Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st April 2016, 11:04   #251
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Above all guys what you need to do is stop the debris going down the plenum area in the first place either with my kits or any DIY method mentioned in 100's of places on here !!

I've run out of netting for a couple of weeks but you get the idea.
Spy holes, checking every week and worrying etc are a thing of the past if you follow all the good advice here and elsewhere.
I only check our plenums once a year or every 2 years when the pollen filter is renewed and diddly squat is down there plus I can see the road if I look straight down the drains !

The link in is my shop here:
1st post is up to date

Plenum Shield
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=68328

Or whole shop here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=74

Some enhancements to the kit are imminent

Regards
Jules

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:56   #252
The Apprentice

MG ZT-T

I've done my plenum check on my CDTi. This model has a grommet installed outside the the cover, so no need to take it off. Checked the other end and shone a torch down, a few damp leaves but nothing to be concerned with. I used an electrician's cable threading rod which comes in 300 mm lengths you can screw together. Three does the job, fortunately nice and dry.

So thanks to this excellent forum for the maintenance tip.

I also followed the string on the rear wash wipe spindle removal and overhaul. Again excellent advice. I didn't find it necessary to remove the large nut, this just retains the handle. Owners be careful to remember the order of assembly and be aware of the oil seal ring which stops ingress of muck. I just cleaned mine up with 800 grit and re lubed with copper ease. I leavered the spindle out with a large screwdriver between the spindle stop and barrel. The spindle should move very freely, all works perfectly now.

I've been busy, I also replaced the bonnet alarm switch, located on the slam panel, a right pig to remove. Needed to use two screwdrivers simultaneously on the left and right of the lower switch body to release the plastic spring retianers. Then it's idiot proof. Alarm's now stopped going off after 15 minutes of locking the car.

I'very just restored all my black inserts and wiper arms with 'black plastic restorer'. Got off eBay for eight quid, wow, great stuff, highly recommend it.

Thought I'd asked a technical quizz question. Did Rover fit their own gearbox to this model's BMW engine?
The Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 09:12   #253
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Have you checked the more inportant lower drains ?

One in front of pollen filter?
One under brake servo?
Sounds like you've only done LH one near bonnet hinge

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 17:29   #254
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have just bought an 02 plate diesel, do I need to check 3 or 4 drains? I can see how to do the one on the passenger side but how do I do the others?

Also, does anyone sell the modified panels, I'm a gal, and I don't have the tools to do my own.

Thanks
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 22:44   #255
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
I have just bought an 02 plate diesel, do I need to check 3 or 4 drains? I can see how to do the one on the passenger side but how do I do the others?

Also, does anyone sell the modified panels, I'm a gal, and I don't have the tools to do my own.

Thanks
Hi Dawn.
Check them all, how to check will be in this thread, or you could always have a drive to our meet this weekend 11th 12th you are more than welcome, you will also be able to get your car on a T4 for an health check.

The plenum trays and spyhole mod if free so are a few other things at the meet. Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 20:47   #256
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Hi, I will try, not sure if I can make it or not, as with work I haven't had chance to even touch the car since getting it Sunday. Just got it taxed tonight!
Old 15th June 2016, 09:21   #257
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, I will try, not sure if I can make it or not, as with work I haven't had chance to even touch the car since getting it Sunday. Just got it taxed tonight!
Hi Dawn.
Hopefully you got round to checking the plenum tubes if not I would do so asap, with all this torrential rain and flooding it would be most advisable to do so.

It is this sort of weather that catches out the owners, that is why I always say even if you have checked your plenums a month ago make it a weekly check after you have undertaken the spyhole mod it is only a matter of giving the plenum a rodding, the process will only take a couple of minutes if that and could save your ECU.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 18th June 2016, 13:28   #258
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Hi Arctic

I did do them, and even so the weather scared me, it came down so fast I was worried it wouldn't drain quick enough! I've checked again this morning, though, and all is well, its nice and dry in there now. I intend to get the spyhole mod done, as well as getting one of Jules kits, but the car really has a lot of niggles to sort, so it might take awhile to get around to everything!

It's off Friday for top mounts and springs and a full service inc PCV, and after that I shall be attempting all the other little jobs myself. I'm currently working on a boot leak, but I'll get there, as the car is a fun drive.
Old 22nd June 2016, 21:07   #259
amham
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

My thanks to Arctic and Avulon for their great advice. I've recently acquired a 75 Tourer and decided I'd better make the check that you both suggest. I obtained a pollen filter as it seemed a good opportunity to change the old one while I had it exposed.

The plenums were both bone dry but the water would have drained through a hole, the rubber drain pipe having been dislodged. Quite a few leaves and pine needles had accumulated so I sucked these out with a vacuum cleaner hose.

The ECU was just hanging loose, supported only by the wires that were attached to it! It's plastic top had come off too and was also hanging loose.

I fitted the new pollen filter, have secured the ECU and replaced its top, refitted the plenum drain pipe and pushed the plumber's pipe bending tool that you suggested (£3.98 from B & Q) down it to ensure that it is clear.

I'm so glad that I followed your advice and checked.

I'll do the mod that you suggest too to make it easier to "rod" the drain tube when I've done a few other jobs on the car.

I've fitted a new air filter too and am awaiting delivery of an oil filter which contains all three replacement o rings (the medium size one of mine is broken) so that I can complete my oil change.

Should be back on the road tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Alan.
amham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 21:32   #260
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi Arctic

I did do them, and even so the weather scared me, it came down so fast I was worried it wouldn't drain quick enough! I've checked again this morning, though, and all is well, its nice and dry in there now. I intend to get the spyhole mod done, as well as getting one of Jules kits, but the car really has a lot of niggles to sort, so it might take awhile to get around to everything!

It's off Friday for top mounts and springs and a full service inc PCV, and
Quote:
after that I shall be attempting all the other little jobs myself. I'm currently working on a boot leak, but I'll get there, as the car is a fun drive.
Hi Dawn.
Nice to get your hands dirty now and again, also great satisfaction in solving the jobs that need doing no better way to get to know your car

ad altiora tendo.