Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2024, 21:22   #1
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Default Warning light

Hello everyone,,,Ok, so my battery warning light came on a few weeks back and eventually the car (Facelift diesel Auto Tourer) ground to a halt due to a flat battery.. been there before and familiar with the problem rectification so a new 2 pin brush unit was ordered from DMGRS and duly fitted…..and then ……..the engine was fired up…..guess what????……the light stayed on….and still wont go out!!!!

I have checked fuses in particular fuse 36, 5 amp, in fact all 5 amp fuses are intact. I know i may be missing something.
The original ‘denso’ regulator brushes were still very much serviceable (10mm) and the slip rings were unworn and duly lightly cleaned. The alternator is clear of any oil and other apparent damage. The new set from DMGRS was fitted regardless to hopefully sort the issue of no alternator output, but to no avail,,!!!

So guys, any pointers would be helpful here as my girl is sat on the drive and wasting away! She is at 98000 miles (owned since 56000 miles) on original Denso 2 pin alternator and one of Matt’s regulators. If it’s a new alternator to be had, then so be it but I would like to try all avenues before i spend money unecessarily.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 8th March 2024 at 22:12..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2024, 22:31   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Have you checked that ALL connections plugs and earths , including body earths and battery clamps are good . Is there any current output at the battery terminals whilst running ? The renewed items that you have fitted are not always the problem, but usually are the case. There is also a bridge rectifier with diodes that can and do burn out. This is a separate part within the alternator and you can renew this usually from a car parts supplier ,if this should be the problem. I suggest that more investigation is required including a full battery dead cell and holding charge check , before proceeding. If the battery is at fault you could well burn out your next alternator ....
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2024, 01:36   #3
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Have you checked that ALL connections plugs and earths , including body earths and battery clamps are good . Is there any current output at the battery terminals whilst running ? The renewed items that you have fitted are not always the problem, but usually are the case. There is also a bridge rectifier with diodes that can and do burn out. This is a separate part within the alternator and you can renew this usually from a car parts supplier ,if this should be the problem. I suggest that more investigation is required including a full battery dead cell and holding charge check , before proceeding. If the battery is at fault you could well burn out your next alternator ....
Thanks for your response, Ok so there is only 11.5 - 12 volts at the bat terminals when running so no output from the alternator, the battery is a Bosch S5 replaced last spring and has not given any probs and holds charge well. The failure to charge came on all of a sudden and so the battery was pulled down to a useless state until put on charge at home.

I guess I need to pull of the Regulator again and check the stator and rotor for any continuity or earthing problems. Great videos on YouTube reg this process. Bit of a pain with alternator in place though, so I will check all connections and earths as you say first

If i have to take out the alternator, i would be inclined to replace with a new one inc belts etc to make it worthwhile job although at a cost.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 9th March 2024 at 01:43..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2024, 09:20   #4
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Another option would be to pick up a used working one from a trusted source , and transfer your new bits over. You then would have a spare to play around with at your leisure. ...
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2024, 18:16   #5
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

try cleaning the electrical connector and the contacts