Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th December 2008, 09:34   #1
babygizmo111

Rover 75 1.8

Unhappy 1.8 Heating/cigar lighter help needed please

Hi - am new to this - as well as 75's. Therefore this may be a (too) long a post - sorry
Acquired 1.8 in late november as a back up to my "normal car" and fell in love completely with it.
Keen to polish and clean and lavish love on my Rover (but not til the weathers warmer brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)
Until then I have a few problems which I cant seem to solve, no matter how long I spend looking around the forums (my eyes are nearly bleeding) and wondered if any of you lovely people would kindly help me?

I need to travel with a Tom Tom sat nav on some occasions and wondered if its ok to plug this into the cigar lighter - some threads say you can, some say you cant and the handbook says a defo no no! Can I?

The heating works ok after the engines travelled and warmed up - heaths the front ok - have trouble keeping windscreen defogged - but I have to keep the back vent closed or the kids freeze to death. Any idea what causes this pleas?

And the last . . I promise . . The car seems to be fogged up (and sometimes iced up!) on the inside when I go out to it in the mornings.
All doors and windows secure. Odd. Any ideas please?

Thankyou
babygizmo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 10:03   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Welcome along

The 75 has aq very good heating system si I would suspect you've hgot a water leak and the inside of the car is damp.

Check the plenum chamber ( have a search on here) and the check all the footwells and boot including the wheel well.

I've used my PDA in my cigarette lighter without problem.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 11:32   #3
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The vent above the rear ashtray is cold air only, the outlets for warm air are underneath the front seats.

For high power accessories like tyre inflators, a proper power socket should be used, but for low power ones like satnavs, phone chargers etc. the cigar lighter will be OK.

Last edited by raykay; 13th December 2008 at 12:29..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 11:43   #4
Paul H
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160+ Turbo. MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygizmo111 View Post
Hi - am new to this - as well as 75's. Therefore this may be a (too) long a post - sorry
Acquired 1.8 in late november as a back up to my "normal car" and fell in love completely with it.
Keen to polish and clean and lavish love on my Rover (but not til the weathers warmer brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)
Until then I have a few problems which I cant seem to solve, no matter how long I spend looking around the forums (my eyes are nearly bleeding) and wondered if any of you lovely people would kindly help me?

I need to travel with a Tom Tom sat nav on some occasions and wondered if its ok to plug this into the cigar lighter - some threads say you can, some say you cant and the handbook says a defo no no! Can I?

The heating works ok after the engines travelled and warmed up - heaths the front ok - have trouble keeping windscreen defogged - but I have to keep the back vent closed or the kids freeze to death. Any idea what causes this pleas?

And the last . . I promise . . The car seems to be fogged up (and sometimes iced up!) on the inside when I go out to it in the mornings.
All doors and windows secure. Odd. Any ideas please?

Thankyou
Hi mate

The rear vent between the front seats is for cold air only, so its best to keep it closed during the winter.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 16:58   #5
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The cigar lighter is quite low and some gadgets can restrict the gear shift - I think that's why the handbook says no. As long as your plug is short and the lead is kept clear, it should be OK.

Do you have the ATC or just the basic heater? The ATC has a demist function which will usually clear a screen in seconds (once there's a bit of heat in the system).
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 17:05   #6
babygizmo111

Rover 75 1.8

Smile Heating/cigar lighter

What a friendly and helpful crowd!
To Greeners - thanks for all round avice - will be checking this out as soon as light and weather permit

To Ray kay and Jambo - Shall only open rear vent when kids are too lively from now on then!

To Moonstone - I think its ATC as it has the econ button/lights and seems to do its own thing when you first jump in - have been reading book and fiddling about with it and I think with all teh advice and a hunt for the plenums it could be back in business

Thanks to all again - Merry Crimbo!
Tracey
babygizmo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 20:00   #7
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Hi Babygizmoo111

If you have ATC, the air-con needs to be kept on in damp weather, winter or summer to de-humidify the incoming air. Basically the air con cools the air down which takes out the water vapur, and the heater then heats it up; seems funny but that is the way it keeps the dampness out !

Of course if you are low on air-con refrigerant (gas) (R134) the cooling will not be there and you get all the misting. In addition to all this, if the plenum chamber has water in it, the general dampness can overwhelm the air-con. The pollen filter can be soaked for instance.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote