Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2008, 07:41   #1
Fille
Loves to post

SOLD - Rover 75 Tourer 2,0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Default Strange new noise

When i turn on the ignition on my car I have lately noticed a new noise. It comes either from the engine compartment or the heater assembly. It sounds as if a flap is closed and then opened again. A bit like the headlight alignment that goeas up and down, but this is louder and closer to the passenger compartment.
... Are the VIS motors tested on every startup? and if they suddenly are noisier than before I suppose it can mean no good?
Old 11th December 2008, 19:08   #2
Fille
Loves to post

It's a bit like thump-thump a split second after ignition is turned on. Any ideas, anyone?
Old 11th December 2008, 19:14   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Not going to be VIS motors, possibly heater flaps?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:15   #4
Simon
Banned

-

The air recirculation vent automatically opens when the ignition is turned on and then closes when you turn the ignition off. It is quite audible on my car but others have reported not really hearing it at all. Could it be this that you are hearing?

NB: The operation of the auto opening/closing is dependent on the external and internal cabin temperatures but it gets complicated so I wont go into detail unless asked
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2008, 19:19   #5
Fille
Loves to post

That sounds possible, although i did try the recirculation button a couple of times to see (hear) if it would emit any noise but I could'nt hear anything then... Will investigate further on sunday when I have the car indoors (to try to solve my traction control problem ;-))
Old 11th December 2008, 19:20   #6
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The air recirculation vent automatically opens when the ignition is turned on and then closes when you turn the ignition off. It is quite audible on my car but others have reported not really hearing it at all. Could it be this that you are hearing?

NB: The operation of the auto opening/closing is dependent on the external and internal cabin temperatures but it gets complicated so I wont go into detail unless asked
Spot on there Simon...this noise (Flump!) is the flap that you can see in the heater system when you change the pollen filter, as you turn on the ignition it repositions...now a word of Caution....if you used one of those air conditioning airosoles (bombs) they make the flap sticky which makes the noise much loader as the flap suddenly comes unstuck and wacks open.

I cleaned the flap on mine to stop this happeneing...it started after using a perfumed airconditioning bomb....it only happens after the car has been sat for a while...so it wont do it once youve used the car
Old 14th December 2008, 13:26   #7
Fille
Loves to post

I have found the source of the noise - it is the traction control actuator. On turning on the ignition, it does a full cycle test, ie it closes the secodary throttle and then opens it again. However, the noise is new, and as my t/c has developed an intermittent fault so I suspect these two are related... So nothing to do then but call the garage again...