Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2009, 20:59   #1
kobastal7953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default driving computer problem

Hi.I have a Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Sat/nav diesel/auto CTDI,2004.When I use the computer mpg for average mileage,it seems to work for a day or two,& then seems to stick on one figure.When I zero it,it seems to work again,but I seem to have to zero it again.Is there any chance that when it seems to stick on one setting of mpg,that everything is OK,& that I shouldn't zero it? Thanks for any help.Norman.
kobastal7953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 21:21   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The longer you leave it without a reset the more accurate overall is the displayed figure. So, when you check the 'stuck' reading and then potter around doing less than optimum driving, the computer 'realises' what's going on an doesn't make any dramatic recalculations until it's 'certain' that you've changed your driving style. It needs to take a lot of data 'samples' to do so. However, as soon as you reset it, the computer is starting from scratch again. It has no idea of your driving habbits and style, so it makes fairly rapid readjustments until it settles down. Resetting the computer is not the best thing to do to get a good/reliable result. It should be left to get on with it. Of course we all like playing around, so the computer duely obliges by shuffling stuff around so you don't get bored.

If you want the mpg calculation to be accurate (as accurate as any mpg figure can be), then do a few brim to brim assessments till you are sure your mpg figure is right. Then use the diagnostics mode (test 20) to adjust the calculator parameters . It will then be as good as the manual determination. After all, both use the same data.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 20:26   #3
kobastal7953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default Driving computer problem

Hi T Cut.Thanks for your advice.I'll leave the computer alone,& see how I go on.Cheers,Norman.
kobastal7953 is offline   Reply With Quote