Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2009, 20:26   #1
HARRINGTON
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Connoisseur

Default Rover 75 Failed Its MOT

My Rover 75 today failed it MOT on 2 rear springs broken .

Went to my local Xpart dealer a bought 2 new rear springs for a trade price of £116 all in .

On my MOT advisory it said offside front (rack end play inside @ track rod side) Steering system has slight free play detected at wheel [2.2.A.1b]

Does any one know what this means and is an expesive job to do and whats involved.

Would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks for looking
Brian
HARRINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:48   #2
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Hi Brian

On a steering rack there are two inner ball joints at each end covered by the flexible bellows. These joints are an integral part of the track rod assemblies. There are also two outer ball joints on the other end of each track rod, but these screw on to the rod so as to give tracking adjustment, the innners being non-adjustable. So any of these can wear, but as the inners are bathed in oil, they tend not to, and also are subject to less movement than the outers. However as the miles build up anything can wear out eventually, however well lubricated. If the flexible gaiter is holed then water gets, in the oil leaks out and its - end of inner ball joint ! Same thing happens on the outer ball joints.

The MOT statement seems a bit vague, and is only an advisory so the MOT tester has considered it within wear limits wherever the wear actually is !

Although the track rods, (with inner ball joints), like the outers are replacable without replacing the whole rack there is an increasing tendency for garages to just fit a service exchange rack which comes with track rods ready to fit, and usually the outer ball joints as well. It is a balance between cost of the new rack/fitting costs, and cost of ball joints, (lower than an exchange rack), but more labour time dismantling and fitting the new ball joints.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 21:01   #3
HARRINGTON
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Connoisseur

Thanks Fraser for the info.

I will ask the gararge tomorrow what the mean as i am getting them to fit the rear springs.

Steering rack that sounds expensive.

As its only a advisory don' t have sort it just yet.

This car has cost me fortune over the 3 years i have had it.

Brian
HARRINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 22:12   #4
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Not sure where you got your springs from I have a cost of £68.99 for two springs from an OE dealer ?
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote