Notices

Old 30th May 2018, 19:59   #81
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Just looked in to this post and in answer to your first question, I’m sorry there’s no cure to your addition and will remain with you for life.

Meantime to make things easier on yourself save some of your pocket money which will ease your addiction.

For a car of 22 years it sure looks good and the following owners cars show just what can be achieved.

Re the switches, I found with the SD1 a lot of the switches had started to dry out and some had corroded contacts. I stripped down every single switch on mine, cleaned all the muck off using electrical spray cleaner then re assembled the switches with a smear of petroleum jelly. I never had any problem after that.

Good luck with your future plans on the wee gem.
Thank you Jim, Its seems the old girl is the one to keep, even if she is going to cost me a small fortune.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:45   #82
Dallas
This is my second home

MG Rover addiction LOL I need my head read, why the hell I'm messing about with this MGF is beyond me.

I had another go at getting the top two cambelt cover bolts out this morning, and with a lot of patients and persuasion, I managed to get them out without damaging the two covers that much.

On inspecting the belt, tensioner and watepump they all look ok. After running the engine upto temperature and hearing the whine/drone noise, I reckon its the tensioner for sure. A light spray of WD40 around the rim of the tensioner and the noise nearly vanished, so its got to be a cheap tensioner that was fitted just two years ago which now has dry bearings.

Thats as far as I can go, if I meddle with fitting a cambelt kit, the poor car will never start again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5855 600x450.JPG (120.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5866 600x450.JPG (124.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5868 600x450.JPG (98.4 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Dallas; 2nd June 2018 at 14:16..
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:52   #83
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Nice one Wes
That's the hard bit done! Get yourself a new tensioner and belt and get stuck in. If you're methodical and follow instructions, it's not to bad a job. If I can do it, anybody can.

Pleased you've got this far though and, hopefully, sourced the whine

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:09   #84
trophy160
Regular poster

MG ZT & MG F TROPHY 160

Good work wes, as mininuts says get yourself the new parts and have a go at it. Imagine the satisfaction of getting it running and looking just as you want it. Best of luck mate

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
trophy160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:10   #85
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Nice one Wes
That's the hard bit done! Get yourself a new tensioner and belt and get stuck in. If you're methodical and follow instructions, it's not to bad a job. If I can do it, anybody can.

Pleased you've got this far though and, hopefully, sourced the whine
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy160 View Post
Good work wes, as mininuts says get yourself the new parts and have a go at it. Imagine the satisfaction of getting it running and looking just as you want it. Best of luck mate

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the encouragement guys, but thats as far as I can go, if I meddle with fitting a cambelt kit, the poor car will never start again.

I can do an engine transplant on a Ford Capri oh! how I miss the good old Ford Pinto engine, they were the days. I can even change the thermostat kit on a ZT190, but I have never performed a cambelt changed, this is something I have never delved into I'm afraid.

I once watched PhilT4 in action, and as much as I thought I had it all mastered in my own mind, timing up an engine is something I will most probably mess-up.
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:52   #86
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Thanks for the encouragement guys, but thats as far as I can go, if I meddle with fitting a cambelt kit, the poor car will never start again.

I can do an engine transplant on a Ford Capri oh! how I miss the good old Ford Pinto engine, they were the days. I can even change the thermostat kit on a ZT190, but I have never performed a cambelt changed, this is something I have never delved into I'm afraid.

I once watched PhilT4 in action, and as much as I thought I had it all mastered in my own mind, timing up an engine is something I will most probably mess-up.
This is the attitude I had until recently. Cambelt change? Nooo can't do it, tis magic.
Then I tried it. Took me a few evenings in total, but probably half of that was checking and rechecking everything was lined up right. All I had was a Haynes manual and a couple of YouTube videos. The feeling of smugness is immense when you turn her over and she fires up sweet as anything
You've got the backup of everyone here to help you through it.
Just think of the manpoints you gain, the next time someone compliments you on her and you say " oh yeah, done a few jobs on her, a service, a couple of bulbs...... Cambelt.....you know, just a few small things......"
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:38   #87
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
This is the attitude I had until recently. Cambelt change? Nooo can't do it, tis magic.
Then I tried it. Took me a few evenings in total, but probably half of that was checking and rechecking everything was lined up right. All I had was a Haynes manual and a couple of YouTube videos. The feeling of smugness is immense when you turn her over and she fires up sweet as anything
You've got the backup of everyone here to help you through it.
Just think of the manpoints you gain, the next time someone compliments you on her and you say " oh yeah, done a few jobs on her, a service, a couple of bulbs...... Cambelt.....you know, just a few small things......"
I know exactly what you are saying Dave, I've had that feeling a few times before, and its precious as you say.

But! If I go wrong it will be a very expensive lesson to learn, can you imagine.
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:41   #88
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
timing up an engine is something I will most probably mess-up.
Hard to mess up really Wes. Set to safe position, fit your cam pulley locking tool and you're pretty much good to go.
Make sure all timing marks are lined up and nothing has moved. Your timing should be exactly what it was before you started

When I did mine I found the timing to be one tooth out so, rectified that and it's running better than ever

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 00:37   #89
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Go on Wes have a go at it you'll never learn if you don't give it a shot sometimes its good too jump in the deep end you'll learn from it.

Doesn't matter how long the job takes if its done correctly and in a safe manner it can be done you just need too give yourself a kick up the back side and do it.

I did my first one on the probe with no help what so ever, I did bit research and I got too finally do it and guess what.

It took me a good few hours and I don't I was worrying so much, Mark everything if you can't see the timing marks propyl use tipex I did and since then timing marks are much easier too line up.

You've got the perfect site here if you get stuck your unsure of anything.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 16:12   #90
Dallas
This is my second home

I bought one of those 4" single din stereo's for the F, at least now I can drown out the dry bearing sound.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 600x450.JPG (103.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 6 600x450.JPG (114.7 KB, 48 views)