Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th November 2018, 15:22   #11
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

Default Hummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
Be sure to let us know which 15-20 year old car you get that's self-healing
An Toyota.
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 16:01   #12
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo1980 View Post
I no I fly off the handle at times but after watching and helping someone take rear arms and bush. Off etc and the new�� replacement need modded etc I just think sometimes more effort then what car is worth at time

It all good for most people on this site you lot can fix cars I can't I can fire an SA80. But can't fix an car
This is also my frustration. Cos I hate asking for help hate it and it just seems everything comes at once

Think it's an time out time and chill maybe come across harsh at times I do apologize for this like things to work lol that's all
You are not alone, I too have trouble fixing cars but I have a good circle of friends, whom I met through this forum, to help me out.

Chilling out is good.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 16:03   #13
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Quote:
I no I fly off the handle at times but after watching and helping someone take rear arms and bush. Off etc and the new�� replacement need modded etc I just think sometimes more effort then what car is worth at time

It all good for most people on this site you lot can fix cars I can't I can fire an SA80. But can't fix an car
This is also my frustration. Cos I hate asking for help hate it and it just seems everything comes at once

Think it's an time out time and chill maybe come across harsh at times I do apologize for this like things to work lol that's all
Yep, It's a bummer when you have car breakdowns, I can't manage either at 75 yrs. like you I could field strip a Sterling GM in Aden in 1963, but that's no good to me either. now Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 16:29   #14
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Hi I just got in and my car is jittering in reverse has anyone had this problem in an auto car

drives mint in 1 2 and 3 and D Just Reverse is jittering bad
Hope you get it sorted Graham.
Some comments haven't been very helpful!
Regards David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 20:54   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
An Toyota.
Nope! My Rav4 had far more issues than my Rover, which in the last two years stands at . NONE

I guess some have no problems , and some have loads.

I am sure you will get it sorted and love it again.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 22:25   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75c View Post
Be sure to let us know which 15-20 year old car you get that's self-healing
Non are, but there are some that are a damned sight more reliable than these old crocs.

As to Graham's car, it is going to be either a simple matter of a knackered driveshaft, or the gearbox has bought the farm.

Either way it was making some terminal sounding noises when I popped down to have a look.

The fact it was pitch black, on a hill, I have a bad back, and didn't have much in the way of tools at my disposal, curtailed a more in depth inspection.

If it turns out to be a fubar mongbox, I'll take the one out of my duotone, fit it to Graham's ZT, then scrap the duotone.

This at least will save me the bother of advertising it, and I can remove the recently fitted upper rear arms to go onto my ZT and bin the new Xpart Indian arms I've fannyed around with for days to make them somewhere near enough to fit.

Make no mistake, these cars are at the end of their useful lives in most cases, and certainly cannot be relied upon as a daily driver.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 23:03   #17
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

17,000 miles so far since last December. After some early teething troubles (badly fitted ITP and needed a new MAF sensor), a new set of tyres (badly aligned wheels), it recently passed its MoT for £200. Total spend for purchase, maintenance, repairs and new MoT - around £1500. Long may I continue to enjoy such inexpensive luxury. If my car breaks down on my way to work, I don't get paid. So that is an indication of the faith I now place in this car. I'd be disappointed if something expensive went wrong tomorrow, but I'd probably get it fixed and carry on. Perhaps I've just been lucky...so far...!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2018, 23:27   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
17,000 miles so far since last December. After some early teething troubles (badly fitted ITP and needed a new MAF sensor), a new set of tyres (badly aligned wheels), it recently passed its MoT for £200. Total spend for purchase, maintenance, repairs and new MoT - around £1500. Long may I continue to enjoy such inexpensive luxury. If my car breaks down on my way to work, I don't get paid. So that is an indication of the faith I now place in this car. I'd be disappointed if something expensive went wrong tomorrow, but I'd probably get it fixed and carry on. Perhaps I've just been lucky...so far...!
Yes you have been lucky Andrew, so far in the last week, it has been

a new three part clutch (£190)

four new brake pipes (£10)

Litre of DOT4 (£6)

Two Litres of MTF94 (£18)

two gear change cables (£205)

one front drop link (£19.50)

two rear drop links (£30)

two upper rear arms (£240)

four M12 flange bolts + stiffnuts (£5)

Two rose joint bushes (£19)

one brake backplate (£33)

one strut top bearing (£15)

a pair of TRW handbrake shoes (£20)

a pair of unipart rear discs and pads (£35)

two bleed nipples (£3.80)

a R50 mini handbrake cable (£10)

Four budget tyres (£170)

So not counting any consumables, or the fact I've tied up my workshop for over a week while I waited for parts, that is a spend in excess of £1000 even factoring in for a zero cost in labour.

Can you see why I'm beginning to dislike having to care for four of my own, excluding my wife and father's cars?

They all have the same things failing at the same time, and the lack of quality parts to repair or replace these components is very disheartening

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 07:15   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Graham, your best option is to buy something nearly new,that has a warranty. That way any faults will be sorted by the garage, most have decent finance options . Get your ZT sorted , keep it for the shows and use it as a summer car, as what you get for it pc will be scrap value. I speak from experience
Old 15th November 2018, 10:21   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
If it turns out to be a fubar mongbox, I'll take the one out of my duotone, fit it to Graham's ZT, then scrap the duotone.

This at least will save me the bother of advertising it, and I can remove the recently fitted upper rear arms to go onto my ZT and bin the new Xpart Indian arms I've fannyed around with for days to make them somewhere near enough to fit.
Save yourself the bother of fitting the slushbox Bri - why not swap Graham's car for the Duotone and scrap his one?

Whilst I'm not usually a fan of modern Duotones, your one does look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Make no mistake, these cars are at the end of their useful lives in most cases, and certainly cannot be relied upon as a daily driver.

Brian
Full speed ahead and trust in the Lord has long been my motto.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote