Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th October 2019, 13:07   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Irwin bolt extractors

I have never thought these to be any good, rubbish in fact. Even today the 10mm would not grip a 10mm spanner size bolt. Using some spring loaded adjustable grips I managed to undo the bolt a bit. The flange now away from the surface. Tried a bigger extractor and time and time again it failed to grip the flange and then eventually, gripped and removed the bolt.
Next 3 bolts all the same, 10mm sockets, spanner and Irwin bolt extractor all failed. Tried my last 10mm socket and it gripped almost removing the bolt but in the end the larger Irwin bolt extractor did the job.

At long last Irwin bolt extractors have done their job but no as easy as it has been had out to be.

I have moved from think rubbish to not very good.

perhaps it is 10mm that's rubbish and perhaps the surface to be gripped needs to be away from any surface below.

Are there any for left handed thread?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 14:34   #2
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I was considering purchasing these when i encountered a seized/rounded bolt while removing the front brakes - In the end i opted for a smaller size socket hammered onto the bolt - worked a treat for that particular bolt

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 14:47   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have never thought these to be any good, rubbish in fact. Even today the 10mm would not grip a 10mm spanner size bolt. Using some spring loaded adjustable grips I managed to undo the bolt a bit. The flange now away from the surface. Tried a bigger extractor and time and time again it failed to grip the flange and then eventually, gripped and removed the bolt.
Next 3 bolts all the same, 10mm sockets, spanner and Irwin bolt extractor all failed. Tried my last 10mm socket and it gripped almost removing the bolt but in the end the larger Irwin bolt extractor did the job.

At long last Irwin bolt extractors have done their job but no as easy as it has been had out to be.

I have moved from think rubbish to not very good.

perhaps it is 10mm that's rubbish and perhaps the surface to be gripped needs to be away from any surface below.

Are there any for left handed thread?

macafee2
They're imperial so what you think is 10mm is actually for 38"/af , and I know what you were using them for, as I bought a set for the same job.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 14:53   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I always thought these were generally used one size or metric sized less than the bolt would be, as the head would be rounded.smaller. eg for a 10mm you would use a 3/8 or 5/16th size. Making it a tight fit to cut into a now less than 10mm bolt head?

I have a set in the shed, bought a few weeks ago on clearance in homebase for around 12 quid. I have not needed to use them yet, but thinking it is better to be looking at them than for them at times like this.

Lidl do a set of what they call a 'speciality socket set' which has vertical spines instead of flats (less than 20 quid). These helped me when I was faced with a rear drop link bolt that was about to round off. But I had the subframe on the floor and stood on it when turning. I opted to use these once the 6 sided socket slipped off and lightly rounded the corners of the head. They felt very positive when removing this bolt, but that may only apply when only slightly damaged.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 16:01   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
They're imperial so what you think is 10mm is actually for 38"/af , and I know what you were using them for, as I bought a set for the same job.

Brian
The bolts holding the rear anti roll bar. I have fitted ordinary bolts and they have a 13mm head, must be less likely to round off. Cant believe they were so tight

I do need to get my self some decent 10mm sockets now.

There is an extension set, I will look at those as the box has a row of spare seats and one is 10mm

macafee2
Old 8th October 2019, 16:17   #6
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

I have been completely underwhelmed by the Irwins bolt extraxtors too. Angle grinder or dremmel when space is tight generally does a better job!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 16:32   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Just to restore the balance , I like the Irwin extractors
They have got me out of trouble several times
Old 8th October 2019, 16:36   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Don’t often bother with those type of things like irwin nut removers, just get out a mini inductor 2 heat the nut up break the rust seal and then just crack it loose using a decent six sided socket, not one of those multi splined sockets. My Bluepoint nut removers seem to bite better than the Irwin type ones, probably due to the material that they made from.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2019, 18:56   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Don’t often bother with those type of things like irwin nut removers, just get out a mini inductor 2 heat the nut up break the rust seal and then just crack it loose using a decent six sided socket, not one of those multi splined sockets. My Bluepoint nut removers seem to bite better than the Irwin type ones, probably due to the material that they made from.
Mick
Is it this one you have? https://theinductor.co.uk/product/mi...or-ii-md-800p/

The price is a tall order for us DIY'ers

macafee2
Old 8th October 2019, 19:02   #10
X10Rich
Loves to post

MG ZT+ 190

I used these to remove one of the bolts that hold the rear tow adjustment brackets.

They gripped so tight, I broke two extension bars before the bolt would shift......

Done the job though, and I could not get it out anyother way.
X10Rich is offline   Reply With Quote