Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2009, 21:37   #21
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.M View Post
Wow, this is one active forum! i didnt expect to get so many replies so quickly!

All the cars im seeing are about 110,000 miles... is that scary high or will it last a good few years? generally, i mean.

I think i'll be going the diesel route... though to be honest, im being vein and i'd have either, whichever has the better interior!
Hi Adam,

The diesel is pretty bulletproof if looked after. It has a timing chain which is generally good for 250k before it needs changing. Weakest point is the clutch which can be expensive if it fails. I was lucky and had a warranty that picked up the cost of replacing both master and slave cylinders.

Dave (Stocktake) has extensive knowledge and will see you right.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the club.

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 23:07   #22
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Default 75 Diesel.

Hi Adam, Keith Alexander has a beaut for sale, I saw it today and it is a lovely Royal Blue,Conn. John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:18   #23
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Hi Adam.. Getting a nice diesel 75 will be the easy bit.. The hard bit will be when you have had it many many years and it has to go --- What else is there?
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:13   #24
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I'm getting to that stage in next year or maybe two at the most.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:36   #25
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Ellow JDC. You better start looking for a low mileage 75 CDTI auto estate NOW while there are still a few about, word seems to be getting round and they may get both more expensive and harder to find in the very near future!..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:49   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Won't be anywhere near as expensive as this one James....
I purchased new a few weeks before they went Bump.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:00   #27
Fraser Mitchell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Club Auto

Hi Adam

I have had my 2.5 Club Auto since March 2007 and it has been a marvellous car - been to France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy (as far south as Rome) in it. Bought at 43k and now on 79k. So far not much has gone wrong except a broken rear spring, and the driver door latch. I have also replaced all the brake discs, but these seem to be a service item nowadays; they do seem to wear quite quickly, but then they do on all cars.

Don't ignore the autos, it is a Jatco box and mine has been OK so far. I have had the fluid changed, but that's all. At least you would not have to pay for a new clutch !

I believe the diesels are the most economical and can be "tuned up" to get more power; there is a chap on this forum who does it, I believe. The K4 1.8 petrol will be OK but the car is quite heavy for such an engine, however the 1.8 Turbo is much better. You will hear plenty about head gasket failure, and my missus had one go on her Rover 25, but along our close, a lady has got a ZT 1.8Turbo which has so far been completely OK. Her hubbie has a 75 1.8 Tourer, again, with no problems. If it does go, the new MLS gasket and oil rail normally sorts it out. MG Rover were about to use these on their new engines, but went bust before any could be fitted.

The KV6 2 and 2.5 litre is a lovely engine but rather thirsty, and then there is the cam-belt job to do every so often, (all three of them !!). I had mine done at Lates in January who posts on this forum and charges a very reasonable sum. Cam belt on 1.8 is fairly cheap, and of course there is no cam-belt on the diesel.

If you don't want one with a pan-galactic mileage there seem to be quite a lot around with much less, but you will have to pay more, of course. It is possible to get these cars in almost mint condition for only a few thousand pounds, I paid £4500 for mine and it has been money well spent so far. I have not had any problem with spares, either. They are all available and quick to obtain.

I would think the 75/ZT has to be one of the best cars ever made by the British car industry.
Fraser Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:01   #28
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmrudragon View Post
Why a 75 and not a Zt
ZT would cost him a fortune on his insurance! Even at 24 would expect insurance on a zt to be £800 (I'm 25 myself)
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:05   #29
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Hi Adam.

Had my heart set on a V6 after getting the chance to drive one at 22 years old, 7 years ago. Love it to bits but it isn't the cheapest to run.
Haven't tried the diesel myself but a lot of members recommend them and some have tuned them up to 170bhp I believe.

As with most motors, if you can find a well looked after example and look after it yourself you should be fine.

Several recommended members on here for servicing etc.

Best of luck with the search.

Ben. :lol:
Funny story- back in 2005 I was looking at a 2.5 v6 75 at a garage and the guy was talking down to me, "oh you better watch out for the insurance, son" I swiftly pointed to my 540i i arrived in.
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:08   #30
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekosb View Post
Hi Adam,

The diesel is pretty bulletproof if looked after. It has a timing chain which is generally good for 250k before it needs changing. Weakest point is the clutch which can be expensive if it fails. I was lucky and had a warranty that picked up the cost of replacing both master and slave cylinders.

Dave (Stocktake) has extensive knowledge and will see you right.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the club.

Derek
Yes agree although £500 seems to be the norm for the clutch- I reckon i could get it done for £400? Not bad