of a case where the valve stem oil seal failed due to what looked like the bad fitting of the seal at the top of the stem. This in turn allowed excessive oil to travel down the valve stem with the result that it burn-out the exhaust valve face. Or at any rate it was thought to be the cause.
Just a thought that this could be a possibility in your case.
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:25   #13
Gary
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Club - Mitsubishi GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
Hi,
A number of years ago I know of a case where the valve stem oil seal failed due to what looked like the bad fitting of the seal at the top of the stem. This in turn allowed excessive oil to travel down the valve stem with the result that it burn-out the exhaust valve face. Or at any rate it was thought to be the cause.
Just a thought that this could be a possibility in your case.
Regards,
Telfer.
I agree with the above…..Pitting is often caused by the stem seals leaking and oil running down the valve, then burning and "sticking" to the exhaust valve.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 22:25   #14
Ratdogfink
Loves to post

I do like that idea. Certainly both burnt exhaust valves are black around the valve seat and the plug came out wet with oil. The piston crown was reasonably clean but wet looking, the others dry.
The other cylinders seemed to be burning lean and I put this down to correction by ECU from the lambda sensor being flooded with un burnt fuel at the wrong time.
I can't seem to find a real reason why it did it so the valve seal idea seems pretty good. No smoke out of exhaust but then it's only one cylinder.

Thanks for the help on this one. I'm up to 85 miles since the head went back on and the plugs come out for a check tomorrow.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:29   #15
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

How much oil did it use prior to the repair?
Old 18th November 2009, 23:03   #16
Ratdogfink
Loves to post

A bit, not that much. Half a dip stick every few months. Didn't really worry as it just seemed normal.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:58   #17
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdogfink View Post
I do like that idea. Certainly both burnt exhaust valves are black around the valve seat and the plug came out wet with oil. The piston crown was reasonably clean but wet looking, the others dry.
The other cylinders seemed to be burning lean and I put this down to correction by ECU from the lambda sensor being flooded with un burnt fuel at the wrong time.
I can't seem to find a real reason why it did it so the valve seal idea seems pretty good. No smoke out of exhaust but then it's only one cylinder.

Thanks for the help on this one. I'm up to 85 miles since the head went back on and the plugs come out for a check tomorrow.
Hi,
The case I mentioned was on a colleagues 1.8 75. He thought it had suffered a head gasket failure but it turned out to be burnt out exhaust valves on one cylinder. Unfortunately I did not see the valves or the extent of the damage to them. As far as I know he had no further problems with the engine following the repair.
Hope all goes well from now on with your engine repair, keeping fingers crossed.
Regards,
Telfer.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 19th November 2009 at 12:02..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote